Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 222962 times)

Re: 2017-2018 LA Lakers Season Watch Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2017, 08:36:55 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I mean think of it this way, the Lakers play:

Group A.) The Warriors, Spurs, Rockets & Thunder 16 times

Group B.) The Celtics, Cavaliers & Raptors 6 times

Group C.) The Clippers, Grizzlies, Trailblazers, Nuggets, Pelicans & Timberwolves 20 times

Group D.) The Jazz & Mavericks 8 times

Group E.) The Wizards, Bucks, Heat & Hornets 8 times

Group F.) The Knicks & Pistons 4 times

Group G.) The Kings & Suns 8 Times

Group H.) The Bulls, Pacers, Nets, Magic & 76ers 10 times

I think this is a fair prediction of wins per Group for them: A.) 2, B.) 1, C.) 3, D.) 3, E.) 3, F.) 2, G.) 4, H.) 8

That's 26 wins - exactly where they finished this year.  Comfortably the 3rd worst odds.
I think 26 wins will be more like 5th or 6th worst.  I expect 3 teams finish 20 or under.   

« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Group C.) The Clippers, Grizzlies, Trailblazers, Nuggets, Pelicans & Timberwolves 20 times

I think this is a fair prediction of wins per Group for them: A.) 2, B.) 1, C.) 3, D.) 3, E.) 3, F.) 2, G.) 4, H.) 8

That's 26 wins - exactly where they finished this year.  Comfortably the 3rd worst odds.
I think 26 wins will be more like 5th or 6th worst.  I expect 3 teams finish 20 or under.

Three teams finishing under 20 wins would be unprecedented in the modern NBA, its hard to win less than 20. I don't remember the exact stat but something like 6 teams have finished fewer than 20 winds in this millennium. 

« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2017, 09:41:22 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
I fear this Melo trade might have hurt our chances at the LAL Pick conveying this summer.

Knicks were going to be bad but now they are REALLY bad with Melo gone (Kanter is no scrub, but he's not as good as Melo either).

Man I wish Ainge fought for some more favorable protections from that LAL Pick, like 2-7, not just 2-5.

Even a player from 6-10 in this upcoming draft would be spectacular (it's a DEEP draft loaded with big men). But only chance is 2-5....  :(

If I may ask where do you get your draft information? Not trying to be a troll or anything I generally don't follow the draft that much this early but from what I've heard and seen this draft IS NOT considered all that deep. I still think I'd rather have the SAC pick in 19 than the 6-10 pick this year. 19 may not have as many good big men but that SAC pick is probably more useful in a trade *ANTHONY DAVIS* than the 6-10 pick this year. I think Ainge probably fought FOR the protections he got.

« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I fear this Melo trade might have hurt our chances at the LAL Pick conveying this summer.

Knicks were going to be bad but now they are REALLY bad with Melo gone (Kanter is no scrub, but he's not as good as Melo either).

Man I wish Ainge fought for some more favorable protections from that LAL Pick, like 2-7, not just 2-5.

Even a player from 6-10 in this upcoming draft would be spectacular (it's a DEEP draft loaded with big men). But only chance is 2-5....  :(

If I may ask where do you get your draft information? Not trying to be a troll or anything I generally don't follow the draft that much this early but from what I've heard and seen this draft IS NOT considered all that deep. I still think I'd rather have the SAC pick in 19 than the 6-10 pick this year. 19 may not have as many good big men but that SAC pick is probably more useful in a trade *ANTHONY DAVIS* than the 6-10 pick this year. I think Ainge probably fought FOR the protections he got.
agree as well. 6-14 in this draft Isn't very exciting. Its well established that the next draft cuts off after 5 so danny did well on the protection side. Kings are going to be bad so that pick could be gold if this one doesn't convey.

Danny tends to win with patience. No one thought the nets picks were of ANY value when we first got them because everyone thought the nets would be contenders. Lol
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:44:58 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

agree as well. 6-14 in this draft Isn't very exciting. Its well established that the next draft cuts off after 5 so danny did well on the protection side. Kings are going to be bad so that pick could be gold if this one doesn't convey.

Danny tends to win with patience. No one thought the nets picks were of ANY value when we first got them because everyone thought the nets would be contenders. Lol
That's just not true.  Lots of people thought the unprotected Nets pick were a good haul for Pierce and KG who were obviously on the decline. 

As for the next draft, nothing is well established since the college season hasn't been played yet.  Right now I like the top 7.  Miles Bridges and Robert Williams could have been in the top 10 of this draft if they hadn't decided to return for their sophomore season.  Especially like Robert Williams for us. 

« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

That's just not true.  Lots of people thought the unprotected Nets pick were a good haul for Pierce and KG who were obviously on the decline. 

As for the next draft, nothing is well established since the college season hasn't been played yet.  Right now I like the top 7.  Miles Bridges and Robert Williams could have been in the top 10 of this draft if they hadn't decided to return for their sophomore season.  Especially like Robert Williams for us.
wrong. Dig up the thread from this very forum. A lot of people were disappointed that all we got were a bunch of picks from a team that seemed on the rise. The deandre jordan for KG trade was canceled by the nba so danny had to go to the next best offer which was this one.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2013/6/27/4472142/breaking-down-the-proposed-blockbuster-trade-kevin-garnett-paul

"please let kg kill this deal"

"Taking on Gerald Wallace and his terrible contract seems like an awful decision by Danny."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:02:16 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Three teams finishing under 20 wins would be unprecedented in the modern NBA, its hard to win less than 20. I don't remember the exact stat but something like 6 teams have finished fewer than 20 winds in this millennium.
I said 20 or under not under 20 (say 15, 18, 20).  There are some really bad teams this year and I think there will be quite a bit of tanking.  In 2014-15, the TWolves, Knicks and Sixers all finished under 20 wins.  In 2015-16, the Sixers and Lakers finished under 20 win.  In 2013-14, the Bucks and Sixers finished under 20 wins. 

Looking at where 26 wins would finish in the 5 previous seasons. 
2016-17  3rd worst
2015-16  5th worst
2014-15  6th worst
2013-14  6th worst
2012-13  5th worst

« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

wrong. Dig up the thread from this very forum. A lot of people were disappointed that all we got were a bunch of picks from a team that seemed on the rise. The deandre jordan for KG trade was canceled by the nba so danny had to go to the next best offer which was this one.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2013/6/27/4472142/breaking-down-the-proposed-blockbuster-trade-kevin-garnett-paul

"please let kg kill this deal"

"Taking on Gerald Wallace and his terrible contract seems like an awful decision by Danny."
You said: "No one thought the nets picks were of ANY value when we first got them because everyone thought the nets would be contenders." 

The blog post you referenced show plenty of positive comments about the trade to prove your statement false.  To quote a few. 

That is exactly what Danny is thinking. So one of the worst run franchises in the NBA will give me 2014, 2016, and 2018 UNPROTECTED 1st rounders ALONG with the ability to suck next year (see taking KG/Pierce) and get an elite draft Pick, and the cost is absorbing 1 bad contract. Yup. Count me in!

Maybe not sexy but that is a pretty impressive haul for what The C’s would be giving up.

Will miss Pierce sentimentally But 3 first rounders is great value.

« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2017, 02:27:10 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Lakers lost again. They officially have a losing streak

« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2017, 10:18:27 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Here's some pessimistic news:

On Bill Simmons' podcast, they did the over/unders for every team. The over/under for the Lakers was 33.5, which sounded high to me but then all 4 guys (Simmons, House, O'Connor, Concepcion) took the over for them.

Of course, I think they're all wrong. I'm taking the under.  8)
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

On Bill Simmons' podcast, they did the over/unders for every team. The over/under for the Lakers was 33.5, which sounded high to me but then all 4 guys (Simmons, House, O'Connor, Concepcion) took the over for them.

Me too.

Jeeez ... I'd be shocked if LAL got that many wins.

« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2017, 11:12:26 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Winning 8 of 10 on Group H is a stretch.

Remember, wins are a zero sum game. If you look at this list, only the Kings and Suns are really weak in the west, and neither has less talent than the Lakers. Both teams also have guys that are terrible matchups for Lonzo. His problems matching up with De'Aaron Fox are well known. Eric Bledsoe is probably an even worse matchup, and he can't hide on Devin Booker either.

Meanwhile, the weak teams in the East are numerous, and they have to play each other. Someone has to win those games.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:23:33 AM by td450 »

« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Nets new team has promise. Nets super sucked without Lopez ....he was all they had .

Wonder if Lakers will be the same way

no Lopez ...no body for Ball to toss lobs ...= No wins

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

They are a bad team, no doubt. But how bad? They added Lopez who is very good and hasn't really had injurie problems for a couple years now. KCP is a solid basketball player. Ball is a rookie, but he will probably do more to help you win than Russel did. Ingram literally can't be worse than last year when he was one of the biggest negative in basketball. There are a lot of BAD teams in basketball right now. They may not be in the eats but they still get to play every one of teams twice. I think 33.5 is too high, but 26 is too low. I'm gonna say 30 wins for the Lakers.

Me too.

33.5 in too high, but they will be much improve. ball is a bigger contributor to wins tan Russel. They added Lopez who is very good. KCP is solid. Ingram cant be worse than last year. They have no incentive to tank and a lot of other teams do. I say right around 30 wins.

« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

They are a bad team, no doubt. But how bad? They added Lopez who is very good and hasn't really had injurie problems for a couple years now. KCP is a solid basketball player. Ball is a rookie, but he will probably do more to help you win than Russel did. Ingram literally can't be worse than last year when he was one of the biggest negative in basketball. There are a lot of BAD teams in basketball right now. They may not be in the eats but they still get to play every one of teams twice. I think 33.5 is too high, but 26 is too low. I'm gonna say 30 wins for the Lakers.

Me too.

33.5 in too high, but they will be much improve. ball is a bigger contributor to wins tan Russel. They added Lopez who is very good. KCP is solid. Ingram cant be worse than last year. They have no incentive to tank and a lot of other teams do. I say right around 30 wins.

Ball and Ingram seem very fragile at this point. Both have been injured multiple times this year and the season hasn't even started.