Author Topic: Ok what rumor breaks at 12:00 EST. About the Celtics and FA?  (Read 11368 times)

Re: Ok what rumor breaks at 12:00 EST. About the Celtics and FA?
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 01:04:01 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
If they plan on keeping Rondo....a happy Rondo might make him and his buddy achieve full potential....neither of who'm have seemed to do as of yet.

2 friends keeping each other outta trouble and pushing each other as teammates. I can think of lots of wirse things including the bad effects of this combo but...it could work.

Who is Rondo's friend on this team? He loved Perk,Rev Dooling and K.G. so far as I recall....who's his binky now? He gotta have somebody to talk to...who is also a great athlete btw...I'm just sayin'

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 02:00:44 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Sign and Trades emerging for JJ Reddick, no talk of returning to Milwaukee, per Woj's twitter.

If we are re-tooling I would be down for JJ Reddick starting at the 2.  Good pairing w/ Rondo.

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 02:04:20 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Sign and Trades emerging for JJ Reddick, no talk of returning to Milwaukee, per Woj's twitter.

If we are re-tooling I would be down for JJ Reddick starting at the 2.  Good pairing w/ Rondo.

I have my worries about the pair of them on defense, but JJ is definitely a capable ballhandler and a knock down shooter.

I hadn't realized that I liked the idea of Tyreke in Boston as much as I did until the "personal source thread," so I'm going to stump for him at the Combo 1/2. He's like Barbosa on steroids, and would be the one guard that isn't undersized on our roster.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2013, 02:09:23 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson

I have my worries about the pair of them on defense, but JJ is definitely a capable ballhandler and a knock down shooter.

I hadn't realized that I liked the idea of Tyreke in Boston as much as I did until the "personal source thread," so I'm going to stump for him at the Combo 1/2. He's like Barbosa on steroids, and would be the one guard that isn't undersized on our roster.

Yeah, I was more seeing the options on O.  JJ works hard without the ball, and is a good shooter.  I think he has improved a lot on d the last couple of years I have watched him.  He has a good motor and the effort is there, but maybe not the elite athleticism. 

I don't mind Tyreke either.  It just seems like if we keep Rondo, I want the better shooter in as the 2 guard.  Tyreke has awesome ability to get to the hoop, but not quite the shooter.  Maybe Tyreke def upside is higher than JJ's I guess.  If TE could improve his 3 point shooting it would be great.

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2013, 02:54:44 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Yeah, I was more seeing the options on O.  JJ works hard without the ball, and is a good shooter.  I think he has improved a lot on d the last couple of years I have watched him.  He has a good motor and the effort is there, but maybe not the elite athleticism. 

I don't mind Tyreke either.  It just seems like if we keep Rondo, I want the better shooter in as the 2 guard.  Tyreke has awesome ability to get to the hoop, but not quite the shooter.  Maybe Tyreke def upside is higher than JJ's I guess.  If TE could improve his 3 point shooting it would be great.

Problem is Reddick is nearing 30.

By the time his contributions mean anything, he'd be on the wrong side of the 30 mark and maybe even due for a re-up in his contract.

Aren't you supposed to build fit around talent and not the other way round?

Stretch that saying out and apply it to our team. This team has a severe lack of talent. I say worry about talent first and fit later.

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 03:01:04 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson

By the time his contributions mean anything, he'd be on the wrong side of the 30 mark and maybe even due for a re-up in his contract.

Stretch that saying out and apply it to our team. This team has a severe lack of talent. I say worry about talent first and fit later.

I never said JJ would be good for a re-build.  I said for a re-tool, which I assume is way faster than a full rebuild.
Either way, I can see your point though.  He works better with a contender.  I just think we need a better shooter at the 2 if we keep RR long term.  I don't think TE has proven that yet.

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 03:14:05 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

I never said JJ would be good for a re-build.  I said for a re-tool, which I assume is way faster than a full rebuild.
Either way, I can see your point though.  He works better with a contender.  I just think we need a better shooter at the 2 if we keep RR long term.  I don't think TE has proven that yet.

Ah, sorry I missed that. My mistake.

I don't feel too strongly about any direction that Ainge might take. I would somewhat prefer a full on rebuild for 3-4 years, I reckon that would be more sustainable than selling short on our draft picks and rebuilding seems more in line with Rondo's injury timetable.

But, heck, he can re-tool while rebuilding getting guys like J-Smoove and Reddick for only some of the picks we have while leaving others for later. I love the wiggle room Ainge has and am really glad he got so much out of this.

In the short run, you're right. I wouldn't worry at all about talent in this case. J-Smoove can be had for the cap space we'll soon be able to give the Hawks with the TE. Sully, AB, the picks and even Olynyk can be consolidated into something bigger. DA will really need to work his magic.

My impression is Evans actually did improve his jumper. And, indeed this article agrees that there's improvement. His progression in this facet of the game actually sounds kind of like Rondo's.

As a 23 year old, in the long run, I don't think his jumper will be an issue.

Heck, with 2 great penetrating threats in Rondo and Tyreke, making the team pack their paint on D is not necessarily a bad thing.

The Spurs lost to the Heat despite playing D like this.

Of course I'm not comparing Rondo/Evans to LeBron. A 3rd threat with range and these 2 could do something.

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
But the part you and ALOT of people are missing is it's not very hard to get into the playoffs.

Take out Miami, Indy, Chicago and the two New York teams, and the rest of the East is anybody's ball game.

So if there has to be a 6th, 7th or 8th seed playoff team, why not it be the Celtics? (not to mention who knows if someone like the Knicks or Nets totally implodes.)

Also, I think you're underestimating a potential lineup of Rondo/Evans/Smith/Green.

If that lineup clicks the way it's suppose to with the likes of Wallace, Humph, Olynyk, Brooks, Sully and Bradley coming off the bench (give or take 1-2 players in a Smoove S/T), that's a pretty good team.

Only thing we'd then have to do is pick up a center (Dalembert, Hickson, Birdman) and we'd be looking pretty good.

I would also submit that lineup just mentioned could be even better than the team we had with the old guys, last year.

Because the 6/7/8 seeds are the worst. You're not good enough to win, but you're not good enough to be in the lottery. That's NBA purgatory, and it's the worst place to be in. Look at how the Atlanta Hawks.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but Rondo/Evans/Green/Smith sucks. That team would not be good at all. We'd get that 6/7/8 seed, but we'd be stuck there for as long as we have those guys as a core.

Well regarding whether Rondo/Evans/Green/Smith sucks, that's purely your opinion and nothing more. Not fact in any way.  As for the 6th-8th seed, if the Celts get one of those seeds next season, they'd then be able to improve and get a higher seed every year with more FA and trade acquisitions.

It's not like if the Celts make the 6th seed next season, that automatically  means they are going to get the 6th seed every year.

Also, the window for the Nets and Knicks is closing VERY quickly and Chicago in a way is still a wildcard with the status of Rose's injury.

And while we are at it, beyond next year we don't even know what the future holds for Miami.

If either Lebron or Bosh opts out of their deal, good chance that team loses a step or two.