Author Topic: Ilya Kovalchuk  (Read 9623 times)

Re: Ilya Kovalchuk
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
His contract was eventually approved.

If it’s approved it’s because him and Savard threatened to file a lawsuit. Their contracts will be “grandfather’d” in. From this point on they wouldn’t work.

Actually, the contract was renegotiated.  It's now a 15 (rather than 17) year deal, with higher annual cap hits and a higher salary later.  Also, the NHL and NHLPA negotiated new language to deal with long-term contracts in the future.

Yeah, and I don't think Kovalchuk ever had a chance at a lawsuit, since his deal was never approved by the league in the first place.  Savard was the one threatening a lawsuit, because his deal was approved by the league a long time ago, and by waiting so long to nullify it, the league would have likely cost him a ton of money, since at this point in the offseason, no teams have the cap space to sign him for anything close to that deal.

Re: Ilya Kovalchuk
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 11:07:14 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
His contract was eventually approved.

If it’s approved it’s because him and Savard threatened to file a lawsuit. Their contracts will be “grandfather’d” in. From this point on they wouldn’t work.

Actually, the contract was renegotiated.  It's now a 15 (rather than 17) year deal, with higher annual cap hits and a higher salary later.  Also, the NHL and NHLPA negotiated new language to deal with long-term contracts in the future.

Yeah, and I don't think Kovalchuk ever had a chance at a lawsuit, since his deal was never approved by the league in the first place.  Savard was the one threatening a lawsuit, because his deal was approved by the league a long time ago, and by waiting so long to nullify it, the league would have likely cost him a ton of money, since at this point in the offseason, no teams have the cap space to sign him for anything close to that deal.

Yep.  I think Savard would have had a rock-solid case, which is why the new language agreed to only applies to contracts yet to be signed and approved.  It was pretty lame of the NHL to threaten to void the contracts in the first place.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes