Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 239920 times)

Re: More Robert Williams please....
« Reply #1455 on: December 06, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
As an update, the G league web page says he has played 2 games. His stats are:

25 min per game
13.5 points per game
0 3 pointer attempts
62.5 ft%
9 rebounds per game
2.5 assists per game
2.5 blocks per game

I think he comes up while Baynes heals.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1456 on: December 07, 2018, 01:16:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hopefully we see more Robert Williams with Baynes likely to be out for the next few games at least.
once it was announced Baynes sprained his ankle, I was wondering if some of his minutes would go Williams or if they'll get divvied up between Horford, Theis and possibly Semi/Yabu. Looks like just a bit between everyone. Not good
My guess is William's will be activated to play while Baynes is inactive

« Reply #1457 on: December 07, 2018, 06:31:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hopefully we see more Robert Williams with Baynes likely to be out for the next few games at least.
once it was announced Baynes sprained his ankle, I was wondering if some of his minutes would go Williams or if they'll get divvied up between Horford, Theis and possibly Semi/Yabu. Looks like just a bit between everyone. Not good
My guess is William's will be activated to play while Baynes is inactive
Yes, obviously, but will he play?  I think it depends more on how Semi and Yabu look than Williams.

« Reply #1458 on: December 07, 2018, 08:14:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  I think it depends more on how Semi and Yabu look than Williams.

They play Yabu even when he looks bad, sometimes, I don't think he should ever be on the court, because he does so little out there most of the time.   Semi looks better on offense this year.  Williams has far more potential than both.

« Reply #1459 on: December 07, 2018, 09:05:14 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Did Williams play for Red Claws  his box score was empty-Why send him up not to play?,Was he sick or injured?

« Reply #1460 on: December 07, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Did Williams play for Red Claws  his box score was empty-Why send him up not to play?,Was he sick or injured?
He didn't play for personal reasons.
He posted a baby pic on Instagram, so i think he is a daddy now.

« Reply #1461 on: December 07, 2018, 10:25:53 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
He didn't play for personal reasons.
He posted a baby pic on Instagram, so i think he is a daddy now.

Wonder if he will play against Chicago, anyone know if he got recalled?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1462 on: December 08, 2018, 04:06:12 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Cute baby-let him stay!!!!

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1463 on: December 08, 2018, 12:25:20 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Time for minutes tonight with Baynes ruled out?

« Reply #1464 on: December 08, 2018, 01:36:21 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I want Williams to play.

I'll ask again, name one player CBS didn't play that goes on to play any meaningful minutes for any other team?

It's way too early to say CBS won't play him eventually, this season the player crunch is stopping him more than anything IMO. I just know he'll play when he's ready unless forced in by injuries. I don't know what CBS sees about these guys but he's been right every time, if they can play, they get minutes eventually and if they can't we as fans continue to beg for them until we see ourselves, they never get minutes when they are off the team and most never play another minute beyond preseason.

I'm going to give CBS the room before I make a big fuss this time, he's earned it and there are many Jordan Mickey threads to prove it, amongst others. Again, there is no indication that CBS doesn't think he will ever be ready, he just doesn't think he's ready yet. Certainly not more ready or deserving than Theis or Baynes. You could argue Yabu but that's crazy because he doesn't get minutes either just more DNP-CD.

Personally, I think Rob has the physical traits to get him minutes in situations that Mickey didn't get in the time he was here. There were many times he could have played, if he was any good, during his tenure but he just didn't live up to anything more than Super Garbageman! I just have to be patient in regards to Rob.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #1465 on: December 08, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Williams set the best screen I ever saw him set last night. It was really solid and he also had a great pass to Wannamaker under the basket but Wannamaker didn't expect it and couldn't do anything with it. Williams has some skills. He needs to get at least a few minutes a game. I'm hoping for more blow outs so he can get more court time.
Better hope for other players being injured if you want to see William's as he is normally not active to play when everyone is healthy.

If Stevens just stops playing Horford as his only big at center, but let him play at PF where he had so much success last year there will be some minutes for Williams (and more for Theis).
The problem I laid out has zero to do with available minutes it has to do with the fact Steven's sees Williams as the 14th man and when everyone is healthy, then William's is not made active and so isn't even available to play if minutes opened up.

Well he should find a way to give him playing time (for example resting players), because he won't develop fast if he doesn't play minutes in the NBA. Almost every 1st round pick is getting extensive minutes and by that they're growing into legit NBA players. If we don't give Williams minutes then next summer he basically will be the same player as now and he won't be ready to  step into the line-up.

It would be a waste of talent. Look at Mitchell Robinson (#36 pick), a player with the same profile as Williams and similarly talented (I'd have been ok with Robinson as the Celtics' pick as well). Both players show promising stats, but Robinson has already played 364 minutes and Willams only 33. Who's going to be the best player out of them by the end of the year?

And it's easy with Porzingis injured to play Robinson a lot of minutes, but Stevens has to see the whole picture. And Williams could be a vital part of the future of the Celtics. A coach needs to see more than the next game.
I can't believe I am once again going to have to explain the fact that players can actually develop when fans don't see them, like in practice, the weight room, the G League, walk throughs and by watching video. Giving a kid that isn't ready for NBA rotational minutes when they are not ready can create bad habits in the player, discourage the player if they struggle and can cause a player to lose his confidence and maybe get the yips(see Markelle Fultz).

Steven's has a track record of playing young players big minutes their rookie year if they are ready for the NBA, especially defensively. Smart, Brown, Tatum and Ojeleye are proof of that. He also plays young guys on rookie contracts big minutes when they are ready for NBA minutes, like Rozier. And he has a proven track record being right on players not good enough for the NBA like: Jordan Mickey, James Young, R J Hunter, etc., etc.

When Williams is ready and has earned NBA rotational minutes, he will play. Until then, he doesn't. He will just have to develop slowly because he isn't good enough and shouldn't be getting minutes until he is.

Well stated.

I don't get why people cannot understand this concept.  Do they really think all it takes to develop a player is to simply play them in games, regardless of whether or not they are ready?

When RWIII has proven he is ready he'll play.

« Reply #1466 on: December 08, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Williams set the best screen I ever saw him set last night. It was really solid and he also had a great pass to Wannamaker under the basket but Wannamaker didn't expect it and couldn't do anything with it. Williams has some skills. He needs to get at least a few minutes a game. I'm hoping for more blow outs so he can get more court time.
Better hope for other players being injured if you want to see William's as he is normally not active to play when everyone is healthy.

If Stevens just stops playing Horford as his only big at center, but let him play at PF where he had so much success last year there will be some minutes for Williams (and more for Theis).
The problem I laid out has zero to do with available minutes it has to do with the fact Steven's sees Williams as the 14th man and when everyone is healthy, then William's is not made active and so isn't even available to play if minutes opened up.

Well he should find a way to give him playing time (for example resting players), because he won't develop fast if he doesn't play minutes in the NBA. Almost every 1st round pick is getting extensive minutes and by that they're growing into legit NBA players. If we don't give Williams minutes then next summer he basically will be the same player as now and he won't be ready to  step into the line-up.

It would be a waste of talent. Look at Mitchell Robinson (#36 pick), a player with the same profile as Williams and similarly talented (I'd have been ok with Robinson as the Celtics' pick as well). Both players show promising stats, but Robinson has already played 364 minutes and Willams only 33. Who's going to be the best player out of them by the end of the year?

And it's easy with Porzingis injured to play Robinson a lot of minutes, but Stevens has to see the whole picture. And Williams could be a vital part of the future of the Celtics. A coach needs to see more than the next game.
I can't believe I am once again going to have to explain the fact that players can actually develop when fans don't see them, like in practice, the weight room, the G League, walk throughs and by watching video. Giving a kid that isn't ready for NBA rotational minutes when they are not ready can create bad habits in the player, discourage the player if they struggle and can cause a player to lose his confidence and maybe get the yips(see Markelle Fultz).

Steven's has a track record of playing young players big minutes their rookie year if they are ready for the NBA, especially defensively. Smart, Brown, Tatum and Ojeleye are proof of that. He also plays young guys on rookie contracts big minutes when they are ready for NBA minutes, like Rozier. And he has a proven track record being right on players not good enough for the NBA like: Jordan Mickey, James Young, R J Hunter, etc., etc.

When Williams is ready and has earned NBA rotational minutes, he will play. Until then, he doesn't. He will just have to develop slowly because he isn't good enough and shouldn't be getting minutes until he is.

Well stated.

I don't get why people cannot understand this concept.  Do they really think all it takes to develop a player is to simply play them in games, regardless of whether or not they are ready?

When RWIII has proven he is ready he'll play.

Fair points. I’m trusting the coaches for the reasons you give, and agree that PT isn’t the only or sometimes the best way to develop. Just tantalized by the physical talent and motor the kid shows when he plays, so impatient. Wanting him to play to catch a glimpse when they’re short-handed, or even better, when they think he’s ready for a permanent role in the rotation.

« Reply #1467 on: December 09, 2018, 01:40:01 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
With Yabu out for a while I'm guessing we will finally see more Robert Williams.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1468 on: December 09, 2018, 02:09:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With Yabu out for a while I'm guessing we will finally see more Robert Williams.
Or Horford and Baynes will get healthy quick and the bigs rotation will be Horford, Morris, Baynes, Theis Ojeleye and Williams will never see the floor

« Reply #1469 on: December 09, 2018, 02:11:34 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
More blowouts would be nice for his PT