Author Topic: Defending 2008 NBA Championship Title versus Fighting for 2009 NBA Title  (Read 1952 times)

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Ok, I will start off by saying I know some of you would say this really doesn't matter at all but I personally don't like the idea of defending a title in any sport.
It's a question of state of mind, mental approach to the championship quest...

In today's Legler article http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090320 on ESPN he stated that the C's were mentally tough after what they have been through in last year's playoff...

As much as I do understand that point I still think that considering ourselves the defending champions is not the right mental approach for repeating this year...

I think for us to leverage that toughness (that incited Legler to implicitly pick us as his favorite to win it all in June) the team needs to change that idea of defending champs to adopt an idea of going to war to win a brand new title...
You ain't defending the 2008 title you are fighting for a new one! Forget about last year and go battle it out for a brand new title!

That mental approach might seem meaningless but I think it's the best way to leverage our mental toughness...

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Agreed.  Ray Allen said that Michael Jordan told him "Guys who win it all once are just lucky," as a way of saying that we still haven't proven anything.  In a way, it the perfect way of regaining that chip on our shoulder that made this team so successful last postseason.

P.S. anyone who thinks a teams frame of mind "doesn't really matter" is nuts...

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
This is an interesting point.  Last year the team seemed to rally around the UBUNTU idea.  This year, there doesn't seem to be a rallying point, and that is a bit troubling.  I am not that worried though.  Teams like the Spurs don't seem to have something to rally around.  The goal is always to make it to the post season, then play their hearts out.

Celtics fan for life.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I suppose the advantage of being the defending champs, is that the team has been there before. They know exactly what it takes, and should have better poise. The team shouldn't get bent out of shape during the highs and lows of winning and loosing by small margins or big margins. The team shouldn't go crazy when one side or the other is on a run. That is our advantage.

That is what gives the Spurs a chance as well. The Lakers (outside of Fisher and Kobe) can be rattled. The Cavs can be rattled. The Magic (who haven't been far at all in the post season) can very much be rattled.

This is gonna be a heck of a post season! I can't wait! Lets get healthy, get in gear and defend our title!! Go Celtics!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:12:26 PM by Mr October »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I suppose the advantage of being the defending champs, is that the team has been there before. They no exactly what it takes, and should have better poise. The team shouldn't get bent out of shape during the highs and lows of winning and loosing by small margins or big margins. The team shouldn't go crazy when one side or the other is on a run. That is our advantage.

That is what gives the Spurs a chance as well. The Lakers (outside of Fisher and Kobe) can be rattled. The Cavs can be rattled. The Magic (who haven't been far at all in the post season) can very much be rattled.

This is gonna be a heck of a post season! I can't wait! Lets get healthy, get in gear and defend our title!! Go Celtics!!

Mr. October, you have got me fired up now!
You should change your name to Mr. June.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I agree with this point.
I think the players understand this though. It will be a lot harder, IMO, to win it this year, no doubt. First order of business is to get healthy so that they can play at the level they are capeable of playing at. Second order of business is to prove that they can win away games in the first round. I'd like to see a first round sweep, or at least no more than a five game series.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
I suppose the advantage of being the defending champs, is that the team has been there before. They no exactly what it takes, and should have better poise. The team shouldn't get bent out of shape during the highs and lows of winning and loosing by small margins or big margins. The team shouldn't go crazy when one side or the other is on a run. That is our advantage.

heheheh, thx. If the C's have enough time to get healthy and get locked in for about 10 regular season games, I really like their chances.

The Magic's biggest worry is the Celtics.
The Lakers' biggest worry is the Celtics.
The Cavs' biggest worry is a toss up between Lakers and Celtics.
The Spurs' biggest worry is the Lakers.
The Celtics' biggest worry is the Cavs.

Our opponents have more to fear from us than we do of them. Can the Celtics get healthy? Will they have enough time to get locked in with each other? Yes and Yes. Go Celtics!!

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
I agree with this point.
I think the players understand this though. It will be a lot harder, IMO, to win it this year, no doubt. First order of business is to get healthy so that they can play at the level they are capeable of playing at. Second order of business is to prove that they can win away games in the first round. I'd like to see a first round sweep, or at least no more than a five game series.

The C's biggest weakness - no more Posey, no legit 5 to back up Perkins if he goes down, and overcoming the **** officials in Cleveland.

Lebron will probably average 15 free throws a game at home this spring.  ::)

Its gonna be harder this year. But I think our guys are up for the challenge. They respond well to being the disrespected underdog. Go Celtics!!

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'

heheheh, thx. If the C's have enough time to get healthy and get locked in for about 10 regular season games, I really like their chances.

The Magic's biggest worry is the Celtics.
The Lakers' biggest worry is the Celtics.
The Cavs' biggest worry is a toss up between Lakers and Celtics.
The Spurs' biggest worry is the Lakers.
The Celtics' biggest worry is the Cavs.

Our opponents have more to fear from us than we do of them. Can the Celtics get healthy? Will they have enough time to get locked in with each other? Yes and Yes. Go Celtics!!

I TP you, Sir.  You are a true fan.  I like your war cry!

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
And a teams' mental outlook is probably quite different than a fan's outlook.

Let's hope they are getting their heads straight as we did last year.