Author Topic: NHL responds to questions about Refs with decisive action...  (Read 9627 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think the NHL has been making some smart moves lately, likely knowing that they are at a crossroads in their sport, and potentially have the ability to steal a lot of fans (or steal them back) if the NBA and/or NFL lose part or all of next season.  They are starting the process of moving on from the failed expansion to non-hockey cities.  They are realizing that their best chance to recapture a market in the US is on the East coast, in cities like Boston, NY and Philly, and they are not alienating them by keeping the start time of all finals games to 8pm, instead of 9pm, since the West coast isn't as likely to watch them as much anyways.

But to me, the best move they have made was by responding to public questions about a conflict of interest in the league office, by having Colin Campbell, whose son plays for the Bruins step down from his position of league disciplinarian, and essentially the boss of all of the refs.

Whether it is true or not, there was a perception (conspiracy theory?) building that Campbell's position could influence the refs to favor the B's.  I don't think anyone thought it was a directive, but there is a legitimate concern that on a 50/50 call, the refs may, perhaps unconsciously, favor the team with their boss' son on it, since that could concievably favor their careers going forward.

So, as soon as this hit the airwaves, the NHL didn't take the NBA's approach of ignoring the situation, sweeping it under the rug, and hoping the game would speak for itself.  They know that they have a lot of fans on the edge right now, and even the slightest question of inpropriety could sway them away from this league.  So, they are pro-active.  They have Campbell step down before the series starts.  This eliminates the chances of questions coming up, if the B's get a favorable call or two that influence a game. 

Sure, it might hurt their pride a bit, because they know they are clean, and that the accusations are most likely baseless.  But they are not in a position to be proud.  They are trying to grow their league, and by actually addressing these questions in such a swift way, they made it 100% clear that they care what the fans think, and they care about not only maintaining the integrity of the game...but also maintaining the perception of integrity.

I think David Stern could take a few lessons here.

Re: NHL responds to questions about Refs with decisive action...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
excellent analysis, 100% agree. TP.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:34:46 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
NHL's next step should be to relocate Phoenix and bring back these guys....Cue Brass Bonanza!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:46:51 AM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
That's a great move by the NHL.  While i don't think they're a threat to surpass any of the other leagues, including the NBA.  Seems like things are going right for them lately.  Stern could definitley learn a lesson here.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I think the NHL has been making some smart moves lately, likely knowing that they are at a crossroads in their sport, and potentially have the ability to steal a lot of fans (or steal them back) if the NBA and/or NFL lose part or all of next season.  They are starting the process of moving on from the failed expansion to non-hockey cities.  They are realizing that their best chance to recapture a market in the US is on the East coast, in cities like Boston, NY and Philly, and they are not alienating them by keeping the start time of all finals games to 8pm, instead of 9pm, since the West coast isn't as likely to watch them as much anyways.

But to me, the best move they have made was by responding to public questions about a conflict of interest in the league office, by having Colin Campbell, whose son plays for the Bruins step down from his position of league disciplinarian, and essentially the boss of all of the refs.

Whether it is true or not, there was a perception (conspiracy theory?) building that Campbell's position could influence the refs to favor the B's.  I don't think anyone thought it was a directive, but there is a legitimate concern that on a 50/50 call, the refs may, perhaps unconsciously, favor the team with their boss' son on it, since that could concievably favor their careers going forward.

So, as soon as this hit the airwaves, the NHL didn't take the NBA's approach of ignoring the situation, sweeping it under the rug, and hoping the game would speak for itself.  They know that they have a lot of fans on the edge right now, and even the slightest question of inpropriety could sway them away from this league.  So, they are pro-active.  They have Campbell step down before the series starts.  This eliminates the chances of questions coming up, if the B's get a favorable call or two that influence a game. 

Sure, it might hurt their pride a bit, because they know they are clean, and that the accusations are most likely baseless.  But they are not in a position to be proud.  They are trying to grow their league, and by actually addressing these questions in such a swift way, they made it 100% clear that they care what the fans think, and they care about not only maintaining the integrity of the game...but also maintaining the perception of integrity.

I think David Stern could take a few lessons here.

I agree. The NBA should be doing everything to ensure and demonstrate that there is no tampering going on.

unfortunately, I still think Stern thinks he knows best how to engineer things and needs to have too much control.

the result is that the games don't feel like they are on the up and up....that play that Dirk got hurt on was a perfect example of a key call that just doesn't sit right...maybe it was just a bad call, but with the league's track record (in contrast to the moves the NHL is making) how are we to know?

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I missed a step. Who in the NBA league office has a conflict of interests?

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

No one does.  But there are questions of whether things are on the up and up, and instead of addressing them, they act like the question is below them, and all that does is make conspiracy theories spread. 

It is not an identical situation, I agree.  However, the desire to appease the fans, does not seem to be there by the NBA.

MLB is another good example.  When the steroid thing got big, instead of just saying "we got it, don't you worry", they dealt with it publically, and it went a long way to appease the fans.  By putting together that "investigation" (which was really just a dog and pony show), and making it public, they were able to earn back the trust of the majority of the fans, who just wanted to feel like something was being done. 

All the NBA really needs to do is publically show that they are doing something to address the officiating, and it will put out the fire that is still building.  But, the longer they choose to refuse to make anything public about their efforts, it will just get worse.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:11 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

No one does.  But there are questions of whether things are on the up and up, and instead of addressing them, they act like the question is below them, and all that does is make conspiracy theories spread. 

It is not an identical situation, I agree.  However, the desire to appease the fans, does not seem to be there by the NBA.

MLB is another good example.  When the steroid thing got big, instead of just saying "we got it, don't you worry", they dealt with it publically, and it went a long way to appease the fans.  By putting together that "investigation" (which was really just a dog and pony show), and making it public, they were able to earn back the trust of the majority of the fans, who just wanted to feel like something was being done. 

All the NBA really needs to do is publically show that they are doing something to address the officiating, and it will put out the fire that is still building.  But, the longer they choose to refuse to make anything public about their efforts, it will just get worse.

part of the problem is that Stern doesn't think things are getting worse. if the officiating is in fact shady and not just bad then Stern has some degree of control over outcomes....

it's really too bad. maybe this Dirk injury will come back to bite him.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 12:01:58 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Chris is right that the NBA, too often, just tries to ignore problems/stigmas and sweep things under the rug.

The NHL has done a much better job of late with dealing with things in public.

Certainly helps your league perception when you do it that way.

The NHL was nearly dead in the water as recent as 5-6 years ago and has made huge strides in the time since.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Chris is right that the NBA, too often, just tries to ignore problems/stigmas and sweep things under the rug.

The NHL was nearly dead in the water as recent as 5-6 years ago and has made huge strides in the time since.

and they got themselves what could be a very entertaining Finals...

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:21:20 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

and they got themselves what could be a very entertaining Finals...

It certainly helps that they've had Original Six teams in the past 4 Finals including this year.  Plus, two rapid & loyal hockey fanbases in Vancouver & Philly this year & last. 

I think the past Winter Olympics also helped.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 12:42:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

part of the problem is that Stern doesn't think things are getting worse.

I disagree with this.  I think Stern knows exactly what is going on.  I also think he is working to fix it, but because of the unions, etc., it is not easy to do.

The problem IMO is that Stern seems to come from a school of thought (that many businessmen share) that the best way to deal with problems is to keep them in house, and especially when things are going good (which they are for the NBA), if you publically acknowledge problems, it legitimizes them.  And, if they legitimize those problems, it goes from fringe conspiracy theorists, to the mainstream. 

And, in theory, I actually think that is not bad business.  The problem is, I think that these conspiracy theories are closer to that tipping point than Stern believes, and that they are close to becoming part of the mainstream perception on their own. 

Now, if they are able to catch this before it really breaks, I think they will have a much better chance of putting out the fire.  If they are pro-active about it while it is still just on the fringes, they can kill it without really damaging the brand.  However, if they continue to keep it in house, and turn a blind eye, at some point, it is going to boil over, just like steroids did in baseball, and that is going to be a mess that will be much harder to clean up.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:48:56 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

part of the problem is that Stern doesn't think things are getting worse.

I disagree with this.  I think Stern knows exactly what is going on.  I also think he is working to fix it, but because of the unions, etc., it is not easy to do.

The problem IMO is that Stern seems to come from a school of thought (that many businessmen share) that the best way to deal with problems is to keep them in house, and especially when things are going good (which they are for the NBA), if you publically acknowledge problems, it legitimizes them.  And, if they legitimize those problems, it goes from fringe conspiracy theorists, to the mainstream. 

And, in theory, I actually think that is not bad business.  The problem is, I think that these conspiracy theories are closer to that tipping point than Stern believes, and that they are close to becoming part of the mainstream perception on their own. 

Now, if they are able to catch this before it really breaks, I think they will have a much better chance of putting out the fire.  If they are pro-active about it while it is still just on the fringes, they can kill it without really damaging the brand.  However, if they continue to keep it in house, and turn a blind eye, at some point, it is going to boil over, just like steroids did in baseball, and that is going to be a mess that will be much harder to clean up.

that would be the better of the two explanations, though...

he's either complicit or he's doing it in-house...

I haven't really seen any evidence that he's taking care of this in house. I mean, Foster is officiating the Finals, no?

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 01:10:05 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I think David Stern could take a few lessons here.[/i

Stern will take the lessons when fans tune out the manipulated product he keeps putting out there.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 01:34:55 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I wonder how Mr. Campbell feels about this, did they give him a different job?  I hope he didn't get screwed over entirely.