Author Topic: John Salmons to get traded before the deadline  (Read 5209 times)

Re: John Salmons to get traded before the deadline
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I would do Ray for Salmons Kirk and Tyrus Thomas. Would make us a very deep team.

That would be quite a bad trade for us.

I see it as a "quarter for two dimes and a nickel" type of thing.  We've already got plenty of dimes; if we trade Ray, we need impact players, not depth.

I would be interested in either Hinrich or Salmons for other expiring contracts, although I can't see that happening if the Robinson trade happens.

I think that's a fair analogy, Roy. I do think that kind of return on Ray is one of the few trade scenarios that still maintains hope for this season, and the future.

But what if the quarter were to come back to Boston?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 06:45:09 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
salmons for scal and tony allen works
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 06:50:04 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I would do Ray for Salmons Kirk and Tyrus Thomas. Would make us a very deep team.

I see it as a "quarter for two dimes and a nickel" type of thing.  We've already got plenty of dimes; if we trade Ray, we need impact players, not depth.

I would be interested in either Hinrich or Salmons for other expiring contracts, although I can't see that happening if the Robinson trade happens.

But at least next year we will still have the two dimes and the nickel. I understand that this is a dual-edged sword, but we can't add much next year anyway (MLE) and with that we would be lucky to get this type of value. It also gives us much greater D for this year with a better chance at a ring than standing pat.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

But at least next year we will still have the two dimes and the nickel. I understand that this is a dual-edged sword, but we can't add much next year anyway (MLE) and with that we would be lucky to get this type of value. It also gives us much greater D for this year with a better chance at a ring than standing pat.

Well, next year we'd have Hinrich and Salmons, with Thomas potentially walking.  However, I don't necessarily see this as a good thing.  To sustain the window, we need near-elite level players.  If we instead add a bunch of mediocre players, all that does is give us a few mediocre seasons.  If that's our future, I'd rather see us blow the team up and rebuild.

I'd be fine with Kmart, Iggy, or even Jason Richardson.  However, I don't think Salmons or Hinrich is good enough to start on a deep playoff team.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I think a Kirk Hinrich + John Salmons + Tyrus Thomas package is an improvement over keeping Ray Allen.

I don't think 2 outta 3 is enough ... due to the small roles Hinrich + Thomas would be filling. If either was getting 30-35 minutes as a starter at their respective positions (PG + PF) then they'd be able to match Ray's contributions by themselves ... But all three together can make a larger contribution than Ray.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 06:55:19 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Hinrich is, Salmons isn't.  Salmons is a very streaky player. He's occasionally unstoppable.  The rest of the time he's blah.