Poll

The Better Fruit

Apple
Orange

Author Topic: Apples & Oranges  (Read 36027 times)

Re: Apples & Oranges
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 06:03:48 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Wow, this could be ugly  :)

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2008, 06:38:07 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Wow, this could be ugly  :)

You are right, this is going to be ugly, I now pick DURIAN, now that's a bada$$. Now who can beat that ;)
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2008, 07:15:48 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Fruit mock draft anyone?

I call first pick

With the 1st pick in the 2008 Celticsblog Fruit Draft, BigAltheFuture selects The Black Plum

You probably could have traded down for that one!

I love a lot of different fruits for different reasons, but if I had to choose one I'd least like to live without it would have to be a banana.

I'm going with pineapple.  You need that big guy to anchor your team in the low post.

[dang]...I should've traded up to #2 for bananas....I would take back the TP i just gave you Redz....if only I can >:(

With the #4 overall pick, the Downunder Ballas, select Peaches

I'm going with a giant Watermelon. What's your Pineapple got now Roy, huh?

Watermelons are the Thomas Hamilton of fruits.  Good luck with that pick.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2008, 08:08:53 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Fruit mock draft anyone?

I call first pick

With the 1st pick in the 2008 Celticsblog Fruit Draft, BigAltheFuture selects The Black Plum

I love a lot of different fruits for different reasons, but if I had to choose one I'd least like to live without it would have to be a banana.

I'm going with pineapple.  You need that big guy to anchor your team in the low post.

[dang]...I should've traded up to #2 for bananas....I would take back the TP i just gave you Redz....if only I can >:(

I probably should have gone for the coconut in all fairness.

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Fruit mock draft anyone?

I call first pick

Go for it KW, I guess I never officially "drafted" the banana if you read carefully ;).  Good luck with the banana, they can really score in bunches

I guess I went to bed too early...Hmmmm...I guess I'd go with the grape at this point to run the offense.  White and seedless if we're getting specific (no distractions without the seeds)
Yup

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Fruit mock draft anyone?

I call first pick

I probably should have gone for the coconut in all fairness.

Coconut would definitely have it on the watermelon in the toughness category. 

The pineapple has all those prickly things that no one would really want too near.  Excellent choice Roy.

4 pages of fruit talk.... ;D
Yup

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm still going with grapes. Your big guys can squash them all you want. Then all I have to do is ferment them and then who's the big winner now?

Back to the orange and apple. I have to go with orange. It's a better tasting fruit, it's a better tasting drink, it's a better flavor Popsicle, sherbet, hard candy, soda, and yogurt. And it's juice tastes so good with a bottle of Bacardi Anejo rum or a bottle of Grey Goose vodka.

All apples have going for it are apple pie and hard apple cider.

Heck, when picking oranges you are usually in Florida or California. To pick apples you usually have to be in a colder state with worse weather.

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2008, 09:40:11 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • KG is da Man
Fruit mock draft anyone?

I call first pick

Go for it KW, I guess I never officially "drafted" the banana if you read carefully ;).  Good luck with the banana, they can really score in bunches

I guess I went to bed too early...Hmmmm...I guess I'd go with the grape at this point to run the offense.  White and seedless if we're getting specific (no distractions without the seeds)

Bananas and Durian? I'm going to win this for sure. Durian's referred to as the King of fruit, and a definite bruiser, and with the length of banana, this comp is mine hehe.

I'm suprised noone's mentioned mango yet, they got a big 'heart'  ;)
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2008, 09:43:43 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Apple seeds contain cyanide! (Fact)

An apple got mankind tossed out of paradise! (not verifiable)

Apple manufactured my work computer and my laptop, both of which are prone to freezing and/or crashing! (Fact)

How anyone can support a fruit that sows such misery in the world is one of life's mysteries...

Oranges, I choose you! </pokemon>

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

You talk like this is a small accomplishment.  Those two things alone may very well make apples the king of fruits!

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2008, 09:51:03 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You talk like this is a small accomplishment.  Those two things alone may very well make apples the king of fruits!
Call me unAmerican but I'm not the biggest fan of apple pie and hate apple cider, hard or not. Granny Smith apples are great though.

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2008, 08:24:14 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Ever find a worm in your orange?

On the fruit draft I'm going with the darkhorse candidate... grape fruit.  Taste, not much.  But defensively it can't be beat.  It takes a spoon a knife and sometimes forceps to eat the thing, if it doesn't squirt firey acidic juice into your eye first.  All the while it's rolling around your plate like a carnival ride.

You have to a respect a fruit with such self preservation.

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Ever find a worm in your orange?

On the fruit draft I'm going with the darkhorse candidate... grape fruit.  Taste, not much.  But defensively it can't be beat.  It takes a spoon a knife and sometimes forceps to eat the thing, if it doesn't squirt firey acidic juice into your eye first.  All the while it's rolling around your plate like a carnival ride.

You have to a respect a fruit with such self preservation.
Definitely in the starting lineup on the Citrus squad...

I was actually going to bump this thread up again when I saw it had reappeared.   It would just be a crying shame to see such a fine line of discussion come to a close.
Yup

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2008, 09:04:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Couple of comments.

- if bananas are the equivalent of centers, does that make plantains the NBA equivalent of BBD.

- gotta give a player like tomato some love. They play on the fruit side but can hang with vegetables just as easily. Very versatile fruit.

- gotta love grapes and watermelons. I hear a bunch have some seeds in their games but when you find ones without seeds in their game, wow, you can get on a roll.

- would melons have to play in the WNBA version of fruit basketball?

- gotta love how plums and grapes can adapt when they get older and lose their juice. They dry up and become a whole different fruit. Now that's talent.

- in true Celtic tradition the All-Green team goes like this:

C- Watermelon
PF - Honeydew Melon
SF- Granny Smith Apples
SG - Pears
PG - White Grapes

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2008, 09:26:02 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • KG is da Man
C- Watermelon
PF - Honeydew Melon
SF- Granny Smith Apples
SG - Pears
PG - White Grapes

I disagree, Granny Smith Apples are obviously better at the 2-spot, with Pears being the 6th man, with its ability to be great at both wing spots. So I would give Avocado the headnod to starting at the 3, with its solid exterior defence. And also don't forget the Kiwi fruit- they are underrated because they don't have a sweet J, however they are extremely healthy to the team and gives great energy burst off the bench.
Anything is possible!!!