Author Topic: If Kobe = Championship for C's...Would you want him?  (Read 10153 times)

Re: If Kobe = Championship for C's...Would you want him?
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2010, 07:35:29 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
No!

You have to leave youreself some space to say no to such questions, otherwise all the reasons for being a sports fan in the first place just kind of fly out the window....
As KungPowe was getting at, all kinds of things would have to happen first.....(pierce having an affair with a Laker girl....KG planning his final year in the NBA with the Lakers.......Ray with Lakers flags in his bedroom......Kobe with Celtic flags under his bed, an affair with a Celtic dancer, video footage of him rooting for the Celtics when he lived in Italy, etc.....

Since none of that is going to happen, of course no one hundred times over.....

I once got to listen to one of those tibetan monk types, age 80 looking 60, speak to a group about meditation......at one point saying that five minutes at a successful level of meditation is more rejuvanitive than sleep.(forgot how much sleep, quite a bit).....so someone in the room raised his hand and said:  Well, why not just meditate one hour each night and skip sleeping altogether?  The Monk's answer was no, of course we need to sleep (at least five hours according to him), and he added that "If you really meditate, a question like this won't arise."  In other words, very silly question, produced by a mind very removed from the meditation game.

So, No to the Kobe question a hundred times over!  And get back in a Celtics frame of mind!

;D

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2010, 08:08:16 AM »

Offline Hila

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
Sometimes I torture myself by asking myself this very question.

Of course it's an irrelevant hypothetical. Kobe wouldn't come to the C's... he's all set in LA. And Kobe wouldn't guarantee the Celtics a championship... nothing does, least of all a personality as historically problematic as Kobe's.

But if the basketball goods offered me this deal? The answer is no.

I just couldn't root for Kobe Bryant.

If the Celtics could have had other Lakers icons--Magic, Kareem-- at or just past their primes, I'd say yes.

But I can't root for Kobe.

I know that the players I like, Celtics and otherwise, are imperfect human beings.

And I know that I don't know what happened in that hotel room in Colorado.

But I know that he trotted his newly bribed wife out to sit beside him as he gave that stupid statement.

I know he switched his story from "she's a psycho, I never had sex with her" to "I misspoke, I meant to say it was consensual." Yeah, I make that slip of the tongue all the time so I totally understand.

I know part of his defense was "well, I have this mistress who lets me choke her while I do her from behind, so I thought ANY woman would let me choke her and didn't feel the need to ask."

I know part of his defense was "I'm Kobe Bryant, no woman would ever turn me down, every woman in the world finds my smirking, vicious ratface attractive."

I know he threw Shaq under the bus for no discernible reason... how would saying "Shaq bribes his women" help Kobe?

The way he ran one of the most dominant centers in history out of town, and then whined because his team wasn't good anymore and wanted to be traded, was pathetic.

The way he (allegedly) refused to play for a small market team like Charlotte was pathetic.

I'd take the deal for any other player, Laker  or otherwise. But on a visceral level, I can't take the idea of looking up at a banner and thinking Kobe Bryant helped put it there.

I kind of wish I could answer differently.

I can't.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:06:12 AM by Hila »

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2010, 08:32:20 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Kobe in green? It will be hard because I'll have to vomit after every game.

In short, no ****ing way.

Didn't Russell used to vomit before every game? 

I thought the title of this thread was about winning a championship.

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
We'll never know the truth because he bought the victim's silence....just like he saved his marriage with a $4 million ring. I don't know if he is guilty or innocent...but to assume that someone is not guilty because of the absence of any witnesses makes no sense to me. Innocent people don't hush up their accuser by means of $$...just sayin'.

.........And people of character would follow through with charges if they were legit.... Instead of taking Bryant's "hush money".....Just sayin'....

My opinion has nothing to do with the absence of witnesses. 

I'd take Bryant on my team anytime.

Even without the "Colorado events" (as we might call them) I would have a hard time digesting Kobe Bryant being on the Celtics. His overall personality just makes it hard for me to stand him. Yes, he is a top 2 NBA player but that's about the prettiest thing you could say about him.

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2010, 03:40:38 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
No No No No No No NO No No No No NO NO NO NO NO

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2010, 03:44:38 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Breaking News: Kobe just signed a three year extension with the Lakers rendering the reality of this thread ever coming into being a moot point.

Kobe Bryant has reached an agreement with the Los Angeles Lakers on a three-year extension that could be worth more than $90 million.

Bryant has had the contract sitting on the table throughout the season and finally reached agreement in the last 24 hours, sources say. He could have opted out of his current deal this summer and become part of the NBA’s historic free-agent class, but will now likely finish his career with the Lakers.

Yea..I saw that too...Is he really worth 30 million per year?
I would look at it instead as him being worth what he was paid over the length of his stay in LA. The restrictions on contract increases mean that players like Kobe and Lebron are actually paid far below their actually $ value to a team. If you can throw some more money at them at the end of their careers, it seems a fair thing to do. Personally, I doubt he will be worth 30m at 35, but he has been worth $30m in the past.

The Lakers are also a different story these days because they have enough excellent players locked up that they don't need much cap flexibility and should be OK so long as they are willing to take on luxury tax.

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Honest the goodness, I would have loved to have had Kareem Abdul Jabbar, play back-to-back with Parish, during the Bird years.

Let's face it, the reason why Worthy was *Big Game James* was Kareem's back cutter pass in the post, during his pivot into the Sky Hook position.

For the Celts, that means near perfect post play, as McHale would be that guy for the catch (and subsequent black hole plays) or worse, Bird and Ainge, on the outside for a nice open jumper.

Or a pass out to Bird for a decoy move to then find McHale open again.