Author Topic: Erden  (Read 2389 times)

Erden
« on: December 27, 2010, 11:47:16 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Shaq fouled out in 13 minutes on Saturday and JO played significant minutes.  I'm curious why Erden received a DNP - Coach's Decision.  If there is ever a game where we need bodies and fouls, it is a game against Howard.  I don't know if it would have changed the outcome at all, but having Erden take 5 of JO's minutes may have helped the Celts out against Orlando and also, I see no reason to kill Erden's confidence since he has filled in admirably with JO out.  He has contributed more than JO this year and may ultimately be a better player while JO is shaking off the rust.

Thoughts?

Re: Erden
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I thought semih was flu ridden? no?

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Semih Erden lacks the strength/quickness/experience to compete with Dwight Howard. Both on the defensive end and on the boards. Doc was clearly most comfortable using Baby/Shaq on Howard overall. Putting Erden in against Howard would be putting him in a tough situation.

Even against Bass/Anderson front line I like Doc giving Jermaine minutes. He has a much higher ceiling for contributing this year, especially on the glass and defensively.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
It would have been a good idea to put Erden out there for 3-5 minutes. Let him see how it is playing a lineup of howard, bass and anderson. More experience, more skills, more help for us later....remember as it stands now, we need Erden, so, we might need him later too. Let him get the experience of bodying up with the bigs, learn when to foul...ect, besides, maybe he could have hit his fellow countryman turgolu...! He had it coming..!

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 01:02:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
While I wouldn't have minded seeing Semih get a few minutes, I think the team is taking the long view, and wants to get minutes for those guys who might be matched up against Orlando in the playoffs:  J.O. and BBD.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 02:01:04 PM »

Offline Celts17Pride

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Semih was out with the flu, that's why he didn't play.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Doesn't he have an injury he is trying to play through?  Would playing against the physical beast that Howard is when he doesn't need to because of the return of some depth really make sense?

Not to mention, J. Oneal needs the minutes to get back into game shape. 

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I love seeing Semih Erden play, I dont think his DNP was anything to do with Dwight Howard. We didnt hesitate to use him against Amare and he is a much bigger match up problem with his quickness.

Semih was and is still hurting from a shoulder injury that will likely require off season surgery. I also remember something about the flu. That JO needs minutes is obvious and Semih can use the rest. This was the right call by Doc and if we really needed him he was dressed.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 06:04:12 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'm a believer hell I think Semih would have actually maybe done well up against Bass and Anderson at the PF spot.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 06:48:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
He was sick and hurt and the team is trying to get JO back in shape. Makes sense to me. JO needs the minutes.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »

Offline LarryForThree

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
I guess Harangody had the flu too, I didn't see him log any minutes.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I guess Harangody had the flu too, I didn't see him log any minutes.

He is a garbage time player right now.