Author Topic: Sweet Leon Powe Thread  (Read 10013 times)

Sweet Leon Powe Thread
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:39:32 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
I don't start posts much, but I'm gonna take advantage of being on a 12 hour time difference and start the Leon Powe thread before anyone else (hopefully).

What a game from this guy!  I didn't see the game cause they didnt show it over here, but obviously from the box score this guy stepped up big time in KG's absence.  Maybe he will end up being a good complement to Mikki, it seems like he's a tougher defender and I know they didn't have Ben Wallace but they got some other tough bigs and it sounds like Leon handled himself more than adequately.  I say screw Joe Smith, GET THE BALL TO LEON!

Re: Sweet Leon Powe Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:52:01 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Powe had sideshow Bob AND Smiths #, and we all know Smith is practically Jesus/God/MJ/Bird/Shaq/Kobe all combined!
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:38:18 AM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161
When Powe gets lots of minutes, Powe puts up lots of numbers. It's (nearly) that simple. Last year we saw the same thing. Give Powe consistent time, and you'll get consistent results.

Also, ESPN was rolling a few clips of Celtics D on LBJ. A noticeable trend was Powe being the guy cutting him off and providing the help, hand up, feet planted and spread, giving him no room.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 03:47:25 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
they're re-showing the game and I am realizing i should have made it a Perk/BBD/powe thread to give due credit.  but [dang], the C's look good!

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 04:29:21 AM »

Offline pumpfake

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
leon dominated anyone who got near him. and so didn't bbd and perk for the most part. i don't remember big z looking that awkward on 1 on 1 d. of course wallace would have made a huge difference for them but so wouldn't kg for us. it would be incredible if we could get this kind of output when we go back to cleveland... really get lebron biting his nails.

hopefully they'll used them same ineffective defensive strategy of immediately doubling pierce. it didn't make a lot of sense to me since lebron had success individually guarding pierce in our last game. they must have figured that since garnet is out rondo can't shoot and allen isn't great at getting his own shot, that they could just beat us by taking out pierce, not gonna work against ubuntu.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 06:14:55 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Great to see Leon get the time and play well. How can you not love the guy. About four or five times a game I wonder "how the heck did he get that rebound?".
And sure, he's kind of a black hole on offense, but he's a scoring machine from close to the basket, especially if he gets any calls(see other thread for that issue).
I really hope the C's win #18 and keep both Leon and Big Baby. Don't know why they wouldn't- the money is going to someone, and these two have both proven that they can play well under pressure.   

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 06:41:51 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The place Leon looked really good tonight was defense.  I can't remember when the last time he looked that good was.  He was crisp, he was tough, and of course, he had that one sweet block.

When Leon is on, he definitely adds a dimension to our team that isn't there otherwise.  It's impressive to watch.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 07:24:04 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I wonder if BBD's F2 was downgraded to F1, would we win the game? Powe got extended minutes with BBD out, and he was clearly a huge reason for the win. And that's accounting for BBD playing real well

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 07:32:18 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I wonder if BBD's F2 was downgraded to F1, would we win the game? Powe got extended minutes with BBD out, and he was clearly a huge reason for the win. And that's accounting for BBD playing real well

If BBD continued to play the way he was playing, with Powe coming off the bench the way he was playing also, I don' see how the Celtics lose.  They probably would have won by more. 8)
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 07:42:27 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Looks like Hollinger agrees:
Even when Boston's physical play went too far -- like when Davis was ejected for a flagrant foul on Anderson Varejao early in the third quarter -- it worked out OK. Davis' ouster proved to be a blessing in disguise, as Powe came in and raised Boston's interior domination to another level. Truth be told, Powe has been the more effective player all season, and it's been something of a mystery that Davis, not Powe, has been the one to see more court time in Garnett's absence.

Free Leon! :)

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 08:30:43 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
The thing I love about Leon, and the reason I have always maintained he was the better player, is that he comes up big in big games when needed. His huge heart gives him the will to step up in situations like that when we need him most. His aggressive play on the boards and low blocks is amazing to watch and an under-appreciated skill. I don't care if the guy ever develops a jumper, although from the sound of it he is hitting it more and more in practice. Those who say he has little upside potential just give the guy more reason to overcome adversity. Leon is the man.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 10:39:53 AM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
The thing I love about Leon, and the reason I have always maintained he was the better player, is that he comes up big in big games when needed. His huge heart gives him the will to step up in situations like that when we need him most. His aggressive play on the boards and low blocks is amazing to watch and an under-appreciated skill. I don't care if the guy ever develops a jumper, although from the sound of it he is hitting it more and more in practice. Those who say he has little upside potential just give the guy more reason to overcome adversity. Leon is the man.

EJ,

My sentiments exactly. Powe's play is strictly blue collar, nothing pretty about what he does on the court. Powe's existence in the NBA is due to the fact that he's just hungrier than many of those who are taller, faster and more talented than he.

Some day Powe will garner the respect and trust of his coaches.  I don't think it's going to be with the Celtics though. If it comes down to a choice between Davis and Powe, I'm pretty sure it will be Davis. Davis is playing well and he can extend defenses with his jumper and as a result, he's getting the bulk of playing time. 

That said, I will still defend Powe, especially when people call him a black hole or say he doesn't play defense. Powe gets under 5 shots per game and makes nearly half of those shots he does take.  How is that being a black hole?  Since Powe's forte is playing close to the bucket, he's going to try and take his man, if he's in single coverage. This is what the coaches want him to do. 

People do tend to under appreciate Powe's game. But you have to remember, he puts up the numbers he does playing 8 minutes per half. Can Powe keep up these numbers with extended playing time?  I think so....and I still think he has the capability of being 15/8 man in the NBA, in the right situation.   

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This isn't true. He's had some terrible games in big spots. He plays hard, but he's just not consistent. Especially when he has to play extended minutes against other teams starters. He didn't play very well in game 5 of the finals last year, and often has had some invisible games when he should be having a great impact.

Some games he bangs and produces. Other games he gets 3 fouls in 6 minutes trying to draw charges or fighting for rebounds.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
This isn't true. He's had some terrible games in big spots. He plays hard, but he's just not consistent. Especially when he has to play extended minutes against other teams starters. He didn't play very well in game 5 of the finals last year, and often has had some invisible games when he should be having a great impact.

Some games he bangs and produces. Other games he gets 3 fouls in 6 minutes trying to draw charges or fighting for rebounds.

I see powe as one of the most consistant players on the team.  Lots of bigs get in foul trouble once in a while, even KG.  IMO Leon brings it every second he's on the court, and he deserves more time.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27

I see powe as one of the most consistant players on the team.  Lots of bigs get in foul trouble once in a while, even KG.  IMO Leon brings it every second he's on the court, and he deserves more time.

That's a TP! :)