Author Topic: Was rondo "playing hard" tonight?  (Read 12186 times)

Re: Was rondo "playing hard" tonight?
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
No i dont think he was playing particuarly hard. I  can say that about 100% of NBA players throughout a season though so i dont.

Right in our own backyard too.  Look at those Celtics teams from 09-10 to 11-12. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No i dont think he was playing particuarly hard. I  can say that about 100% of NBA players throughout a season though so i dont.

Right in our own backyard too.  Look at those Celtics teams from 09-10 to 11-12.

Not enough Paul Stanley in the locker room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYaQgp8DFCk
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Lol, in the "Why did Rondo come back?" thread, people were whining that he was playing too hard, wondering why he was trying to win and freaking out over the team's draft position.  Barely a week later, we have this.

Some of you posters need to get a grip.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 06:35:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Rondo was playing within the team's goals tonight.  I can say with certainty he was not playing to win the game.  He was playing within the team's ultimate goal of getting better and developing as a team.

If you're the best player on a team and you only take 7 shot attempts on a night when you've shot 6/7, then clearly you either didn't play aggressively enough or you weren't getting the ball enough.  As point guard, the whole getting the ball enough things is obviously not the issue.  Rondo's wasn't aggressive because his priority tonight was not winning the game.  His priority is getting the younger guys touches to help them develop and to help the front office and coaching staff find out what they have in them.

Furthermore, as a team, our guards did a really bad job tonight defending their guards.  Rondo is way too good of a defender to allow the likes of Patty Mills or Cory Joseph do what they did last night if he was truly trying to win this game.  If this was the playoffs, Rondo would have taken those guys out of the game.

So you're on the record as believing that there are active, starting Celtics players who don't care about winning basketball games?
Not caring and not being the top priority are different things.  I care about many things that I might consider secondary to more important things.

I'm on record as believing that Rondo's top priority last night was not to win the ball game.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 12:48:14 AM »

Offline sunnyd656

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
Guys, I know Rondo is JUST getting back from an ACL tear, and SURE Rose and Westbrook re-injured their injuries from going to hard to fast. But seriously, ask your self, IS RONDO READY TO RE-INJURE HIMSELF FOR THIS TEAM. If the answer is NO then trade him ASAP.

/sarcasm off
  Every year there are 6-7 teams with a lower winning percentage than our current record. I think we've gotten so used to ignoring the bottom feeders since 2008 that we've forgotten how bad some teams are.

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 12:49:24 AM »

Offline sunnyd656

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
Also, didn't read thread, because lol @ the subject. Arguably best troll thread of the year thus far.
  Every year there are 6-7 teams with a lower winning percentage than our current record. I think we've gotten so used to ignoring the bottom feeders since 2008 that we've forgotten how bad some teams are.

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 02:25:56 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo was playing within the team's goals tonight.  I can say with certainty he was not playing to win the game.  He was playing within the team's ultimate goal of getting better and developing as a team.

If you're the best player on a team and you only take 7 shot attempts on a night when you've shot 6/7, then clearly you either didn't play aggressively enough or you weren't getting the ball enough.  As point guard, the whole getting the ball enough things is obviously not the issue.  Rondo's wasn't aggressive because his priority tonight was not winning the game.  His priority is getting the younger guys touches to help them develop and to help the front office and coaching staff find out what they have in them.

Furthermore, as a team, our guards did a really bad job tonight defending their guards.  Rondo is way too good of a defender to allow the likes of Patty Mills or Cory Joseph do what they did last night if he was truly trying to win this game.  If this was the playoffs, Rondo would have taken those guys out of the game.

So you're on the record as believing that there are active, starting Celtics players who don't care about winning basketball games?
Not caring and not being the top priority are different things.  I care about many things that I might consider secondary to more important things.

I'm on record as believing that Rondo's top priority last night was not to win the ball game.

You claim Rondo's not trying to win the game because he's getting other guys touches instead of shooting more. We've won hundreds of games with Rondo passing more and shooting less. The fact that it didn't work this game doesn't prove much.