Author Topic: ESPN: Marbury, Celtics interested in deal  (Read 56407 times)

Re: ESPN: Marbury, Celtics interested in deal
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
While I agree that Marbury will have to change his ways for this to work, i don't think that he is
a me first stat hanger.
A couple of years ago he was dishing out 6 assists and shooting 45%.  He has so much game that he can be two different players.  He can be a ball hog, or he can dish the rock. 

If this goes through, then he will make House look awesome.  Eddie will be at his natural 2.

Marbury
Eddie
TA
Powe
Big Baby

Geez we need a big.  We need a big in a big way.

And how did his TEAM do when he was putting up those stats?

He (like AI and Francis) gets assists because the ball is in his hand so often. 

He wasn't playing on a team this good though, with 3 hall of famers.  I don't think there is a chance in hell Marbury could mess things up.  If he tries, he's gone, plain and simple.

True he has never been on a team this good. 

But he has never brought a team up except by leaving.  Nets, Suns, Knicks; all improved once he was removed. 

He has a ton of talent.  Could have been the best PG of his era.  But how he plays the game doesn't lead to wins in the NBA.

Well it sounds like he's coming whether we like or not, so might as well get on board and hope it works out.  At least that's my thinking.

My thinking is until he might be here, my opinion is they shouldn't bring him in.

If he does end up here, my plan is to hope it works out.

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2009, 09:49:49 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Why does everyone think this is a great idea? If his performance over the past few seasons is any indicator how his game would complement the Celtics, why even bother?

Theoretically, we could move House to the 2 where he's better suited (not necessarily defensively though, as he's certain to continue getting burned even as a 2) while Marbury handles the ball... but that whole theory lies under the assumption that Marbury would defer to the team game.

Forgive me for having doubts specifically about Marbury's willingness to "buy" in. Another thing - his game has always been more suited to play the Rucker Park type ball. If you are ready for lots of crossover dribbles and forced up shots that appear drawn out of an and-1 tourney than an NBA playbook, be my guest, have your Marbury. I think if Marbury becomes a key part of the rotation, it'll be a disaster warning. We won't perform any better than we did during this road trip. He'll stagnate the second unit even more than it's already been doing on its own.

so your saying he's TA except with a better handle?

all TA does is crossover (badly) and drive, at least starbury is comptent at the move.
I'm saying he's TA with a better handle and better jumper minus the defense (hence, hardly anything like TA)... but that he would be a bad fit because he still doesn't fill a need. We need length and an effective team oriented PG who will defend, handle the ball, be able to hit a shot or two when called upon, and stay healthy. If we had a backup PG like Steve Blake to back up Rondo, I'd be beyond thrilled. But that's not going to happen. I'd settle for Earl Watson if he's available.

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2009, 09:54:40 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Why does everyone think this is a great idea? If his performance over the past few seasons is any indicator how his game would complement the Celtics, why even bother?

Theoretically, we could move House to the 2 where he's better suited (not necessarily defensively though, as he's certain to continue getting burned even as a 2) while Marbury handles the ball... but that whole theory lies under the assumption that Marbury would defer to the team game.

Forgive me for having doubts specifically about Marbury's willingness to "buy" in. Another thing - his game has always been more suited to play the Rucker Park type ball. If you are ready for lots of crossover dribbles and forced up shots that appear drawn out of an and-1 tourney than an NBA playbook, be my guest, have your Marbury. I think if Marbury becomes a key part of the rotation, it'll be a disaster warning. We won't perform any better than we did during this road trip. He'll stagnate the second unit even more than it's already been doing on its own.

so your saying he's TA except with a better handle?

all TA does is crossover (badly) and drive, at least starbury is comptent at the move.
I'm saying he's TA with a better handle and better jumper minus the defense (hence, hardly anything like TA)... but that he would be a bad fit because he still doesn't fill a need. We need length and an effective team oriented PG who will defend, handle the ball, be able to hit a shot or two when called upon, and stay healthy. If we had a backup PG like Steve Blake to back up Rondo, I'd be beyond thrilled. But that's not going to happen. I'd settle for Earl Watson if he's available.

coutn me among the crowd that thinks TA's defense is vastly overrated.

Yes, he's a great athlete, and he gets steals. but for every steal, he commits a stupid foul (he fouls more jumpshooters than any defensive specilist ive ever seen) or gambles and misses.

I'm not saying im in favor of the move, but im not vehmently against vasty upgrading our bench scoring either.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2009, 09:57:04 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
leaving aside the trouble-making aspect of Marbury's career, i don't see what he brings to the table that we don't already have in Cassell.

sure he's more athletic, but they are both scoring points, and i have much more confidence in Sam making shots than i do Marbury....

Marbury needs a lot of shots and touches to get himself going....more shots and touches than a bench player should be getting on this team.

i guess i am with WL. against the deal until it happens and then hope for the best...

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 09:58:59 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I understand the thinking, because the bench definitely needs both a scorer and a distributor, and talent-wise, he's an upgrade over what we have.  I'd be very, very cautious before bringing in a proven cancer like Starbury, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I understand the thinking, because the bench definitely needs both a scorer and a distributor, and talent-wise, he's an upgrade over what we have.  I'd be very, very cautious before bringing in a proven cancer like Starbury, though.

how much of an upgrade over Cassell is he really, though...?

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2009, 10:06:14 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

how much of an upgrade over Cassell is he really, though...?

None of us have any idea.  My thought is, with Doc's recent comments that he likes Sam on the bench, and Sam not getting any play at all (including in practice, to my understanding) that the team has given up on the thought of him making a contribution.

I don't think this gamble will pay off, but I guess I understand the motivation.  The time to upgrade the bench, though, was in the off-season, not by picking up the dregs of the NBA off the waiver wire.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I really hate Marbury, but he's a talent we can use. Although I'd hate for him to form part of this team, I think it would be a great move for the Celtics once all things are considered. I think the whole troublemaking bit is overworrying a bit in my opinion (even though it is a legit concern). We have too many determined people in the team, bigger stars than he is. He's not the face of the franchise, so wether he is disgruntled or not won't affect the team much.

But he really is a talent, and having someone like him on the bench can really cause some damage. I liked what I saw from him during the preseason, and before the troubles started this season I really saw some determination from his part to really try make things work. But it all went to hell. He looked in good shape, was playing well, etc.

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I really hate Marbury, but he's a talent we can use. Although I'd hate for him to form part of this team, I think it would be a great move for the Celtics once all things are considered. I think the whole troublemaking bit is overworrying a bit in my opinion (even though it is a legit concern). We have too many determined people in the team, bigger stars than he is. He's not the face of the franchise, so wether he is disgruntled or not won't affect the team much.

But he really is a talent, and having someone like him on the bench can really cause some damage. I liked what I saw from him during the preseason, and before the troubles started this season I really saw some determination from his part to really try make things work. But it all went to hell. He looked in good shape, was playing well, etc.

But does Marbury think they are bigger stars?

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2009, 10:20:47 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
this will test the boston lockerroom but i think it is strong enough. Marbury def. would provide some scoring punch off the bench and allow eddie house to play the 2...still need to address the size issue...

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2009, 10:21:45 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The time to upgrade the bench, though, was in the off-season, not by picking up the dregs of the NBA off the waiver wire.

Affirmative.

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
The time to upgrade the bench, though, was in the off-season, not by picking up the dregs of the NBA off the waiver wire.

Affirmative.
::)

Yea, the acquisitions of PJ Brown and Sam Cassell were so harmful to the team last year.

This is a no brainer. A low risk, high reward thing. We seem to say this a lot with Danny. You see any remote signs that he might be messing with chemistry and the guy gets cut. If not, then you have one of the best backup point guards in the entire NBA. I am struggling trying to think of a better backup point.

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2009, 10:29:15 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I feel much the same, TP.

Also steph has incentive to behave for the 4 months he's here and be a good bench player.

Namely, that the market for 31 year old PG's who didn't play last year or worse, got signed to championship contending team and got cut, is alot worse than the market for a good soldier who played hsi minutes and contributed to a championship.

Marbury knows how to chase green, you've got to give him that, i think his ego would be in check only in deferance to his wallet.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136

Affirmative.

That's in an ideal world. However, our financial situation prevented us from being active in that front. Therefore the Miles attempt and now the Marbury, Mutombo, PJ and Horry talks. We had very little to offer in the trading front, and not much money to offer to FA's. Danny's waiting has been the only option. I trust Danny.

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2009, 10:31:12 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136

Affirmative.

That's in an ideal world. However, our financial situation prevented us from being active in that front. Therefore the Miles attempt and now the Marbury, Mutombo, PJ and Horry talks. We had very little to offer in trades, and not much money to offer to FA's. Danny's waiting has been the only option. I trust Danny.