Author Topic: Offseason goals, targets  (Read 10686 times)

Re: Offseason goals, targets
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bosh has a player option for next year owed 17.1 million in 10/11. Its been fairly well documented that he wants out of Toronto. So assuming Toronto wants to get something for him instead of letting him walk. Rondo+ filler(6mil) might get it done.

Without getting a impact big man this summer we are toast next year. I would hate to lose Rondo but if you could get a Bosh to pair next to Perk I would.

Hmm.... yeah if you can get a guy like Bosh, you have to do it. And I guess run a 2nd string point guard free agent type as the starter.

Would Toronto be willing to take back Rondo and say Rasheed for Bosh? I think they might at least listen...

Or would Boston have to package Rondo AND Perkins with say Glen Davis? I might be down with this.

Rebuilding around a prime time 4 seams like a better path than rebuilding around an almost prime time 1.

Rondo will be prime time next year and better than Bosh in my opinion...

So you don't make the trade.
Probably because Bosh's option is an Early Termination Option and he will control whether he gets traded or not. The Raptors are no longer in control of Bosh's destiny. Chris Bosh is. If he early terminates his contract, he's signing elsewhere. There is NO incentive for him to do a sign and trade unless it is with a team he desires to be with. With KG here, I doubt Boston would be one of those teams.

Cmon Nick. He would be making 17 million and change and be on a team probably favored to win it all. Why would he not want to be here? Also Baby or Rasheed would probably be going to Toronto combined with KG not playing heavy regular season minutes next year I dont see that being a problem.
Sorry Fat John, I just don't think, given the way Bosh views himself and has talked about himself, that Bosh would come to Boston to be a 3rd or 4th banana. He really sees himself as an alpha dog or 1A type guy to Wade or LeBron. I don't see him coming here.

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Bosh has a player option for next year owed 17.1 million in 10/11. Its been fairly well documented that he wants out of Toronto. So assuming Toronto wants to get something for him instead of letting him walk. Rondo+ filler(6mil) might get it done.

Without getting a impact big man this summer we are toast next year. I would hate to lose Rondo but if you could get a Bosh to pair next to Perk I would.

Hmm.... yeah if you can get a guy like Bosh, you have to do it. And I guess run a 2nd string point guard free agent type as the starter.

Would Toronto be willing to take back Rondo and say Rasheed for Bosh? I think they might at least listen...

Or would Boston have to package Rondo AND Perkins with say Glen Davis? I might be down with this.

Rebuilding around a prime time 4 seams like a better path than rebuilding around an almost prime time 1.

Rondo will be prime time next year and better than Bosh in my opinion...

So you don't make the trade.
Probably because Bosh's option is an Early Termination Option and he will control whether he gets traded or not. The Raptors are no longer in control of Bosh's destiny. Chris Bosh is. If he early terminates his contract, he's signing elsewhere. There is NO incentive for him to do a sign and trade unless it is with a team he desires to be with. With KG here, I doubt Boston would be one of those teams.

Cmon Nick. He would be making 17 million and change and be on a team probably favored to win it all. Why would he not want to be here? Also Baby or Rasheed would probably be going to Toronto combined with KG not playing heavy regular season minutes next year I dont see that being a problem.
Sorry Fat John, I just don't think, given the way Bosh views himself and has talked about himself, that Bosh would come to Boston to be a 3rd or 4th banana. He really sees himself as an alpha dog or 1A type guy to Wade or LeBron. I don't see him coming here.

In Boston, Bosh would be the top banana. Ray and KG don't demand much. Maybe Pierce would try to hold the top spot.... but then he'd realize that he likes having a guy that can destroy an opponent in the paint.

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 09:00:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

Who would then get to replace Rondo...

Not many points guards out there.
If Boston made a trade for Chris Bosh and were offering Rajon Rondo as bait ...

The Raptors would likely be willing to include either Calderon or Jarrett Jack. Jack's contract is smaller so it would be easier to match up salaries with. 

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »

Kiorrik

I'm going to have to do some necro-posting in that thread of mine a few months ago; I get spasms when people mention trading Rondo. Seriously.

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm going to have to do some necro-posting in that thread of mine a few months ago; I get spasms when people mention trading Rondo. Seriously.

I would trade Rondo for the right player......

Seriously....

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2010, 10:28:08 PM »

Kiorrik

Seriously....
Oh stop it, silly! You're just saying that because you love it when I spaz!

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Seriously....
Oh stop it, silly! You're just saying that because you love it when I spaz!

Lol, no man I am being serious. But look, we all have different opinions of our team and players. All I know is we got screwed tonight by the corrupt officials and am proud of how the C's played. The old KG is looking he's starting to come back and Sheed played really well.

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 11:36:38 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Offseason target: Eliminate all NBA refs!  >:(
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2010, 12:45:56 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Amir Johnson

Good call.  He would be a nice pickup for the 4th big man spot.  He has been an overall disappointment, but if you put him in this system, and get him working with Clifford Ray and KG, and he could turn out to be a player.

I forget, was he a guy that Danny really liked in the draft, or was that Mark Blount Jr. down in Washington?
Yeah, it was Amir Johnson that Danny liked. He was on the board at the end of the second round. I think Blatche went early in the second.

Amir Johnson will cost around $4 million to bring over. I'd be bringing him in here to replace Sheed as the first big off the bench and to give Amir 25 minutes a night backing up KG + Perk. Same with Tyrus if Boston went after him.

I am not sure Johnson will cost that much.  I have a feeling that after the elite players are gone, a lot of teams are going to be closing their wallets, and squeezing the 3rd and 4th tier players.  Johnson, while still having a ton of potential, has been a big disappointment.  He has not been able to do much more in Toronto than he did in Detroit, where he was salary dumped from.  Perhaps a team might throw that kind of money at him, but I think more likely, he is going to be looking at a $2-3.5 million per year deal. 
I think $3 million per annum is the floor for Amir Johnson.

But I reckon it'll take at least $4 million for the Raptors not to make an equal or superior offer. I think Colangelo beats any offer below that price in order to hang onto Amir. BC has talked about re-signing Amir this season several times throughout the season. I do not think Colangelo will let Amir leave on a low valued contract.

It's going to be tough to snag Amir if Bosh leaves, unless Toronto finds a more offensively gifted big to throw their dough at.  It would be great if we could land him in a sign and trade for Big Baby. 

Still, I don't think the C's brass will spend much money on the 4/5 position.  I think they will try to trade Baby, Perk or Wallace at some point to try and get an upgrade, but I don't think they will invest any more money into the position in free agency.

I believe their free agency focus will be on solidifying the wings and the back-up guard spots. The first priority is obviously resigning Ray, which I believe is inevitable.  We don't have the resources to replace him and since when have sign and trades yielded equal value?

Replacing Nate/TA/Daniels is likely to be use of the MLE funds, as Doc hasn't found a comfort zone with any of them outside of narrow roles.   I think Doc will lobby extra hard for a playmaker or a wing with playmaking abilities to allow us to get away with an Eddie House type at the 1.  I think most signs point towards Mike Miller.  A Doc guy with shooting ability who can make an impact on the boards and move the ball. 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2010, 10:09:33 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
It's going to be tough to snag Amir if Bosh leaves, unless Toronto finds a more offensively gifted big to throw their dough at.  It would be great if we could land him in a sign and trade for Big Baby. 
Two of the three most likely destinations for Chris Bosh are Miami and New York with either Michael Beasley or David Lee going the other way in a sign and trade. So a strong possibility they'll find their replacement power forward there.

For Amir's sake though, I hope that doesn't happen and hope that he gets Bosh's minutes. He deserves to start and play big minutes. I'd love to see that happen.

Still, I don't think the C's brass will spend much money on the 4/5 position.  I think they will try to trade Baby, Perk or Wallace at some point to try and get an upgrade, but I don't think they will invest any more money into the position in free agency.

I believe their free agency focus will be on solidifying the wings and the back-up guard spots. The first priority is obviously resigning Ray, which I believe is inevitable.  We don't have the resources to replace him and since when have sign and trades yielded equal value?

Replacing Nate/TA/Daniels is likely to be use of the MLE funds, as Doc hasn't found a comfort zone with any of them outside of narrow roles.   I think Doc will lobby extra hard for a playmaker or a wing with playmaking abilities to allow us to get away with an Eddie House type at the 1.  I think most signs point towards Mike Miller.  A Doc guy with shooting ability who can make an impact on the boards and move the ball. 
Yeah, I agree. Unfortunately.

I think that plan will be a mistake and come back to haunt the Celtics. 

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

For Amir's sake though, I hope that doesn't happen and hope that he gets Bosh's minutes. He deserves to start and play big minutes. I'd love to see that happen.

I understand you love Amir Johnson, Who, but, are we talking about the same guy here? Amir Johnson, the guy with Toronto who used to be with Detroit?

How the heck can he start and play big minutes when he can barely stay on the floor as a bench player due to foul trouble? Over the last two years he's averaged 9 fouls per 48 minutes of play and is leading the league in that category. This is his fifth season and he is still a foul machine.

Yeah, maybe he's due for a breakout season but he's now been an NBA player for 5 years yet he's still averaging only 4 pts and 4 rebounds a game for his career. Personally, I think he's one of the most over rated bench players in the league right along with our Glen Davis. But at least Davis has proven he can stay on the floor and produce if given minutes. Johnson hasn't even been able to do that.

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

I understand you love Amir Johnson, Who, but, are we talking about the same guy here? Amir Johnson, the guy with Toronto who used to be with Detroit?

How the heck can he start and play big minutes when he can barely stay on the floor as a bench player due to foul trouble? Over the last two years he's averaged 9 fouls per 48 minutes of play and is leading the league in that category. This is his fifth season and he is still a foul machine.

Yeah, maybe he's due for a breakout season but he's now been an NBA player for 5 years yet he's still averaging only 4 pts and 4 rebounds a game for his career. Personally, I think he's one of the most over rated bench players in the league right along with our Glen Davis. But at least Davis has proven he can stay on the floor and produce if given minutes. Johnson hasn't even been able to do that.

True dat   tp
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Easy -- stop benching him when he gets two fouls in the first quarter.

Amir doesn't foul out in 20 minutes a night. His coach fouls him out. He could easily play 27-32 minutes a night.

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Amir Johnson -- a solid-to-good defensive player + good-to-very good rebounder + very effective garbage man offensively

Glen Davis -- a poor defender + below average but serviceable rebounder (although he wasn't when he played more minutes) + a skilled but inefficient offensive player.

I think Amir Johnson's contributions are a lot more valuable than what a player like Glen Davis brings to the table. Amir can have a good effect, a large effect for a role player, on a game without needing touches. Players like that are valuable.

Even if Amir never improves from where he currently is, and I think he can improve (defensively), he is still is a valuable role player who is more than capable of playing 25-32 good minutes a night.

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
My ideal off season would involve trading Perk, as part of a three team deal or straight up, to acquire a lottery pick or a young, athletic power forward who has under achieved so far: Anthony Randolph, Andrea Bargnani, etc.

I would also be down for signing Hakim Warwick, but not for too much. I've always been a fan.

Mike Miller would be the prime target with the full MLE.

I'm on board with giving Ray a two year deal for about 7 mil a year.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:45:54 AM by KungPoweChicken »