Author Topic: Why isn't Doc being called out?  (Read 11256 times)

Re: Why isn't Doc being called out?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
When you back is agaisnt the wall in a game like this ..

YOU LET THE TOWEL BOY play ...if you think he can hit a BUCKET.

My only issue with Doc is playing guys like Ray when they are hurt and can contribute

FOR PETES sake PUT THE KIDS in ....don't do NOTHinG ??? :'(

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Doc was the reason the Celtics lost game 5, and that is obvious that he cost the Celtics alot of games

He went small and put Paul Pierce at the 4. Are you kidding me?
Bass was playing really well that game offensively and defending Brand and Thaddeus Young well. But just benched him the whole 4th quarter, and let the Big 4 get ran get worn out and tired for the 4th quarter

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 01:03:13 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
why does he keep playing hollins over greg? it's stupid.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
Doc has never been very good with rotations.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The problem isn't the coaching. It is the defense and the players. This is the same coach coaching the same players. What has changed is the players got old or injured. We are also playing a good defensive team. Philly was #3 in defensive efficiency during the regular season and they are healthy.

If the defense is making it hard for the better players, I fail to see how putting in worse players will fix that. I suppose Utah and the Clippers would not have been swept if only their coaches played the guys at the end of the bench.

If Doc was playing Moore, the Celtics are probably on vacation already.

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Doc's awesome.
Yup

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Doc isn't perfect but I dare you to find another coach better suited to coach our team.

I triple dare you.

Doc is human and he isn't immune to loyalty.

The fact is our team is now constructed to be a jump shooting team.

When Bass and KG aren't knocking down shots we don't have any spacing whatsoever.

In recent years we had better 3 point shooters and better spacing.

Are we seriously going to sit here and believe that Dooling nad Pietrus are good 3 point shooters?

In all honesty the only 3 point threat that is really threatening on our team right now is Paul Pierce and the occasional shot-clock winding down Rondo bail-out 3 pointer.

Ray can't get open.

Bradley has two bum shoulers and I don't even know how he's getting shots up.

Sasha doesn't play.

And Moore is a rookie.

Like Doc has said all year "I like this team..." and "we have a small margin for error" and I don't know anyone who has a better pulse on their team than Rivers does with our C's.

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It is not on Doc that the players are not executing the plays correctly, and therefore are not getting good shots.

However, what is on Doc is the attitude of the team going into the game, and the lack of focus by many of the players.  Even though I personally believe there is litterally nothing he could do about it, and the NBA is completely a players league...that is still (unfairly perhaps) part of his job description.

So yes, Doc does deserve blame for not getting his players more focussed on the game, and not getting them to focus in general when their backs are not against the wall.  But I am not sure there is a coach in the world that would have done any better.

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
My only gripe with Doc is his rotations. More specifically his unwavering faith in "veterans" or the guys with nice player resumes. He often let's guys play through bad stretches and trusts them to make the plays even when they've basically proven they aren't up to task.  I suspect this trust is why players love him so much, but sometimes you've got to know when to sit guys.

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 02:02:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
My only gripe with Doc is his rotations. More specifically his unwavering faith in "veterans" or the guys with nice player resumes. He often let's guys play through bad stretches and trusts them to make the plays even when they've basically proven they aren't up to task.  I suspect this trust is why players love him so much, but sometimes you've got to know when to sit guys.

Who else is he going to go to?  Stiemsma is hurt, and could barely limp around the court last night. Bradley is hurt.  Moore is not a rotation NBA player IMO, would be a liability defensively, and would not get a shot off against Philly's defense.  And Johnson and Williams don't know the system. 

The problem isn't that Doc isn't playing young guys, it is that the only young guys who deserve to play and could help the team are hurt.

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »

Offline ewp

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Doc's obviously putting out the guys that he believes gives the C's the best chance to win.  Injuries have taken the legs from Allen, shoulders from Bradley, the back from Stiemsma and the knee from Pietrus.  Not to mention if and/or to what degree Pierce is still injured.

Let's go C's!

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
You can ask players all day to manage the pace of the game.

And if they don't do it, you either bench them or ride it out.

Blaming Doc for this is one of many baffling things I've seen on this board in the last day, perhaps not as baffling as the claim that shooting percentages show the offense is working but baffling nonetheless.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
doc rivers has the worst winning record in road closeout games in nba history.

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Doc isn't the one playing the game. His team is. They know what they have to do. They just need to go out there and do it. Let's stop looking for any one person to blame. Blame the team for missing so many wide open shots.

If either KG or Bass make half of the looks the had in the first half, we win this game. If both make at least half or close to half of the shots they take, we win in a blowout. It's that simple.

But they aren't the only ones at fault. The entire team didn't get it done tonight. You win as a team and lose as a team.

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Talk about a team raising a brick ranch.   Our team built one of epic size last night.

76'ers an't that good.   I just never saw such a weird team that shoots 60 % one night then 30% the next.

When you shoot this bad , heck anybody  can beat us and no amount of energy or effort is gonna made up for it. 

We need people that can "MAKE A SHOT"  as Sir Charles says.....I don't care if they are slow , tall, fat , short ulgy , black or white.  We need somebody who we can COUNT ON to "MAKE A SHOT .

::)