Author Topic: Official CS Monkees Fan Thread  (Read 7095 times)

Re: Official CS Monkees Fan Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Didn't one of their moms make millions off of white-out?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 10:58:44 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
There were no Monkees, they were the figment of the imagination of modern TV. They could hardly play their instruments at all. Boyce and Hart wrote the tunes and studio musicians (probably the Wrecking Crew) played the instruments. They had absolutely no history together than meeting each other before they began filming. How anyone can mention them in the same breath with the Beatles or the DC5.

While I'm sure the guys were good people, fine entertainers and could actually sing a little, they weren't a real band.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 11:24:33 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
There were no Monkees, they were the figment of the imagination of modern TV. They could hardly play their instruments at all. Boyce and Hart wrote the tunes and studio musicians (probably the Wrecking Crew) played the instruments. They had absolutely no history together than meeting each other before they began filming. How anyone can mention them in the same breath with the Beatles or the DC5.

While I'm sure the guys were good people, fine entertainers and could actually sing a little, they weren't a real band.

Your knowledge of the Monkees is clearly limited—yeah, they began as a fictitious band, but they became a real one, as demonstrated (in part) by the 11 records they produced over the years after the TV show was cancelled, and the numerous world tours they conducted. Peter Tork, who just died, was already proficient on guitar, bass, banjo, piano, and keyboards when the Monkees started, Mike Nesmith played guitar and already had begun a recording career, Davy Jones had also already begun a recording career and starred in Oliver! on Broadway, and Micky Dolenz was a child actor who, upon joining the Monkees, learned the drums because they needed a drummer, and he's one of the best pop-rock vocalists ever.

And in my opinion, the Beatles are overrated.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 12:23:08 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Your knowledge of the Monkees is clearly limited—yeah, they began as a fictitious band, but they became a real one, as demonstrated (in part) by the 11 records they produced over the years after the TV show was cancelled, and the numerous world tours they conducted. Peter Tork, who just died, was already proficient on guitar, bass, banjo, piano, and keyboards when the Monkees started, Mike Nesmith played guitar and already had begun a recording career, Davy Jones had also already begun a recording career and starred in Oliver! on Broadway, and Micky Dolenz was a child actor who, upon joining the Monkees, learned the drums because they needed a drummer, and he's one of the best pop-rock vocalists ever.

And in my opinion, the Beatles are overrated.
So, I won't touch your Beatles comment as it is opinion.  However, I agree with every you said about the Monkees.  They were created by TV, but to their credit they wanted to be a real band, and became one.  Peter Tork had already been a folk singer doing gigs in Greenwich Village when he "tried out" for the Monkees.  Mike Nesmith was always a "real" musician and went on to become a music producer.  Yes, Boyce and Hart wrote many/most of their songs, but that alone does not define if a band is "real".

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 01:28:28 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Didn't one of their moms make millions off of white-out?

Yup, Mike Nesmith's mom invented Liquid Paper.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis