Author Topic: Why isn't Doc being called out?  (Read 11257 times)

Why isn't Doc being called out?
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:05:19 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Clearly, several players weren't perfect in tonight's game. But it absolutely baffles me how so many Celtic fans refuse to blame Doc for anything. He won a title with a ridiculously stacked roster, he's really good at drawing up plays during timeouts, and he relates well to the players. Beyond that, IMO, he's an extremely flawed coach.

There's an old saying in coaching that you're either coaching it or allowing it to happen. How many times do we have to go several minutes at a time without getting a single good shot, make or miss, before people start to realize that the coaching is the problem? Also, our defense in the second half of Game 4 and 6 was absolutely pitiful. Again, that's coaching.

I didn't even post here after Game 4 because that was one of the most pathetically coached games I've ever seen. No way you can let a veteran team with this much talent and experience just hand away a huge playoff game on a silver platter.

Doc can't do anything about it when guys like Bass or KG miss wide open looks, and that certainly hurt Boston tonight. But there's no way this team should ever go possession after possession without getting a single good shot in a crucial playoff game, especially when the big 4 has been together for so long. This isn't just a 2012 problem, but it's been going on for awhile now. And to be taken seven games by the eighth seed? This is completely different than Atlanta in '08. Now, with the age/health issues this team faces, closing this series in five or six games was absolutely vital. The players knew this and Doc knew this. And the '08 team had never played together in the playoffs.

Re: Why isn't Doc being called out?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:08:05 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I agree with you. Doc is addicted to loyalty
I think he's taking this "player-coach" thing too far. Getting too buddy buddy with his star players that he doesn't want to make them mad by benching them

He is BY FAR the worst coach when it comes to substitutions
Cost the Celtics alot of games with his horrible lineups
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:36:49 AM by OsirusCeltics »

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:30:03 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Celtics are 20-7 in Game 7's and Doc Rivers is the head coach of 3 of those 7 losses (2 of them in Boston - and those 2 losses were not close by the way).

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:40:39 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
There's not much for Doc to work with at this point. The Celtics are who they are at this point. If KG, Rondo or Pierce aren't on, they're in big trouble. Pietrus, Bass and injured Ray aren't exactly going to make up for an off performance from any of those players. This is a team that has gotten to where it is through a combination of great defense and opportunistic offense. Any game where the offense isn't clicking is going to turn into a crapshoot.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:17:25 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  Because he doesn't have the horses.  If his team were completely healthy they'd have a shot but they clearly are not.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 07:24:48 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He has a dead leg older team that has taken another of many hits to the depth. 

The younger and deeper 76ers are blowing by the Celtics defense to often now and have had little issues keeping up with much of the Celtics offense.

The best thing going for the Celtics is the extra day of rest before the next game.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Doc can't make old legs young or make them execute or their bodies obey their minds.   He can't play for them...

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »

Offline TBreezy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Philly deserves credit - their d was stifling on the over play, but the celtics made no adjustments.  The backdoor cut cut off of the show is nearly always available when the d overplays the passing lanes or tries to beat you to your spot.  Either this was missed by the coaching staff OR we don't have the type of players that can execute.  I have seen marquis execute that in the past - but unfortunately he has looked like a shell of his pre-injury player.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Doc can't make old legs young or make them execute or their bodies obey their minds.   He can't play for them...

I submit that the job and measure of a coach is to get his players to execute.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 08:10:33 AM »

Offline myteamisbetterthanyours

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 31
Doc is the 2nd best coach in the NBA, stop it.. Celtics were getting good shots... they were just missing them.. Its not on Doc. 

He's done a masterful job given that he's lost 3 proven rotational big men in Green, O'Neal and Wilcox and has had to rely on Stiemsma and Ryan Hollins instead.  Pietrus isn't doing squat right now, and he was supposed to help us with that spot up shooting of his.. Ray Allen's playing on one foot.. Our starting shooting guard Avery Bradley just got lost for the rest of the season..

It's crazy how many obstacles this team has had to overcome and they're still one of the top teams in the NBA despite all of this.. Doc is doing a GREAT job.

If you wanna blame someone.. Blame David Stern.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 08:14:06 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
   Give Doc the players and he will win because he is a great NBA coach.  Right now he probably has the players if all were healthy but they aren't and probably wont ever be again.

Time to reload.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:17:05 AM »

Offline ChapelHillCeltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Can't blame him for this because this team is old, injured, and tired.

He's not perfect but he's really good.  I'll keep him.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 08:18:45 AM »

Offline myteamisbetterthanyours

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 31

I submit that the job and measure of a coach is to get his players to execute.

Actually.. Its the coach's job to draw up plays that gives his players open shots.. Doc does that better than 95% of the coaches in the league.. Its the players job to execute and make those shots.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I don't really understand how Doc can be held responsible for any of our problems.
He's given a roster to work with.
Our youngest, fittest player has two busted shoulders. Our other shooting guard has severe bone spurs/chipping. Our starting small forward has a medium level knee problem.
Our back up centre has a severe left foot issue. We lost TWO players to heart ailments and our back up small forward has a severe knee issue.

What exactly do you want to call Doc out for?
Doc isn't the one shooting 33% either.
Everyone always needs a scapegoat but this is a TEAM and when you grow a collection of injuries and bad circumstances there is less and less for Doc to work with.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If Doc were a free agent so to speak, I think he would have teams drooling over him.  NYK,ORL, they would take Doc in a second.  It is really hard to judge whether Doc is the best coach or 3rd best or whatever but to say Doc is a bad coach?  I think that is really a stretch.