Author Topic: Summer League Game #2 Recap  (Read 1939 times)

Summer League Game #2 Recap
« on: July 07, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
http://www.nba.com/magic/news/BOS-ORL_recap_070709.html

Anderson Flourishes, Magic Get First Win

By Ali Kicklighter

ORLANDO -- Ryan Anderson notched a double-double with 33 points and 14 rebounds as the Orlando Magic earned their first victory at the 2009 Orlando Pro Summer League with Tuesday’s 85-82 triumph over the Boston Celtics.

The former University of California standout, who last month was traded along with Vince Carter to the Magic, racked up 14 of Orlando’s first 23 points.

Three other Magic players scored in double figures, including Kasib Powell, Darian Townes and Maurice Ager.

Powell finished with 15 points, while Townes and Ager each had 10.

The Magic had a one-point lead at the half, but the Celtics were able to quickly establish some momentum after the break as the Celtics controlled a six-point lead in the third.

Orlando managed to regain the lead in the fourth as it pulled out to a four-point advantage with three minutes remaining. After a back-and-forth battle, the Celtics rallied back to even the game at 80 with one minute left before the Magic sealed it in the final seconds.

Coby Karl, who returned to action after missing Monday’s opener due to a FIBA technicality, led Boston with 18 points, while J.R. Giddens contributed 17 points and Nick Fazekas had 12.

Orlando will clash with New Jersey/Philadelphia on Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET, while Boston and Oklahoma City will precede at 5 p.m.

Sorry put it in Celtics Talk instead of Game thread by accident.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Re: Summer League Game #2 Recap
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 07:22:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I hadn't realize Anderson was part of the Carter deal.  He can definitely help the Magic.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I hadn't realize Anderson was part of the Carter deal.  He can definitely help the Magic.

yeah he's a decent player, but i watched the 4th Q and he was being guarded by JR who is about 5 inches shorter than him.

I can't say about the rest of the game, but his 4th Q points weren't very impressive.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:59:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

yeah he's a decent player, but i watched the 4th Q and he was being guarded by JR who is about 5 inches shorter than him.

I can't say about the rest of the game, but his 4th Q points weren't very impressive.

Not putting much stock in todays 33 points.  I just didn't realize he was on the Magic until I checked the box.  I liked what I saw from him last year.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Not putting much stock in todays 33 points.  I just didn't realize he was on the Magic until I checked the box.  I liked what I saw from him last year.

You won't see much of it this year. He will be deep on the bench.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:17:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

You won't see much of it this year. He will be deep on the bench.
yeh, probably not huh
Yup

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:22:02 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'd like to have a better sense of Karl's defense -- a little tough to tell from this game. I know historically it's been poor but it sounds as if he's improved, and we know how guys improve their team D in the Cs system.

He should certainly be in the league, though i'm not sure if that can be with the Cs considering they have Walker and Giddens. If one goes in a trade, I'd seriously consider signing him.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:08:09 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
Ryan Anderson can do some things but I wouldn't get excited about 33 and 14 in summer league. Let's not forget that Kedrick Brown was all world in the summer league! 

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 10:23:16 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Anderson still put up decent numbers as a rookie for the Nets.  Granted, he got more playing time then he should have because he was on an awful team, but he's still a decent player.  I think he'll have a solid career as an 8th man.

I think he'll see more playing time than you think in Orlando, especially if Gortat leaves as well.  Anderson doesn't have the size to play much at C, but I think the situation will dictate that he backs up Howard more often than the Magic would like.  He could end up being the first big off the bench there.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
He definitely was a good pickup for the Magic and fits into their system as a big man who can shoot the three.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:35:42 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
So how did the Magic get Vince Carter for Courtney Lee and scrubs?  Was it a salary cap move?