Author Topic: Paul Pierce: Toughest Player in NBA?  (Read 2281 times)

Paul Pierce: Toughest Player in NBA?
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
I'm a college student and currently got into a discussion with my friends about Paul Pierce. Pierce has suddenly shifted from one of the most underrated stars in the game to one of the most hated players. Once I said that I thought Pierce was the toughest player in the NBA, my friends flipped out and said he was a fake.

Pierce began his career by getting stabbed multiple times in his back and neck. For years he was leading the league in foul shot attempts per game. He risked life and limb for the Celtics, even during rough times. Pierce has never gotten a break from officials and has never received the same special treatment from the league as Kobe and LeBron. I remember a game a few years back where he was thrown down so hard driving to the hoop that he chipped his teeth on the floor in the process.

I believe that all of the doubts about Pierce stem from his injury in the NBA Finals. How can so many people think that he faked that injury? Imagine playing your whole life for one moment, only to get there and get injured. Imagine what must have been going through Pierce's mind. What turned out to be just a sprain appeared a lot worse, causing the trainers to not let Pierce walk on the knee until he was examined. His comeback in that game was one of the most emotional moments in NBA history.

What does everyone here think about Pierce and his toughness? Is there any other player in the NBA that you would say is more tough than Pierce? And what are some moments/plays/youtube videos that show how great our captain really is? 
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

Re: Paul Pierce: Toughest Player in NBA?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:08:09 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Pierce makes Kobe look like a dish of soft served ice cream.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »

Offline celticswillwin43

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 80
Pierce is the toughest player in the nba because he gets hit constantly and is allowed to be man handled by opposing players, with out foul calls.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Agreed.
Other than maybe Allen Iverson (who has gotten the Kobe/Lebron treatment), Paul Pierce is easily one of the tougher players in the league. As good as Lebron is, one of the reasons I don't like him is because he is such a baby. It seems like he cries after every play and every time he gets hit.

And Pierce definately got some unfair criticism in last years finals. But screw it, we won!!!
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »

Offline Dirk

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
Agreed.
Other than maybe Allen Iverson (who has gotten the Kobe/Lebron treatment), Paul Pierce is easily one of the tougher players in the league. As good as Lebron is, one of the reasons I don't like him is because he is such a baby. It seems like he cries after every play and every time he gets hit.

And Pierce definately got some unfair criticism in last years finals. But screw it, we won!!!

I totally agree here. Lebron cries on every play he goes near the rim, either he makes it or not, he turns his head over looking directly to the officials and opens both his arms to the sides. I absolutely can't stand it.

On the threads topic, I don't know if PP is the toughest, but he sure is one of the toughest. He plays very physical, gets hit a lot, always attacks the basket and the players trying to stop him, gets to the line a lot, all the stabbing incident, the tooth lost in a game, and others just tell you how mentally tough he is too. He overcame 10 long years of bad Celtics teams, only to become the captain and the mvp of this championship team over last years playoffs. He also has played a very high percentage of games during his career with the exception of the year we finished second to last were he was seriously injured.

Iverson is also very tough. He has injured almost every part of his body and has kept playing without complain.
the team to beat...
a force to reckon with...
just pick your poison.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:50:41 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Agreed.

I totally agree here. Lebron cries on every play he goes near the rim, either he makes it or not, he turns his head over looking directly to the officials and opens both his arms to the sides. I absolutely can't stand it.

On the threads topic, I don't know if PP is the toughest, but he sure is one of the toughest. He plays very physical, gets hit a lot, always attacks the basket and the players trying to stop him, gets to the line a lot, all the stabbing incident, the tooth lost in a game, and others just tell you how mentally tough he is too. He overcame 10 long years of bad Celtics teams, only to become the captain and the mvp of this championship team over last years playoffs. He also has played a very high percentage of games during his career with the exception of the year we finished second to last were he was seriously injured.

Iverson is also very tough. He has injured almost every part of his body and has kept playing without complain.
TP,agreed that PP is one of the toughest if not the toughest player in the league today.I don't know of any active player that has endured some of the things P has and still play the game at a high level.Today,i saw where D.Wade was asked who was the 5best closers in the game today,he said Kobe,PP,Lebron,C.Billups,cant remember the other one,but the point is,Paul is held in high regards by his peers as well.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:00:31 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The honor just might belong to Paul Pierce.  It would be close between him and AI.  I can't think of who the other contenders would be. 

This is one of those topics where it depends on the relevant time frame. For example, if you asked who is the toughest player of the decade, you would have to consider Ben Wallace in that conversation (yes, also AI and PP), but Wallace is clearly not that tough right now.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I agree that Paul Pierce is one of if not the toughest player in the NBA, and got a bad rap from the finals injury and an image that isnt deserved at all...and I agree it was one of the great moments in NBA finals history.
    the thing that sticks out to me is how you say Paul Pierce is such a hated player now...and he is very hated, and its something ive noticed since last season and even more so now...but really all that means is hes great...kobe bryant probably has more fans then anyone in the league, but hes also the most hated player in the league, its just the way it is
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:36:13 PM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce