Author Topic: Who Does Rondo Think He Is?  (Read 5673 times)

Who Does Rondo Think He Is?
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:20:57 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
"We've lost our aura of greatness" says Rondo according to a recent post on this site.

Hmmmm, I had no idea that Rajon Rondo has become the new coach of the Boston Celtics. When did this happen?  Couldn't somebody have told me? ;D

Seriously, I don't know why Rondo has all of a sudden become the voice of the Celtics considering he's the youngest player on the team, but maybe he should look in the mirror.

For all of his assists, tying Cousy's record, blah blah blah, he also causes alot of turnovers. Did anyone catch the pass he made to Pierce yesterday that landed in loge 16, row 23?

Or how about the two bad passes he made to Shelden?  At least he was shooting the ball yesterday and played decent defense.

Look, I think Rondo is okay but he's not great and don't understand why he's the one that's speaking up against the team.

I really hope Danny keeps his options open this summer. I would definitely shop Rondo and can probably get a couple decent players in return.

Now I am ready to be burnt at the stake :'(

Re: Who Does Rondo Think He Is?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:37:13 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
"We've lost our aura of greatness" says Rondo according to a recent post on this site.

Hmmmm, I had no idea that Rajon Rondo has become the new coach of the Boston Celtics. When did this happen?  Couldn't somebody have told me? ;D

Seriously, I don't know why Rondo has all of a sudden become the voice of the Celtics considering he's the youngest player on the team, but maybe he should look in the mirror.

For all of his assists, tying Cousy's record, blah blah blah, he also causes alot of turnovers. Did anyone catch the pass he made to Pierce yesterday that landed in loge 16, row 23?

Or how about the two bad passes he made to Shelden?  At least he was shooting the ball yesterday and played decent defense.

Look, I think Rondo is okay but he's not great and don't understand why he's the one that's speaking up against the team.

I really hope Danny keeps his options open this summer. I would definitely shop Rondo and can probably get a couple decent players in return.

I am the first flames!!! :o

I'm proud of Rondo for saying that!

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:55:31 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Rondo isn't the only one who has been down on the team this season... plenty of people have said things.

Rondo is the floor general. He has been the best player on the team all season. If he's going to step up and be a team leader, I can only see that as being a good thing... he'll be ready when the team is all his when Pierce, KG, and Ray are gone.

Rondo is the one player on this team you don't trade. He plays the point the way it is meant to be played. We are lucky to have our youngest player and our best player be the same person.

Rondo is not "okay"... he may not be "great" either, but he's a lot closer to "great" than "okay". He did just break the team's assist record and steals record... I think those are a couple really big accomplishments.

His shot is continuing to improve... in fact I think every year he's played since he was drafted he has statistically improved in the majority of categories.

Also... his comment was accurate. It may have even been too light. It's more than just an "aura" that they have lost.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:07:10 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Rondo's Improvements:

06 - 07       07 - 08        08 - 09        09 - 10

Minutes    23.5          29.9           33.0            36.5
FG%         .418          .492           .505            .512
Assists      3.8           5.1             8.2              9.8
Steals        1.6           1.7             1.9             2.4
Points      6.4           10.6           11.9            13.6

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:08:50 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
MattG12 - I agree with everything in your post except that Rondo's shot is continuing to improve. I swear, last night was the first jumper he has made in a month. His foul shooting has improved, but his jumper seems to be getting worse and he hesitates almost every time he takes it now, making things worse. If he could shoot at 60-70 percent of the level that Aaron Brooks shoots at, he would be vying right now for top point guard in the NBA.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
As the saying goes, truth is a defense.

Rondo is right.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:44:35 AM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
He's telling the truth.

In a way, Rondo is a coach of the Boston Celtics - but it has always been this way. Everyone, including Doc, has always said that the point guard is a extension of the coach on the floor.

I don't see why age is a factor? This whole focus on age and "veterans" this year is simply ridiculous. Keep deferring to the older players and see what happens... Paul Pierce isos at the end of quarters/games that NEVER work. Keep reducing the number of practices to keep your veterans rested and we wonder why we are so inconsistent and can't execute anything when it comes to crunch time.

His turnover/assist ratio is still top notch, but he can definitely cut down on the turnovers resulting from fancy passes and the traveling. But those Shelden plays - is that Rondo's fault for making a pass that Shelden can't handle, or is it Shelden's fault for not being able to handle Rondo's passes? Or perhaps the coaching staff's fault for not enough practices?

Because everyone else on that team (perhaps other than Perk, who also gives his honest opinion) is delusional and no one is willing to face reality. For example, Pierce realizes just now that maybe he shouldn't have played in the all-star game.. maybe he should have taken more games off while rehabbing his knee. Remember when Rondo tried to speak to his team last year by calling that ill-fated team meeting? I still think it's sad that your team doesn't even allow you an internal forum to speak your mind without everyone getting all defensive and mad at each other. I think the fact that he's speaking up publicly this year shows that he cares about the fate of this team. Even KG has said that Rondo wants it more than anyone on this team.

Yeah lets surround our aging 3 with a couple of "decent" players (while giving away our only young "good"/"great" player). Let's see more of Ray dribbling and turning it over. Let's watch KG create his own shot next year when he can't even make sure layups right now. Let's see more Paul Pierce isos now that Rondo's not there to distribute the ball.

I think I'm still reeling from yesterday's disappointment. In any case, I'm not feeling very optimistic about our team right now, but Rondo's our lone bright spot.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
rondo has shown the be the THE leader of the team this year.  If he has to make statements like he has to get his teammates going so be it.  Obviously whatever is being said behind closed doors (all year) isn't working.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
Maybe if Rondo would actually stay in front of his man on defense once in awhile---like in that game IN Houston---he practically made Aaron Brooks cry that night....I dunno, there's a TON of things wrong with this team right now.

Nate Robinson has pulled a "Marbury" disappearing act---maybe this is Doc's fault--but guys are just refusing to shoot when they are open---Doc had them all passing up shots I guess.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:20:21 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The comment is true and fine, and Rondo played a great game last night.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 09:56:14 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

rondo has been the best and most consistent player on the team all year. 

he is telling the truth about the aura. 

im thankful ur not the gm, bc he dont see what he brings to the table or his true value.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Who does Rondo think he is?  He's the best player on this team and will continue to be for years to come.

His back is getting tired from carrying KG around all year.

KG is the biggest joke of a player living off his past as any player I can remember.  I'm tired of his act, tired of hearing Jon Barry speak the truth about his play and just plain tired of KG.  Thanks for the memories prior to your injury over a year ago but for the last year plus you have played like a bench/role player and not the great player you once were.  Open your eyes people.

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:15:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Rondo is just as big a part of this team as any of the other starters (he's at least #3, and arguably higher), so he has the right to speak his mind.  He's right about the aura, too.

I'm hoping the team doesn't start buying into all of these theories of their demise, though.  It's fine for the team to realize that they're struggling, but I don't want to see them give up (which, frankly, they've done in games this year.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 10:20:04 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I see no problem with Rondo speaking his mind.  It not like he's picking on a specific player and calling him out.  Maybe he's trying to motivate the team to get back to that aura.

I do agree that Danny should keep an open mind about trading him.  While I love what Rondo does I also hate the fact that he can't shoot.  He's a great PG for a running team but this is a half court team.  We need a PG that can shoot.  If this team had Nash, Billups or even a guy like Mo Williams I think this team would be better.  I'm not saying Mo Williams is better than Rondo, just maybe a better fit because he can spread the offense.

If Danny can get a better fit and maybe more assets he should at least consider trading him.  Especially if it could pry open that "window" for one more year.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
He's right. And he probably thinks he's the best player on the team.

And he's probably right.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.