Author Topic: Offseason goals, targets  (Read 10678 times)

Re: Offseason goals, targets
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2010, 11:07:29 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
My ideal off season would involve trading Perk, as part of a three team deal or straight up, to acquire a lottery pick or a young, athletic power forward who has under achieved so far: Anthony Randolph, Andrea Bargnani, etc.

I would also be down for signing Hakim Warwick, but not for too much. I've always been a fan.

Mike Miller would be the prime target with the full MLE.

I'm on board with giving Ray a two year deal for about 7 mil a year.

I don't know about Mike Miller.  With Ray and Paul a year older, and Marquis likely gone, we could use a defender off the bench. 

The guy who I really would LOVE to have coming off our bench, although I don't see how it would happen (Baby and Sheed?), is Kirk Hinrich. 
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2010, 11:34:39 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
The Celtics won't want to sign any player to a contract that lasts beyond 2012. Particularly not an older player who cannot be part of the ensuing rebuilding process.

So, would a player like Mike Miller be interested in that sort of an offer? Surely, he will have multiple MLE offers on the table and at 30 years of age a five year deal could be the last big contract of his career.

I was initially very high on trying to sign Mike Miller but over the last two months or so I've been wondering ... Does Mike Miller turn down a 4-5 year MLE offer elsewhere to take the Celtics two year offer?

I'm thinking any limits on the number of years on that MLE offer makes it a lot less likely that Mike Miller chooses Boston ahead of other teams.

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2010, 08:41:39 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
The Celtics won't want to sign any player to a contract that lasts beyond 2012. Particularly not an older player who cannot be part of the ensuing rebuilding process.

So, would a player like Mike Miller be interested in that sort of an offer? Surely, he will have multiple MLE offers on the table and at 30 years of age a five year deal could be the last big contract of his career.

I was initially very high on trying to sign Mike Miller but over the last two months or so I've been wondering ... Does Mike Miller turn down a 4-5 year MLE offer elsewhere to take the Celtics two year offer?

I'm thinking any limits on the number of years on that MLE offer makes it a lot less likely that Mike Miller chooses Boston ahead of other teams.

He's 30 and he hasn't shown volume scoring ability for two straight years, so I think that will scare off the bottom feeders with cap space and a lot of the "up and coming" teams looking for more of an impact player.  After two years on terrible teams, I think he'll be courting the contenders.

I don't think any of the contenders are prepared to throw 4-5 years of MLE money at Miller, so it will probably come down to fit and preference.  Miller would probably be the 3rd or 4th wing in most contending rotations, averaging 15-20 minutes per game.  With the Celtics he has the chance to average 30, seeing time at the 2, 3 and 4 and getting spot starts here and there.

I expect Doc to court him very hard as well.  His mix of elite shooting, good ball-handling and passing ability, good rebounding and veteran poise make him just the sort of player that Doc feels comfortable having on the floor (consider how much floor time Michael Finley has gotten), and that's before taking their positive history into consideration.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I just caught a game from that epic Celtics-Bulls series that we played in last year on NBA TV. I'll admit that I'd be pretty disappointed if we blew this team up after this season but this summer there will be a plenty of valuable free agents in the market so  I guess we'll have to see where we're at by the end of the season. As much of an advantage we may have with a team of veterans trying to stage another playoff run LeBron James and the Cavs have been known to be able to dismantle those kinds of teams, I mean look @ what the Cavs have done to the Pistons the past few years.

A team like this may need either a minor tweak or a major overhaul but either way it's still too early to tell, for me at least.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
My off season, which by the way is constantly changing:

Re-sign Ray Allen to a 2 year, decelerating $15 million contract($8.5 million in year one, $6.5 million in year two) and if possible make the second year a 50% guaranteed year.

Re-sign Tony Allen to a 2 year $4-5 million contract

Trade Rasheed Wallace and a 2011 2nd round pick to the Charlotte Bobcats for Nazr Mohammed.

Sign James Singleton and Raja Bell to veteran minimum contracts

Sign either Rasual Butler or Travis Outlaw to a three year contract using as little of the MLE as possible but if it requires the MLE. get it done.

Do a sign and trade in which the C's sign and trade Nate Robinson to the Golden State Warriors for a sign and trade of CJ Watson

Find a way in the first round of the draft to draft either Damion James or Quincy Pondexter and find a way to draft in the second round Sherron Collins.

So next year's team is

PG: Rajon Rondo/CJ Watson/Sherron Collins
SG: Ray Allen/Raja Bell/Tony Allen
SF: Paul Pierce/Travis Outlaw or Rasual Butler/Damion James or Quincy Pondexter
PF: Kevin Garnett/Glen Davis/James Singleton
C; Kendrick Perkins/Nazr Mohammed
Not too shabby Nick.  If this happened I think Danny will have had a very successful offseason.  TP for an intelligent and reasonable plan of attack. 

The only items that I think might be an issue or improved upon is:
  • Nate for CJ--if it doesn't happen and Danny just resigns Nate, I could live with that
  • Singleton and Mohammed are ok as replacements for Shelden and Sheed provided Danny can also upgrade BBD to another 4/5 combo player with some offensive skill
  • I don't know enough about the players you recommend drafting but if a decent big man is available, I would consider that as a more dire need.  Actually, every position other than PG could be reasonably improved upon if the right talent is picked so hopefully Danny grabs the best player available as he usually does. 

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2010, 03:23:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I am not 100% convinced those 4-5 year deals are out there at all, given his injury history, and the CBA ending...not to mention the number of teams strapped for cash in general.  I think a number of teams will be eating the MLE, and these 3rd/4th tier guys are the ones that will really suffer.

I think Miller would be a very interesting option on a 2 year (or he may even prefer 1 year) MLE type deal.  Obviously, we need to wait and see how the market shakes out, but I don't think its out of the realm of possibility.

The other interesting thing about a Miller deal would be that he could concievably step into Ray's spot as the starting SG, allowing the C's to explore sign and trades of Ray.  Maybe they could even work out some sort of 3-way sign and trade, with them giving Miller something more than the MLE, Ray going to a third team (perhaps one with some cap space after signing a superstar, but not enough to fit Ray completely, so they need to send someone back), and maybe a young player or draft pick going to Washington.

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2010, 12:41:40 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
After watching the Rockets game, I am thoroughly convinced of the need for speed and athleticism in the front-court.  Not one of KG/Perk/Sheed/Baby/Shelden showed the requisite foot speed and agility needed to hedge and recover on the Rockets 1/4 pick and roll/pop.

KG's gotta be transitioned into playing the 5 more.  He's still our best big man, but he doesn't have the speed to be a full-time 4 anymore, much less the designated speedster of our otherwise sluggish frontcourt. 

If we can't add an athlete like Tyrus Thomas or Amir Johnson, or at least a mobile big like Andrei Kirilenko or Boris Diaw, or land a player like Damion James in the draft, I don't think our defense will be able to add the extra gear needed to consistently shut down good pick and roll teams.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri