Author Topic: ESPN: Marbury, Celtics interested in deal  (Read 56524 times)

Re: ESPN: Marbury, Celtics interested in deal
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 08:04:38 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Bring in Steph!

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 08:25:10 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
It would be hugely disappointing if the C's brought in this guy. 

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 08:25:23 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Why does everyone think this is a great idea? If his performance over the past few seasons is any indicator how his game would complement the Celtics, why even bother?

Theoretically, we could move House to the 2 where he's better suited (not necessarily defensively though, as he's certain to continue getting burned even as a 2) while Marbury handles the ball... but that whole theory lies under the assumption that Marbury would defer to the team game.

Forgive me for having doubts specifically about Marbury's willingness to "buy" in. Another thing - his game has always been more suited to play the Rucker Park type ball. If you are ready for lots of crossover dribbles and forced up shots that appear drawn out of an and-1 tourney than an NBA playbook, be my guest, have your Marbury. I think if Marbury becomes a key part of the rotation, it'll be a disaster warning. We won't perform any better than we did during this road trip. He'll stagnate the second unit even more than it's already been doing on its own.

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 08:27:28 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Which way do you want it,one minute some of us are preaching character issues about players around the league,and the next minute we are overlooking it.Are the Celtics that desparate to take a chance on a guy who hasn't played much in the last couple seasons,that can potentially become a locker room disruption.One other thing KG is a player on this team not the team's counselor.Im sure he is the person who speaks up/out if there's problems that potentially will hurt the team but to expect a player to oversee another player's behavior doesn't seem like the right way to go.  

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Which way do you want it,one minute some of us are preaching character issues about players around the league,and the next minute we are overlooking it.Are the Celtics that desparate to take a chance on a guy who hasn't played much in the last couple seasons,that can potentially become a locker room disruption.One other thing KG is a player on this team not the team's counselor.Im sure he is the person who speaks up/out if there's problems that potentially will hurt the team but to expect a player to oversee another player's behavior doesn't seem like the right way to go.  

Yes, imo, the Celtics are desperate.  Have you not seen the performance of this awful bench?  No way in heck the Celtics repeat with this roster.  Bring on Starbury!
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Why does everyone think this is a great idea? If his performance over the past few seasons is any indicator how his game would complement the Celtics, why even bother?

Theoretically, we could move House to the 2 where he's better suited (not necessarily defensively though, as he's certain to continue getting burned even as a 2) while Marbury handles the ball... but that whole theory lies under the assumption that Marbury would defer to the team game.

Forgive me for having doubts specifically about Marbury's willingness to "buy" in. Another thing - his game has always been more suited to play the Rucker Park type ball. If you are ready for lots of crossover dribbles and forced up shots that appear drawn out of an and-1 tourney than an NBA playbook, be my guest, have your Marbury. I think if Marbury becomes a key part of the rotation, it'll be a disaster warning. We won't perform any better than we did during this road trip. He'll stagnate the second unit even more than it's already been doing on its own.

so your saying he's TA except with a better handle?

all TA does is crossover (badly) and drive, at least starbury is comptent at the move.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Pretty simple: If he doesn't buy in, cut him.

But I will say this: Comparing Steph to TA was a good one. Nothing like a laugh on the first work day of the new year.

;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2009, 08:36:53 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No to Marbury.

When is the last time he has had a positive effect on a team?  (besides when he leaves the team)

When is the last time he happily took a back seat to someone on a team?

Celtics need role players off the bench, not a me first stat hanger.

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2009, 08:53:19 AM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
While I agree that Marbury will have to change his ways for this to work, i don't think that he is
a me first stat hanger.
A couple of years ago he was dishing out 6 assists and shooting 45%.  He has so much game that he can be two different players.  He can be a ball hog, or he can dish the rock. 

If this goes through, then he will make House look awesome.  Eddie will be at his natural 2.

Marbury
Eddie
TA
Powe
Big Baby

Geez we need a big.  We need a big in a big way.

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
While I agree that Marbury will have to change his ways for this to work, i don't think that he is
a me first stat hanger.
A couple of years ago he was dishing out 6 assists and shooting 45%.  He has so much game that he can be two different players.  He can be a ball hog, or he can dish the rock. 

If this goes through, then he will make House look awesome.  Eddie will be at his natural 2.

Marbury
Eddie
TA
Powe
Big Baby

And how did his TEAM do when he was putting up those stats?

He (like AI and Francis) gets assists because the ball is in his hand so often. 

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2009, 08:59:30 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
The only reason this might work is that Marbury has a lot of respect for KG.  If the Knicks buy out Marbury, I could see him in green.  Not saying I want to, but I could see it.  I could also see it working, if KG keeps Marbury in line and if Marbury, desperate to prove all the haters wrong, gets it into his head that it isnt a bad thing to come off the bench as a 6th (or 7th) man.  Oh, and that he learns a thing or two about D.

Marbury has no respect for KG from what I Know...they were friends when they were like teens and early 20's, it ended ugly and they've never been close since...its gonna be up to Marbury to want to prove his critics wrong
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I would feel much more comfortable with the bench line up as shown below.

Marbury
Tony Allen
Pierce/ Ray Allen
Powe
Smith? Mourning? Baby?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:07:06 AM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2009, 09:07:52 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
a me first stat hanger.

Marbury
Eddie
TA
Powe
Big Baby

He wasn't playing on a team this good though, with 3 hall of famers.  I don't think there is a chance in hell Marbury could mess things up.  If he tries, he's gone, plain and simple.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2009, 09:10:50 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
a me first stat hanger.

Marbury
Eddie
TA
Powe
Big Baby

He wasn't playing on a team this good though, with 3 hall of famers.  I don't think there is a chance in hell Marbury could mess things up.  If he tries, he's gone, plain and simple.

True he has never been on a team this good. 

But he has never brought a team up except by leaving.  Nets, Suns, Knicks; all improved once he was removed. 

He has a ton of talent.  Could have been the best PG of his era.  But how he plays the game doesn't lead to wins in the NBA.

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2009, 09:32:10 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
a me first stat hanger.

Marbury
Eddie
TA
Powe
Big Baby

True he has never been on a team this good. 

But he has never brought a team up except by leaving.  Nets, Suns, Knicks; all improved once he was removed. 

He has a ton of talent.  Could have been the best PG of his era.  But how he plays the game doesn't lead to wins in the NBA.

Well it sounds like he's coming whether we like or not, so might as well get on board and hope it works out.  At least that's my thinking.