Around the League > Around the NBA

Why do people think Lakers are a lock to get Lebron?

<< < (2/7) > >>

TheSundanceKid:
The overhyped London Ball is the reason. Why wouldn't LeBron go to play with the next megastar of the NBA???

In reality, LeBron will only go there if they can sign another max FA to go alongside him, like Paul George. Then sign a guy like Wade for an exception. The Lakers are a long way from freeing up the cap space to do that so they may not even be an option come summertime.

I'm not sure of the cap situation but Dallas might be an interesting option for him. I do think the most likely situation is him remaining in Cleveland for an extra year and then assessing things in 2019

timpiker:
I think the Lakers rumors are because its a great story - a down and out legendary franchise coming from the ashes to riches with LeBUM !  U could make a movie of it!  And Hollywood is right down the street.

And I don't get the love some people have for the Lakers current roster....ummmm no I don't think they are very good.

Moranis:
The only way I see this is if the Lakers can figure out a way to get George, James, and some other star (like Westbrook).  That team would have a realistic shot with 3 stars and James isn't leaving Cleveland to go to a team less likely to even make the Finals.

If James goes the young player route, I maintain the Sixers are far more likely, especially if Embiid can stay relatively healthy this year and Simmons and Fultz look like they might hit their potential.  That would be a nearly identical situation to Cleveland when he went back, except the Sixers have more young pieces and enough cap room to flat out sign him without dumping anyone.  And if the Sixers do dump some players, they could theoretically acquire James and someone else.  Imagine James and Westbrook with Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz, with Saric, Holmes, and Covington on the bench (not to mention they might also have at least one more lottery pick in the next draft).  That team would be set up to win for a decade. 

jambr380:

--- Quote from: timpiker on September 14, 2017, 08:23:15 AM ---I think the Lakers rumors are because its a great story - a down and out legendary franchise coming from the ashes to riches with LeBUM !  U could make a movie of it!  And Hollywood is right down the street.

And I don't get the love some people have for the Lakers current roster....ummmm no I don't think they are very good.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, they are pretty bad. If Lebron and George were to sign there, they would have to let Lopez, KCP, and [likely] Randle walk while finding a home (using picks or young players) for Deng. So much for their depth. And, although veterans seem to flock to Lebron wherever he goes, the Warriors and even the Cs would probably be a more desirable destination for aging vets trying to jump on to a contender.

RLewis35:

--- Quote from: Moranis on September 14, 2017, 08:35:33 AM ---The only way I see this is if the Lakers can figure out a way to get George, James, and some other star (like Westbrook).  That team would have a realistic shot with 3 stars and James isn't leaving Cleveland to go to a team less likely to even make the Finals.

If James goes the young player route, I maintain the Sixers are far more likely, especially if Embiid can stay relatively healthy this year and Simmons and Fultz look like they might hit their potential.  That would be a nearly identical situation to Cleveland when he went back, except the Sixers have more young pieces and enough cap room to flat out sign him without dumping anyone.  And if the Sixers do dump some players, they could theoretically acquire James and someone else.  Imagine James and Westbrook with Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz, with Saric, Holmes, and Covington on the bench (not to mention they might also have at least one more lottery pick in the next draft).  That team would be set up to win for a decade.

--- End quote ---

100% agree.  If he goes the young player route, Philly is by far the best option and keeps him in the Eastern Conference.  I dont think he moves to LAL, but if he does, its by multiple stars going there (which would probably mean Lonzo is dealt in a package for one...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version