Author Topic: could Rondo average a triple double in his career?  (Read 1921 times)

could Rondo average a triple double in his career?
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:56:29 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Rondo consistently puts up numbers close to a td, yet he rarely gets one, he often will have one of the categories set and the other 2 close, I wonder if by the time he's done he could get all three categories to a td level for the season - he's one of the best rebounding guards in the league, his scoring is almost at will at times, and he finds guys about as well as anyone in the league....
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: could Rondo average a triple double in his career?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:03:03 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
For the rest of the season or for the rest of his career?

Either way, I don't see Rondo ever putting up more than 6 rebounds over 82. He is a great rebounder, but it's not easy for a 6'0 guard to get that. I think LeBron only averages around 7 (?) and he's probably the closest to pulling an Oscar.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:03:25 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I don't think he could quite get there; but he could average double figure points and assists to go along with maybe, at most, 8 rebounds a game.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:05:41 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
For the rest of the season or for the rest of his career?

Either way, I don't see Rondo ever putting up more than 6 rebounds over 82. He is a great rebounder, but it's not easy for a 6'0 guard to get that. I think LeBron only averages around 7 (?) and he's probably the closest to pulling an Oscar.

For one season in his career...that's what I mean, I think its impossible for anyone to do it for a career, and its too late in the year for this year to be the one

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 01:09:57 AM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
Rondo consistently puts up numbers close to a td, yet he rarely gets one, he often will have one of the categories set and the other 2 close, I wonder if by the time he's done he could get all three categories to a td level for the season - he's one of the best rebounding guards in the league, his scoring is almost at will at times, and he finds guys about as well as anyone in the league....

Was Oscar Robertson the last to do so?  If so, I think that says how hard it is.  

The five leaders of all time in Triple Doubles are Oscar, Magic, Kidd, Wilt & Bird.  In his first 5 years, The Big O averaged a triple double, but only one of those years was an actual 3D.  Magic came close in both 81 and 82.  In fact he came 2.8 rebounds short of averaging a triple double for his career!!  1990 was the closest Jason Kidd ever came and that wasn't as close as Magic's two best years.  Wilt's numbers in 67 & 68 are mind numbing, each time coming very close to averaging a triple double with scoring and rebounding both in the 20's!  Bird was always about 3+ assists away each year.

So I say no -- but would love to see it, it's my favorite stat.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 01:11:57 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Unless it is Points, Assists and Steals - No. He is a good rebounder at his position but with Perkins, Davis, Powe, Walker, and future draft picks to reinforce the front line there seems to be plenty of help down there for rebounding.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 01:12:19 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
While this is an interesting question, I actually hope it never happens because basically that would mean that we have no better rebounder than a fiesty 6'1" guard.  Now, a double double with poins and assists I think is very likely and that may happen as early as next season.  

I love Rondo!

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 01:12:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No he can't, its too hard and would require him to dominate the ball more.

Plus as good of a rebounder as he is for a point he'll never ever sniff 10 rebounds a game. Its tough for seven foot front court players who are near the basket more often to get ten a game, for a point guard of his size its impossible.

I can certainly see 10+ points and 10+ assists. But the rebounds or steals won't be there for him. For all the hype about LeBron averaging a triple double he only has a few this entire year. If LeBron can't do it at his size, usage, and skill Rondo can't.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 01:16:58 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
No he can't, its too hard and would require him to dominate the ball more.

Plus as good of a rebounder as he is for a point he'll never ever sniff 10 rebounds a game. Its tough for seven foot front court players who are near the basket more often to get ten a game, for a point guard of his size its impossible.

I can certainly see 10+ points and 10+ assists. But the rebounds or steals won't be there for him. For all the hype about LeBron averaging a triple double he only has a few this entire year. If LeBron can't do it at his size, usage, and skill Rondo can't.

I don't see it as likely either, but I guess the way I look at it is, he soemtimes will grab 14 in a game, sometimes 6 - those numbers could even out over a season, especially if he's on a team that has less rebounding ability - he also grabs a bunch of offensive boards... but its a longshot, but I think if anyone in our lifetime does it, it'd be lebron or rondo, and hey that's good company