Author Topic: Why isn't Doc being called out?  (Read 11254 times)

Re: Why isn't Doc being called out?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Our best perimeter scorer has a sprained MCL and probably would not be playing if it were the regular season.

Our best shooter has crippling bone spurs and will have surgery the second the season is over.

Our best perimeter defender has a chronically dislocated shoulder, is done for the season and will have surgery shortly.

The only two centers on the roster are D-leaguers.

Our starting center in game 1 of the year had to end his NBA career mid-way through the season, due to recurring injuries.

Our backup center in game 1 of the year had emergency heart surgery and is done for the year.

Our best perimeter bench player at the start of the season had emergency heart surgery and is done for the year.

And yet, we are one game away front the Eastern Conference Finals.

??

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 03:17:01 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Our best perimeter scorer has a sprained MCL and probably would not be playing if it were the regular season.

Our best shooter has crippling bone spurs and will have surgery the second the season is over.

Our best perimeter defender has a chronically dislocated shoulder, is done for the season and will have surgery shortly.

Our starting center in game 1 of the year had to end his NBA career mid-way through the season, due to recurring injuries.

Our backup center in game 1 of the year had emergency heart surgery and is done for the year.

Our best perimeter bench player at the start of the season had emergency heart surgery and is done for the year.

??

Its not like we're playing a healhthy Bulls team here...otherwise id give you a high-five and agree.... we're playing the 8th seeded 76ers and cant get rid of them laregely because of doug collins, the opposing coach
He deserves as much criticism as any player especially considering he literally almost never gets his team up to win a close out game on the road

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »

Offline QuickT

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
God-awful use of players by Doc.  For the love of Russell -- get either Moore, Pavlovic, or Daniels into the rotation.  Watching Ray Allen is both painful and sad.

Doolings shot is what we thought it was.

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
My only gripe with Doc is his rotations. More specifically his unwavering faith in "veterans" or the guys with nice player resumes. He often let's guys play through bad stretches and trusts them to make the plays even when they've basically proven they aren't up to task.  I suspect this trust is why players love him so much, but sometimes you've got to know when to sit guys.

Who else is he going to go to?  Stiemsma is hurt, and could barely limp around the court last night. Bradley is hurt.  Moore is not a rotation NBA player IMO, would be a liability defensively, and would not get a shot off against Philly's defense.  And Johnson and Williams don't know the system. 

The problem isn't that Doc isn't playing young guys, it is that the only young guys who deserve to play and could help the team are hurt.

I'm very aware of our depth and injury issues. I think you misinterpreted my post as some kind of complaint. It's just how I feel in general about Doc's coaching and is not at all a reaction to what's been going on these play-offs or even this season. I very much like Doc as a coach (now, hasn't always been that way), but like every one else he's not perfect. With the exception of his unwavering faith in his players I have no complaints at all about his coaching.

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
My only gripe with Doc is his rotations. More specifically his unwavering faith in "veterans" or the guys with nice player resumes. He often let's guys play through bad stretches and trusts them to make the plays even when they've basically proven they aren't up to task.  I suspect this trust is why players love him so much, but sometimes you've got to know when to sit guys.

Who else is he going to go to?  Stiemsma is hurt, and could barely limp around the court last night. Bradley is hurt.  Moore is not a rotation NBA player IMO, would be a liability defensively, and would not get a shot off against Philly's defense.  And Johnson and Williams don't know the system. 

The problem isn't that Doc isn't playing young guys, it is that the only young guys who deserve to play and could help the team are hurt.

I'm very aware of our depth and injury issues. I think you misinterpreted my post as some kind of complaint. It's just how I feel in general about Doc's coaching and is not at all a reaction to what's been going on these play-offs or even this season. I very much like Doc as a coach (now, hasn't always been that way), but like every one else he's not perfect. With the exception of his unwavering faith in his players I have no complaints at all about his coaching.

Fair enough.  I personally think this is actually a strength of his (for example, a lot of coaches would have stopped giving Bradley minutes, when he looked completely useless early in the season, but Doc kept throwing him out there, because he clearly knew more than we did about how ready he was).

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Doc's awesome.

...as a commentator.

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Fair enough.  I personally think this is actually a strength of his (for example, a lot of coaches would have stopped giving Bradley minutes, when he looked completely useless early in the season, but Doc kept throwing him out there, because he clearly knew more than we did about how ready he was).

You scream when Rasheed misses his 9th consecutive three pointer, you cheer when Ray hits his first 3 to win the game after going 0-6.

It's a strength and weakness that I've come to accept, but its easier when we win.

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Doc's biggest flaw is he is too much of a "player's coach".

Doc needs more Pop in him. He needs a bigger or shorter leash on the players.

Pop holds all his players accountable for all kinds of plays.

Doc allows his guys to "run random" too much.

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  The "blame game" that goes on with the Celtics fan base is bordering on ridiculous.

We're old. We're hurt.  We're slow.  We have no consistent, quality depth other they Ray and he is a shell of himself due to bad wheels.  We have almost no inside game on offense.  We're in year 5 of a 3 year plan.  We looked like a lottery team only a couple of short months ago.

Considering everything we're lucky to have gotten this far and no one is to blame if we go no further.

Blaming one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the NBA right now for not winning with a depleted and old roster is silly.  

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 06:06:42 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
doc rivers has the worst winning record in road closeout games in nba history.
And you got this information from where?

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »

Offline triple-doublerr

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2

??

All of that is true & Doc and all of the players do deserve credit for getting this far but.....

The issue should be that Doc didn't develop the remaining bench guys enough when JO,Wilcox,Dooling, & Bass went down for a stretch early in the regular season. He only played Stiemer & Bradley & even Moore out of neccesity, they were showing at least a little promise then, but as soon as the other guys came back we didn't see them for stretches of games. There were even times where Pavs didn't seem so bad, mainly on defense moreso than offense but he didn't get much playing time either. Bradley finally got into enough of Doc's good graces only when Rondo was out for a stint of games & his defense was off the charts.
Pre All Star break we were losing games just as ugly or worse than we are now, what difference would it have made if Doc gave any tandem of the other bench players steady minutes consistently? If for nothing else we'd at least now be able to put them in playoff games without cringing under our couches or coming close to throwing something at our tv's & breaking them. They might not have changed these playoff losses into wins but at least they would have enough confidence to give it a shot (like Stiemer & Bradley do/did). Instead, now we have a line of starters & subs that are hurt & hobbled yet noone to trust enough to put in the games to spell them when they're not playing up to par.

All this does not neccesarily mean that Doc should be called out or blamed however it does at least warrant a glance or hard stare in his direction(IMHO).

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 06:24:53 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Doc is doing a fine job. This predicament is on the players but a win on Saturday cures a lot of the ills...... Making the third round gives me a midocum of satisfaction we went further than the Lakers for instance.

The Celtics are doing what they can do but there is not a lot to improve on if the injuries, attrition, and old age finally get the best of you.

We got boned in the free agent chase where we did not get David West and Shane Battier. We got boned by Jeff Green's ailment, and season ending injuries to Chris Wilcox and Jermaine O'Neal.

We'll probably get boned worse in this upcoming off-season to the point that we are no longer viable playoff contenders but that is a topic for another day.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

??

TP.  I was about to write the same thing.  It also happens to be true that even at full strength we weren't predicted (and most here agreed) to be a contender.  Yet we are 1 game away from the 'Final 4'. 

Yes, I blame Doc. 

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's not being called out because he's not the lazy inconsistent PG who's running (or should I say walking) the Celtic's offense into the ground...

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
Players who Glenn refused to play until he had no alternative:

Rondo
Big Al
Perk (who shouldn't have played his rookie year, so I don't have a problem with that)
Gomes (who should have played over the scrubs who he was sitting behind)

(You can look it up. I've looked it up. Also watched it.)

He's a decent coach with a veteran team with All-Stars. So was K.C. Jones.

Glenn is better than KC, but he has a double-standard that would tear some teams apart.

He'll do fine because he schmoozes as well as anybody.

He's the best coach for this team right now.