Author Topic: Playoff Rotation (Predictions)  (Read 4040 times)

Playoff Rotation (Predictions)
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:22:26 PM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
We all know Doc is going to shorten the rotation for the playoffs.  I think the roster as currently constituted presents some challenges, even if healthy.

PG:  Rondo.  Backed up by Marbury.  This one is easy.  I don't think they brought Marbury in to sit, and he'll be needed for his ballhandling against pressure.  House might occasionally play the PG situationally, when another shooter is needed on the court with the Big 3.

Wings:  R. Allen and Pierce.  But who backs them up?  House will obviously see minutes here, apparently paired with Marbury in the backcourt.  After that it's a tough one.  T. Allen may not be healthy and, even if he is, do we want him playing in the playoffs?  Scal's situation is scary with the concussions - I'm not sure if he should try to come back this year.  Doc's shown that he will occasionaly play Marbury with Rondo on the floor, but that doesn't solve the size problem on the wing.  That leaves Walker who I'm sure Doc won't play in the playoffs (rookie).  So, I'm thinking House plays the bulk of the backup minutes here, with Doc regularly using the 3 guard lineup where R. Allen plays the "SF."  This is not ideal, and is a real weakness right now.

Bigs:  KG and Perk.  I think Doc uses the backup bigs, Powe, Baby, and Moore, situationally.  While Moore does provide length, activity, and athleticism, he's not a good shotblocker and does not appear strong on the boards.  He's also horribly foul-prone for a veteran.  Because of that, I still think we'll see some of the Powe/Baby frontcourt when Doc feels Baby can handle the other team's center.  Obviously all 3 are inconsistent so Doc's juggling of their minutes to find the right combinations will be a real challenge.

In sum, I see Marbury and House off the bench getting regular minutes, with Doc using Powe, Baby, and Moore in a haphazard fashion based on matchups.  Clearly the backup SF is the big weakness in the rotation.  Hopefully, R. Allen, Pierce and House can form a three-man rotation on the wings without R. Allen getting abused on defense when he's playing the SF (he seems to do allright, for the most part).  T. Allen is the wild card and it's tough to know whether Doc will (or should) trust him to play meaningful minutes in the playoffs.   

Re: Playoff Rotation (Predictions)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think you have a pretty good handle on the situation.  The only minor differences I have is that I think that BBD and Powe will get the majority of back up minutes.  I'm not sure Moore will play that much but for him only, it will depend on situation and fouls trouble of others.  And has not shown me that he deserves to play over Powe and BBD, I do think he has added to this team.  Basically, I think that his presence has elevated the play of both Powe and BBD.  If for nothing else, I like the addition of Moore.

I think we are set at the guard position with Marbuery and House subbing in.  And as you say, SF is a weak spot.  The two best options Allen and Scal (yes, Scal) are both question marks.  If they are healthy, I would play each of them based on matchups.  I continue to believe that Scal can be a valuable member of this team.  Let's hope his health allows for him to show it.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:47:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think you have a pretty good handle on the situation.  The only minor differences I have is that I think that BBD and Powe will get the majority of back up minutes.  I'm not sure Moore will play that much but for him only, it will depend on situation and fouls trouble of others.  And has not shown me that he deserves to play over Powe and BBD, I do think he has added to this team.  Basically, I think that his presence has elevated the play of both Powe and BBD.  If for nothing else, I like the addition of Moore.

I think we are set at the guard position with Marbuery and House subbing in.  And as you say, SF is a weak spot.  The two best options Allen and Scal (yes, Scal) are both question marks.  If they are healthy, I would play each of them based on matchups.  I continue to believe that Scal can be a valuable member of this team.  Let's hope his health allows for him to show it.

I agree with all of this.  I really think the C's will be in much better shape if Scal can come back (which isn't likely IMO).  He can cover many SF's in the C's system, and also can be huge against some of the perimeter PF's that the C's may face in the playoffs (Lewis, Odom, Beasley, etc.)

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:51:10 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Yes, let's hope Scal can give us some regualar rotation minutes.  He can guard bigger guys and spreads the floor on offense.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Pretty much agreed with everyone here.

The majority of minutes will go to: Pierce, R. Allen, KG, Perk, Rondo.

Primary off the bench minutes to: House, Marbury, Powe, BBD.

Moore will get some minutes, but I agree he will be used situationally, and sporadically. 

It would be great to have Scals or Tony back (in that order), but we can't depend on either being back, or being in game shape (let alone playoff shape).

Walker won't play -- he hasn't shown yet that he can be depended on during the regular season (part of this is the ad hoc way in which he is used -- for example, the situation has called for him to play some PF, as I recall).  As a result, it is unlikely he will play at all in the post season. 

Pruitt won't play.  Giddens can't even sniff the floor as is.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Rondo/Marbury/House
Ray/Marbury
PP/Scal
KG/BBD/Powe
Perk/Powe/BBD

I think Mikki and Tony will be used situationally, unless they really turn it on and outperform others.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Rondo/Marbury/House
Ray/Marbury
PP/Scal
KG/BBD/Powe
Perk/Powe/BBD

I think Mikki and Tony will be used situationally, unless they really turn it on and outperform others.

I tend to agree with this.  In what situations do you see Tony getting minutes?  This is what concerns me.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 02:26:16 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Yes, let's hope Scal can give us some regualar rotation minutes.  He can guard bigger guys and spreads the floor on offense.

Can you imagine seeing this post a few months into the season? Truth be told, Scal was playing out of his mind right before his head injuries, but there's no reason to believe he could return to form even if healthy.  Much like TA right before his season ending knee injury a few years ago, Scal has shown many years of truly awful basketball before a brief run of success cut short by injury.  In my mind the jury's still out...

Rondo/Marbury/House
Ray/Marbury
PP/Scal
KG/BBD/Powe
Perk/Powe/BBD

I tend to agree with this.  In what situations do you see Tony getting minutes?  This is what concerns me.

I like TA filling in short minutes behind Paul, he's played well for us this year before being hurt, and I'm sure, since he's been fully mobile while injured, that he's in near-game shape right now...

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
The following 12 will dress:
Rondo
R. Allen
Pierce
Garnett
Perkins

Marbury
House
T. Allen
Scal
Powe
BBD
Moore

Assuming health. Walker will be the next off the bench.
Marbury and House will be the guards and Powe and BBD will be the bigs/forwards.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 02:50:12 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I don't think anyone will venture far off (giddens starts! etc)
Rondo a lions share of minutes at pg
ray sg
paul sf
kg pf (maybe some time at c depending on matchup)
perk c

rotation in order of importance
eddie both guards
davis pf c
powe pf
marbury pg (please doc no sg)
moore c come playoff time less than 10 min.
tony...health?? sg and sf matchups

I don't think scal will be back, I hope so but multiple concussions can end his career not just this season.  We could use him though.  If he isn't back walker might get 10 minutes in an entire series.
pruitt no show
giddens no way

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 03:46:14 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
9 man rotation:

Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett, Perkins of course.

And then:
House, Marbury, Davis, Powe

Depending on matchups the 10th man could be Moore, Allen, Walker

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think Moore is going to play more than people think.  Doc loves the vets and, despite Moore's shortcomings, he does provide a much more consistent outside shot than Baby and more height to bother opposing centers.  I'm not saying playing Moore a lot is a great idea, but I don't think the Celtics would have brought him here if they were content with the Powe/Baby frontline.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Perkins / BBD, Powe, Moore ( depending on match ups
KG / Powe / BBD
Pierce / TA / Scal ( provided Scal is healthy )
Ray Allen / House / TA
Rondo / Marbury / House

We will need TA to win this thing and I have no doubt he will be physically able to play and be a factor because...we do not necessarily need him to score, just defend like crazy at the two and three. He's a good enough athlete that, barring another injury he will be up to speed to be ablet to provide some defensive back up behind Pierce. Scal I'm no so sure of...if he'll be able to make it back.

And I would like to see very little of Marbury at the off guard, we need either TA or House there.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If the season ended today it'd be the starting five plus House, Marbury, Powe, and Baby.  However, because we've yet to see Marbury and Moore fully integrated and because TA is still hurt, I would say not to dismiss the possibility Moore makes the 9 man rotation and that Eddie House could be bumped from it.  Let's face it, House isn't a point guard and is too short to be a 2 guard.  If Marbury picks up his play and Tony Allen comes back at full speed, House could be the odd man out. 

Then again neither of those things could happen and he could get 20 minutes per game.

Time will tell. 

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 06:57:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The starting five will be the regulars. I think the backup big men will be Powe and Glen Davis.

That leaves the perimeter reserves, and I don't have a clue. It could be any combination of Marbury, House, Tony Allen and/or Brian Scalabrine. It's also possible that Pruitt or Walker manage to work themselves into the conversation before the end of the season.

The late acquisition of Marbury, and the injury to Allen, has stopped the team from finding it's best rotation on the perimeter. So, let the search continue.