Author Topic: Ainge says Fultz meeting "went well"  (Read 11082 times)

Re: Ainge says Fultz meeting "went well"
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sounds like Ainge was not too happy about the individual workout aspect of it though, I wonder why Fultz didnt agree to work out against anyone else?

He's the clearcut top prospect.  What benefit is it to him to work out against anyone?

Danny doesn't care...

He probably thinks Jordan/Kobe as great as they were....would be up for the challenge

Jaylen Brown was up for the challenge last year

fans need to forget how the 76ers or wolves choose their players. Danny is different
Wuh?  None of those guys were at the top of the draft.  Fultz has NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose by working out at all.

Yes what if Fox, Tatum or Jackson blows Dannys socks off??

Fultz taking the "easy" way...can also backfire

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 10:01:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/06/after_markelle_fultz_visit_danny_ainge_still_keeping_celtics_plans_fluid

“I learned that his scoring average is really good against a chair,” said president of basketball operations Danny Ainge. “Good shooting percentages against a chair. High efficiency.”

“I’ve gotten phone calls from other teams,” said Ainge, “but nothing that I’m tempted by.”

“I don’t know if it’s necessary, but we may bring him back in for a workout again,” said Ainge. (Fultz)

That doesn't sound very good at all for Fultz.
Yea I don't get why they'd bring him back in sounds like he didn't blow them away.

Both Smart and Brown were brought in for second workouts when the others weren't. If nothing else, that'd seemingly be a sign that he is our guy.

I think people are reading a bit too much into Danny here. To me, this clearly seems like Danny kind of downplaying everything to try and get other trade suitors to up their offers. That's how he always is with the media. If not, he's already got his guy in Fultz picked out.

Bender was also brought in for a second workout

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 10:20:54 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Sounds like Ainge was not too happy about the individual workout aspect of it though, I wonder why Fultz didnt agree to work out against anyone else?

He's the clearcut top prospect.  What benefit is it to him to work out against anyone?

Danny doesn't care...

He probably thinks Jordan/Kobe as great as they were....would be up for the challenge

fans need to forget how the 76ers or wolves choose their players. Danny is different
Wuh?  None of those guys were at the top of the draft.  Fultz has NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose by working out at all.

Exactly. Danny's draft board isn't likely to look like all the media and analysts' boards. His selections seem to take everyone by surprise every year. Often folks seem to say his picks are a reach, e.g. Rozier.  And look at Terry's play in his second season, playing in the postseason like he belongs there.

Truly, I wouldn't be surprised if he took someone else. If I were a gambler, I'd be taking the field over Fultz all day.

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 10:20:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/06/after_markelle_fultz_visit_danny_ainge_still_keeping_celtics_plans_fluid

“I learned that his scoring average is really good against a chair,” said president of basketball operations Danny Ainge. “Good shooting percentages against a chair. High efficiency.”

“I’ve gotten phone calls from other teams,” said Ainge, “but nothing that I’m tempted by.”

“I don’t know if it’s necessary, but we may bring him back in for a workout again,” said Ainge. (Fultz)

That doesn't sound very good at all for Fultz.

I think DA is just playing with the media. How many of the other guys working out are going to be two days, and get tours of the felicities?

This might have been more of a see how the body holds up, is he working on his game, get to know him better thing. Seeing other guys and bringing others in is more of a get people talking, see if some one offers more then they would normally have, and make sure all the T's are crossed in case one of those Nets type offers come threw the door last minute.

I'll let the 'felicities' typo slide for now, but the bolded part seems like the biggest piece. Seriously, the dude was in Boston for two full days and had televised interviews (see Jeff Goodman on ESPN) at the TD Garden discussing Celtics lore and possibly getting his # retired.

Danny has to downplay the experience and even if it didn't go amazingly, it's not like they don't have enough video of Fultz actually playing against other players.

Last year, the 3-8 prospects were all rated pretty evenly; it was important to get it right. This year is different, Fultz is ,and has been for a while, the #1 propsect.

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2017, 10:57:28 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
lol there is no "blowing Danny's socks off". Fultz is the best guard prospect in years, the other guys aren't. Not a real complicated process.

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 10:58:40 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Danny doesn't care...

Exactly. Danny's draft board isn't likely to look like all the media and analysts' boards. His selections seem to take everyone by surprise every year. Often folks seem to say his picks are a reach, e.g. Rozier.  And look at Terry's play in his second season, playing in the postseason like he belongs there.

Truly, I wouldn't be surprised if he took someone else. If I were a gambler, I'd be taking the field over Fultz all day.
Yeah, good thing you're not a gambler cuzz you'd lose your shirt on this one.

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 11:21:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
lol Danny has made his pick, it is Fultz.

The only reason he would appear to be cool on Fultz is because he has decided to take him. If Fultz did not blow away Danny he would have talked him up so as to sucker someone into taking him.

This tepid response is like a guy who just won the lottery and does not want anyone to know how lucky he feels.

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 11:23:53 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

The only reason he would appear to be cool on Fultz is because he has decided to take him. If Fultz did not blow away Danny he would have talked him up so as to sucker someone into taking him.

This tepid response is like a guy who just won the lottery and does not want anyone to know how lucky he feels.

Good point.

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 11:53:44 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
From the Globe: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/06/06/markelle-fultz-visit-went-well-danny-ainge-says/Ao9QrEcfs0Cc46aSQsNeGN/story.html

“It went well,” Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said by phone Tuesday. “I had dinner with him last night. He had a physical yesterday and he had a workout this morning with Brad [Stevens]. Everything went well. He’s very talented.”

Ainge said that Fultz’s workout did not include any other players.

“You know how I feel about workouts by themselves,” he said. “You don’t really take much from them.”

Of course not (sarcasm) ::).  That's why he selected the guy who agreed to participate in the most workouts last year, iirc, lol ;D.

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 12:58:10 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
My goodness, the usual suspects are using anything Danny said to further their agendas. Could you just let it go?!

You never know what Danny is thinking, nor if what he said is true or not. Its part of what makes him a good GM.

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2017, 08:35:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
http://cdn.espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4726199/markelle-fultzs-final-boston-stop-a-brad-stevens-film-session

"It’s good to hear [criticism]. That's what I've always wanted to hear, ever since I was younger," Fultz said. "I don't really like to hear the good stuff; I try to hear what can make me better because that's something I can work on."

Fultz said Stevens pointed out both positive and negative plays, but he said the message overall was finding ways to improve at the NBA level.

"[Stevens noted] little stuff about playing defense, better ways to help me," Fultz said. "[He highlighted] offensive stuff he liked that I did, the way I come off screen and rolls and different stuff like that. Also, stuff I can improve on on both ends, stuff I did good on the defensive end, too. It was both good and bad."

"If the Celtics happen to draft me, they're going to get a young player who's going to give it their all every night," Fultz said. "Whether that's scoring the ball, whether that's going to get a block, whether that's rebounding, whether that's sitting on the bench encouraging the players to play better, I'm always going to give it my all."

Added Fultz: "I would say [in] my game, I don't think there's one thing I can't do. I can score all three levels, I can go and get a rebound at any point of the game, I can go block a shot. That's pretty much what I would say: I'm versatile. I can guard the 1, 2, 3. I can do anything you need me to do to win a game."

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

TP for the lottery analogy!

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Is Fultz a bigger Kyrie with better defense? If he is that scoring is exactly what the Celtics need and Fultz is a perfect fit...

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Is Fultz a bigger Kyrie with better defense? If he is that scoring is exactly what the Celtics need and Fultz is a perfect fit...

I hope he is a better defender...bc Kyrie has been nothing short of garbage in the defensive department vs GSW

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

I hope he is a better defender...bc Kyrie has been nothing short of garbage in the defensive department vs GSW

Fultz has far superior physical attributes that should lead to a much better defender. Fultz has a 6'10" wingspan and Kyrie  has a 6'4" wingspan, Fultz is much bigger and just as fast.