Author Topic: Sweet Leon Powe Thread  (Read 10004 times)

Re: Sweet Leon Powe Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I don't think Leon has really been inconsistent this season.  Rather, he had one terrible slump, with the rest of the season being solid. 

He's shot over 50% in every month but January.  He's averaged about a rebound every 4 minutes for most of the season.  However, from January 19 until January 30, he shot a horrific 3-for-23 over a six game stretch.  I think that streak is staying with a lot of people in terms of their perception of Leon's season as a whole.

Maybe that's when Leon's perception as a "black hole" was solidified also!   :)
Leon does have the lowest, or one of the lowest assist rates in all of the NBA.

If my backup big man was a low post machine shooting over 50% from the floor, often drawing "and-one's" dunking the ball in guys faces I would prefer he almost never passed the ball. Just keep going strong to the rim. That is what holds leads while the starters are on the bench.

Since you love individual stats to make a point, how about this one?! Leon is 8th in Rebounds per 48 minutes of all Power Forwards in the league including starters. (That is ahead of Ben Wallace) He is 21st overall at any position. That in itself is worthy of getting lofty minutes.

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I don't think Leon has really been inconsistent this season.  Rather, he had one terrible slump, with the rest of the season being solid. 

He's shot over 50% in every month but January.  He's averaged about a rebound every 4 minutes for most of the season.  However, from January 19 until January 30, he shot a horrific 3-for-23 over a six game stretch.  I think that streak is staying with a lot of people in terms of their perception of Leon's season as a whole.

Sorry, I'm one of the biggest Leon fans out here, but I did refer to Leon as a "black hole" once today.
 Actually, his work space is within 7 or 8 feet of the basket, so of course he's a black hole- just means that when he gets the ball down low, he's going up with it. That's his job. Doesn't equate to being a selfish ballhog.  Kevin McHale was called a black hole too.

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 02:06:37 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27

Sorry, I'm one of the biggest Leon fans out here, but I did refer to Leon as a "black hole" once today.
 Actually, his work space is within 7 or 8 feet of the basket, so of course he's a black hole- just means that when he gets the ball down low, he's going up with it. That's his job. Doesn't equate to being a selfish ballhog.  Kevin McHale was called a black hole too.

Ken,

I'm glad you clarified that for all those on the board who see Leon being a black hole as a negative.  :) 

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 02:16:27 PM »

Offline powefan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Powe Pimpin' (Haven't heard that one in a while).  About Leon being a black hole-- I love Leon and this was a deserved criticism of his game-- even when doubled-teamed, Leon would still try to get off his shot.  I think Clifford Ray must be working with him on this one because last night, each time Leon was doubled, he passed out and when he had single coverage, he took the ball to the rim (like when he abused Joe Smith).  He was also great on the boards, always putting a body on a man and he snatched some great defensive rebounds because he established good position against bigger bodies like Z. 

Both Leon and BDD have been playing well recently, and the C's can use both down the stretch and in the playoffs.

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 02:29:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Very true, but its all situational. I think overall it is best to move the ball to the open man if its there. It is the primary flaw in his offensive game, but not one that prevents him from being very effective.

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Here are some facts:

October : 63% fg % averaging 13 pts and 4 boards (yes it was only 2 games)

November : 53% fg% 6.7 pts and 4.1 boards in 17 min. 5 games in double digits, 8 above his average that month.

December : 52.4% fg% and 6.3 pts and 3.6 boards in only 13.5 min. 4 double digit games and 8 above months average.

Jan: 38.3 % fg % and 4.9 pts and 4.5 boards in 14.6 min per. The last 2 weeks of the month he was awful offensively. He only scored 12 pts in 6 total games yet continued to rebound well in very limited minutes. The first two weeks he was solid like the rest of the year.

Feb: 50.7 % fg% and 8.3 pts and 6.1 boards. in 21 minutes.

Mar so far: 82.4% fg% and 12.7 pts and 6.7 boards in 21 min.

The big problem I have with the Powe detractors is that they take 2 weeks where Powe did indeed struggle and try to insinuate he has always done that. The facts are very clear that this isn't accurate. The previous year once he started getting time mid year he put up very similar numbers. Sure he didn't put up huge numbers in the finals except for that one game. The rotations were much shorter and starters played more minutes. In 7-8 min a game, you are going to have a tough time always getting in a groove. He did come up huge though when it was needed most. Look at FACTS instead of just remembering a game or two where he struggled. If you use that logic then no one would look good, including the All-Stars.

Again, the numbers may not show it, but my eyes showed me a guy who was not playing as well as he could early in the season.  He was REALLY struggling on defense (which is why Davis ended up getting a lot more minutes than he maybe should have given his offensive struggles early in the season), and was up and down offensively. 

Now, perhaps I was expecting too much of him as the season started (I was hoping he would step up as the 6th man), but the way he has been playing the last month or so has really put his early season in sharp contrast.

And feel free to look back at posts, I have been on Powe's case throughout the season, well before his January struggles. 

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 03:17:50 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
i love leon powe as a celtic. he's got a few shortcomings, but has more pluses to his game than minuses. plus, he cares, he is a tough kid and hustles his ass off when he gets in the game.

i hope that some of you will remember games like this when you start wanting to package leon powe in a trade. he's a celtic !!
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2009, 07:46:31 PM »

Offline steved24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
The nickname that I gave him fits him well and people need to start calling him it, instead of something weak like "The Show". See my sig..

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 08:00:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
It's powe pimpin.

man i miss BASS
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2009, 11:28:10 AM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
It's powe pimpin.

man i miss BASS

What happened to Bassthumper?

Leon Powe Jersey?
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »

Offline Jordon

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I love Leon and I want to show my appreciation by getting a Powe jersey, but I can't seem to find any place that sells them!!

Does anyone know of a good place?

Also, does anyone know of a place I could get a Cal Berkeley jersey of him, or where I could make a custom one? 

I miss the big guy in our gamess lately :/