Author Topic: Celtics vs Spurs and Cavs - proof why Boston should be feared  (Read 3930 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I have said here before, I think the negativity and doom and gloom associated with this team during their time of crisis has been astounding and bothersome. I just don't understand good, smart basketball and Celtics fans not reailzing that this team was decimated with injuries and that it would eventually take it's toll. The Celtics became a different team and losses, to whomever(Clippers, Bucks, Heat) were going to be an inevitability. You just can't lose a third of your roster and think that wins are going to continue at an 80% clip. It just doesn't happen.

But if the two losses against the Heat and Magic and the two wins versus the Cavaliers and Spurs have taught us anything, it is that Boston should be feared by other teams big time come the playoff season. This team, although still hurting with Ray nursing an elbow, Rondo hobbling with an ankle, KG not able to give more than 15 minutes, Baby barely back, Pierce fighting exhaustion, Eddie nursing an ankle and Scal, Tony, and Leon out, went down to Texas and beat the Spurs on their home court. San Antonio, in case anyone hadn't noticed, had a pretty decent home record and is considered one of the 4-5 best teams in the league.

Two Fridays ago, the Celtics slapped around the Cavaliers and King James in Boston when they had even more people out hurt. That's two of the best four other teams in the league, beaten within a two week span where Boston was reduced to being a team on intravenous due to an epidemic of injuries. Yet, some of the smartest basketball minds around the nation and at this site were writing out an early eulogy for this team's 2008-09 season.

Shame on you people!!!

If these games proved anything it is that these Celtics are the team to beat come this June no matter where they play. They have weathered the storm and are beginning to get healthier. They have KG back for one game and the intensity on defense returns immediately. The swagger is back. The confidence is there. And the heart of a champion that showed itself through and through during some courageous basketball during this stretch, just keeps beating stronger than ever.

Watch out league. KG will be back to full strength and minutes within a 10 day period. Tony and Leon will be back before the playoffs. The chemistry will flare up again and the Celtics will definitely be THE team to be reckoned with come playoff time. They will be the proverbial, Team No One Wants To Play, once the regular season ends.

If they can win games, and not just games but big games against big time opponents, while in their M*A*S*H unit mode, no one is going to tell me that when they are back to near full strength, which will just so happen to coincide with the beginning of the playoffs, they will not be the team to beat. They are CHAMPIONS to the nth degree and have been showing that in every game. No game has been out of reach. No game was a lost cause and over before it began.   

So have faith all you who might have doubted or might have been overwhelmed during this trying time. Even the most faithful and biggest fans can sometimes get nervous during a crisis. But the crisis is subsiding and the true nature of this team perserved and remains and will begin to assert itself once again.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:09:50 AM by nickagneta »

Re: Celtics vs Spurs and Cavs - proof why Boston should be feared
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 05:41:50 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
It's always nice to see optimism coming from a C's fan these days.  I'd agree for the most part, but don't forget there was a string of games we lost, several of them to bad teams, before KG was out and we had the other injuries.

After we lost to the Lakers we went into a little tail spin where we lost to teams like Golden State, the Knicks, the Bobcats... you might say this was fatigue after the 19 game win streak catching up to us, but who knows.

My only thing is last year I felt like we ALWAYS played up to our competition.  Every time we had a big game on our schedule, I feel like we won it (the only one I can think of that stands out was the Jazz game where we lost by double digits).

This year it's been a little different, we've lost 2 to the Lakers, losses to the Spurs, the Cavs.. but either way I have no doubts that when this team plays its best basketball it is better than any team in the league, regardless of whether its Posey or Tony Allen, PJ Brown or Mikki moore comin off the bench.  I just hope they find their stride soon, and Marbury and moore can make some contributions.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:39:41 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP for the thread!

I share your opinion but as Junkyard mentioned it you forgot to mention that the team lost a stretch of games after the loss to the Lakers, when the injuries weren't plaguing the team (Perk was out for a couple of games though). Fatigue was indeed responsible of it but I think that the team was mentally troubled after this loss.

The disappointment all over the fans' community is due to the fact that the team doesn't dominate the league like it did last year. We've seen the C's struggle against though opponents and loose to many contending teams. I remember that their losses at home against the Spurs or the Lakers were definitely worrying the fans in irrational ways.

With few games left in the regular season I must say I'm pretty confident. Like many, the team made me doubt during the regular season : weren't they able to close games down the stretch anymore? weren't they capable of winning against the Lakers anymore?

Now, the Celtics are second in the East and not first anymore. They will probably finish second or third. But I accept that fact because I think that the fundamental difference between this year and the last season is that the Celtics are the defending champions. Most of the time, people seem to overlook this fact but it's really important. There is a big difference between being the top team in the league and being the defending champions. Last year, teams wanted to beat the Celtics because they dominated the league. They tried their best but gave up quickly when they saw they couldn't match with them. This year, teams come out with further more agressivity and desire to beat the defending champs. They don't step back when the C's are leading, they regroup and try to beat them no matter what. Even the loosing teams like the Clippers, this is a great thing for them (and maybe the only one) to say that they've won against the defending champions.

We've seen the Celtics struggle in first quarters at the beginning of this season : they acknowledged that they weren't used to see other teams begin the games witch such intensity and fuel. This season the C's had to adapt to their new status. These players had never been champions before, it was a big change for them. It's also obvious that the team had to deal with a period of doubts after their loss to the Lakers on the 25th December. They were on a 19 games winning streak and suddenly it was like the Lakers had stolen their crown (well, you could really think this was true with all the hype the media put around the game and its result). The emergence of Cleveland and Orlando as real contenders in the East also contributed to make the C's think that they weren't favourite anymore.

That's why I trust the Celtics more than I did last year. I can't blame them for being overconfident or too lazy sometimes during the season (against Milwaukee recently for exemple). Sometimes they don't want to fight till the end to win against a bad team that isn't making the playoffs but which is winning the game. You can call it lack of pride but I call it fatigue and I understand the C's' state of mind : who whill remember that the C's lost to the Bucks or the Clippers during the season if they ultimately win another championship? The playoffs are the only thing that matters. The regular season is determinant for homecourt and for the team chemistry but that's all.

The team didn't show up its intensity and A+ game during the whole season. Still, the Celtics are about to win 60+ games and finish second or third in the East. Moreover, the team will be healthy come playoffs time and, the most important thing of all, is that the C's are as good as they were last year, and I think they're even better. Just look at the games against Cleveland or San Antonio recently : the team played very well and showed an intensity and a desire that I hadn't seen them show for a long time this year. The kind of motivation and team effort that lead to championships.

Somebody on Celticsblog said, at the beginning of the season, that Pierce seemed bored. I think that it defines pretty well the C's stade of mind : they know that the regular season doesn't matter much (except for the two things I have mentioned earlier) and can't wait to fight for a repeat in the playoffs. The win against Cleveland without KG was just a teaser of what we'll see in the playoffs : a Celtics team truly focused, though to beat and making everything to bring banner #18 in Boston. You may say I'm too optimistic but I just trust the team and I'm sure the C's will show how good they are come playoffs time. I'm not saying that the road will be easy but I really like the C's' chances.

The team is considered as an underdog in the media (Cleveland and L.A come first) and it's a good sign. The C's played their best basketball of the playoffs against Detroit and L.A when they weren't the favourites anymore against their two opponents.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 08:58:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 10:08:40 AM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
TP for thread. This team is definitely better than the Cavaliers when fully healthy.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:57:56 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think the frustration..at least for me...was watching them play without KG and dominate teams like phoenix, denver, cleveland only to lose to the scrub teams...you knew they could compete when they played with some fire...which i think was lacking at times without KG...bottom line is they are going to have to win a game on the road anyway...might as well be one at cleveland. i want home court vs orlando. i don't think the cavs are as good as everyone in the media says they are

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Remember what Rudy Tomjanovich had said, when the media had written off the Rockets as repeat champions...

"Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!"

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 01:03:43 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
i think the frustration..at least for me...was watching them play without KG and dominate teams like phoenix, denver, cleveland only to lose to the scrub teams...you knew they could compete when they played with some fire...which i think was lacking at times without KG...

Those were my concerns as well. If they can't get up to play Milwaukee, how are they going to do it against the good teams. I obviously panicked, and I think it helps to look at the Spurs as an example of a team that frequently loses to teams it shouldn't but plays well when it counts. If the Cs coast a little, so what? As long as they are up for the big games, that's what matters. And obviously, with wins over Cleveland and SA and a near loss after a horrific first half against Orlando, they are doing that. So I'm holding off on the panic....But if they lose to Memphis tonight, I'm fully prepared to go back into panic mode.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 01:16:01 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
As I have said here before, I think the negativity and doom and gloom associated with this team during their time of crisis has been astounding and bothersome. I just don't understand good, smart basketball and Celtics fans not reailzing that this team was decimated with injuries and that it would eventually take it's toll. The Celtics became a different team and losses, to whomever(Clippers, Bucks, Heat) were going to be an inevitability. You just can't lose a third of your roster and think that wins are going to continue at an 80% clip. It just doesn't happen.

But if the two losses against the Heat and Magic and the two wins versus the Cavaliers and Spurs have taught us anything, it is that Boston should be feared by other teams big time come the playoff season. This team, although still hurting with Ray nursing an elbow, Rondo hobbling with an ankle, KG not able to give more than 15 minutes, Baby barely back, Pierce fighting exhaustion, Eddie nursing an ankle and Scal, Tony, and Leon out, went down to Texas and beat the Spurs on their home court. San Antonio, in case anyone hadn't noticed, had a pretty decent home record and is considered one of the 4-5 best teams in the league.

Two Fridays ago, the Celtics slapped around the Cavaliers and King James in Boston when they had even more people out hurt. That's two of the best four other teams in the league, beaten within a two week span where Boston was reduced to being a team on intravenous due to an epidemic of injuries. Yet, some of the smartest basketball minds around the nation and at this site were writing out an early eulogy for this team's 2008-09 season.

Shame on you people!!!

If these games proved anything it is that these Celtics are the team to beat come this June no matter where they play. They have weathered the storm and are beginning to get healthier. They have KG back for one game and the intensity on defense returns immediately. The swagger is back. The confidence is there. And the heart of a champion that showed itself through and through during some courageous basketball during this stretch, just keeps beating stronger than ever.

Watch out league. KG will be back to full strength and minutes within a 10 day period. Tony and Leon will be back before the playoffs. The chemistry will flare up again and the Celtics will definitely be THE team to be reckoned with come playoff time. They will be the proverbial, Team No One Wants To Play, once the regular season ends.

If they can win games, and not just games but big games against big time opponents, while in their M*A*S*H unit mode, no one is going to tell me that when they are back to near full strength, which will just so happen to coincide with the beginning of the playoffs, they will not be the team to beat. They are CHAMPIONS to the nth degree and have been showing that in every game. No game has been out of reach. No game was a lost cause and over before it began.   

So have faith all you who might have doubted or might have been overwhelmed during this trying time. Even the most faithful and biggest fans can sometimes get nervous during a crisis. But the crisis is subsiding and the true nature of this team perserved and remains and will begin to assert itself once again.

Nick, I like your sentiment, but there is something to be said about getting everyone necissary back in time to develop some on-court chemistry again.

The last thing I want to see from this team is having to START the first round of the playoffs needing to use it as the time to get their final rotation playing together.

5-7 games of play with their playoff rotation would be much prefered - I think outside of TA and Scal, that'll happen, but it can't be discounted.

I think this is the team to beat when healthy, but that health has to come in time to re-establish and it must REMAIN...my biggest fear is that the team will sustain additional injuries before the playoffs conclude...

Regardless, this team can certainly play, but Pierce is almost completely useless right now, having had 2 good games in the last month basically - he's out of gas -  the rest of the rotation is in a holding pattern waiting to get bodies back -

I think they'll have enough time to get their house in order, but lets not pretend we're not in a race against time - we all know this team is a champion, but we need to see the champion team together and with some run under their belts before any of us can seriously assume they'll be able to harness their maximum level of play come June.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 01:29:03 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Shame on you people!!!

Nick, I like your sentiment, but there is something to be said about getting everyone necissary back in time to develop some on-court chemistry again.

The last thing I want to see from this team is having to START the first round of the playoffs needing to use it as the time to get their final rotation playing together.

5-7 games of play with their playoff rotation would be much prefered - I think outside of TA and Scal, that'll happen, but it can't be discounted.

I think this is the team to beat when healthy, but that health has to come in time to re-establish and it must REMAIN...my biggest fear is that the team will sustain additional injuries before the playoffs conclude...

Regardless, this team can certainly play, but Pierce is almost completely useless right now, having had 2 good games in the last month basically - he's out of gas -  the rest of the rotation is in a holding pattern waiting to get bodies back -

I think they'll have enough time to get their house in order, but lets not pretend we're not in a race against time - we all know this team is a champion, but we need to see the champion team together and with some run under their belts before any of us can seriously assume they'll be able to harness their maximum level of play come June.

BFB, what do you think the playoff rotation will be?

i kinda think we are essentially there with:

Mar
House
Powe
BBD
Mikki

maybe Scals would get some minutes in an ORL series and TA would get some time on LBJ in a CLE series, but i don't know that either of those guys are in line for major minutes at this point anyway.

especially with the addition of Marbury who is already only getting 12-15 MPG even playing some at backup SG.

and how much more can you reduce the MPG of Eddie being the only consistent outside threat off the bench?

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 01:44:58 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i dont see them losing tonight...pierce wont have 2 bad games back to back....and i think we will see KG's minutes increased tonight

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 01:48:03 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
just thinking about bench minutes in the playoffs for a sec here.

let's say in the playoffs:

Rondo - 38 MPG
Ray - 38 MPG
Paul - 38 MPG
KG - 34 MPG (injury in mind)
Perk - 34 MPG

Ray also will probably get the majority of time at backup SF. so 10 of Ray's minutes will be at SF and thus 28 MPG at SG.

that leaves:

10 MPG backup PG
20 MPG backup SG
0 MPG backup SF
14 MPG backup PF
14 MPG backup C

Steph get 10 MPG backup PG + 5 MPG backup Sg
Eddie gets 15 MPG backup SG
Leon gets 14 MPG backup PF
BBD gets 14 MPG backup C

Mikki gets minutes where the matchup better suits him than BBD or Leon.
Scals (if healthy) gets the same minutes where match ups suit him.
TA gets minutes from Eddie and Mar where match ups suit him, but not too sure about taking  minutes away from either Eddie or Mar...

side note - this is apart from injuries that could happen and/or foul trouble that could develop from game to game...

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i think your minutes are slightly  low for paul and allen, doc is going to play them both 40 on most nights.

He should turn rondo loose for 40 depending on preformance, but we'll see.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 02:32:42 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
i think your minutes are slightly  low for paul and allen, doc is going to play them both 40 on most nights.

He should turn rondo loose for 40 depending on preformance, but we'll see.

True.  But we're going to need somebody able to step in if either gets in foul trouble.  Eddie might work as the backup 2-3 for 10 minutes or so a night; however, against Cleveland if Paul gets in foul trouble, we're going to need Tony Allen (or maybe even Bill Walker) to hound LeBron. 

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
What I love is that to get back into shape and rhythm, KG's minutes will stay up around 30-35 during this last month unlike last year.  I've said this on this blog before...I feel for those we meet during the last month as we gear up for the playoffs. 

While I hope that Paul and Ray start to have reduced minutes, it may not be as much as we'd all like, especially if Orlando won't go away.  However, if we're healthy, I'll take that over highly rested.  The rest last year was short-lived anyway once we went 7 games in the first two rounds.  I don't expect the struggles in the post-season this year until Cleveland in the ECF. 

Man, this is good to say and mean it.