Author Topic: Celtics sign Harangody  (Read 12010 times)

Re: Celtics sign Harangody
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Cut Gaffney immediately. The guy has no game. Lafayette I keep if I can't add an upgrade defensively at the 3.

Lol.  Lucky 17 is right about Lafayette.  You want to keep a dime a dozen combo guard and cut Gaffney, a guy who could possibly be a defensive upgrade at the 3 that you're asking for...

Gaffney is a hard worker, he hustles, he is long, he boards, and he loves to defend.  Idk if there will be room for him but if there is there is no better kind of guy to have at the end of your bench.  He has potential.

I mean I'm a UMass guy so I've watched him play and have a soft spot for him, but he is so much more promising than Lafayette, and he fits in with the defensive mindset of the team.

Gaffney is nowhere close to being an NBA player.  He may have some skills defensively, but he makes Tony Allen look like Michael Jordan on offense. 

I think he could find a spot in the league in a few years, but he is nowhere close right now.

Never claimed he was getting hypothetical PT.  He is also not a guard, so you're not asking him to handle the ball like Tony would.  He is an around the paint guy, athletic enough to finish around the rim.  Otherwise he cleans the glass and defends.  And again he is a hard worker.

I think we'll need guys like that in the future, so if we have the spot I'll take him over Oliver 10 out of 10 times.  Maybe you cut them both but taking Oliver over Gaffney would be a real head scratcher.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:04:46 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I have forgotten what the deal is with the Red Claws...is the Celtics team limited to 13 + two on the Claws?  Or is it 15 for the main team + 2 for the Claws?

Celtics can field a roster max of 15, and that includes any players they've sent to the NBDL.
However since they only can dress 12 at a time, it wouldn't shock me that to start the season Gody and Erden start there with Bradley potentially joining them when Perk comes back.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 03:03:40 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
Luke is the new scalabrine...i can hear the chants now...
HAR=AN-GO-DY, HAR-AN-GO-DY, HAR-AN-GO-DY!!
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Are Wafer and Semi's contracts guaranteed?  If so, they're making the roster unless there's deal for Sheed's contract that brings back two players. 

Von Wafer has a partially guaranteed contract.  No one seems to be certain about Semih Erden's contract.  I have read conflicting reports that it is either two years guaranteed or one year guaranteed with a one-year team option.  Either way, the first year almost has to be guaranteed, since Erden reportedly is passing up a bigger contract in Turkey to play in the NBA.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 04:52:43 PM »

Offline bballee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18

Lol.  Lucky 17 is right about Lafayette.  You want to keep a dime a dozen combo guard and cut Gaffney, a guy who could possibly be a defensive upgrade at the 3 that you're asking for...

Gaffney is a hard worker, he hustles, he is long, he boards, and he loves to defend.  Idk if there will be room for him but if there is there is no better kind of guy to have at the end of your bench.  He has potential.

Gaffney is nowhere close to being an NBA player.  He may have some skills defensively, but he makes Tony Allen look like Michael Jordan on offense. 

I think he could find a spot in the league in a few years, but he is nowhere close right now.

Chris-
Seldom do I find myself in disagreement with you, but this is one of them.  I think Gaffney brings a similar defensive presence to that which Tony Allen provided, but with significantly more size
_________w/o______w/shoes_____reach____wingspan
Allen   6'3.5_____6'4.25______8'6"_____6'9"
Gaffney_6'7.75____6'8.75______7'1.5____NA

To me his size, disposition, and mobility give us the SF defender that is lacking.  He covered SG and SF, generally the best the opponent had to offer, and contained all of them.  I concur that his offense is MIA, but so was Allen's, and Gaffney shows none of TA's proclivity to try to do too much.  He finishes well, made a few jump shots (horribly flat shot), and showed good court awareness in filling lanes, moving into openings, and cutting to the basket.  Admittedly I have only summer league on which to judge, but at that time it had been nearly 9 months since he had played due to the foot injury. 

I suspect we will know who is closer to right by the end of camp.

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Luke is the new scalabrine...i can hear the chants now...
HAR=AN-GO-DY, HAR-AN-GO-DY, HAR-AN-GO-DY!!

You mean...

HA!!-RAN!!-GO!!-DY!! HA!!-RAN!!-GO!!-DY!! HA!!-RAN!!-GO!!-DY!!

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

Cut Gaffney immediately. The guy has no game. Lafayette I keep if I can't add an upgrade defensively at the 3.

I mean I'm a UMass guy so I've watched him play and have a soft spot for him, but he is so much more promising than Lafayette, and he fits in with the defensive mindset of the team.
He only has himself to blame for his summer league play.  Harangody took over games. Gaffney didn't make the  most of this opportunity.  He should have been running the show on offense, out-rebounding his team-mates, while knocking people down on defense.  Sounds impossible, but that's what he needed to show he could do.  Hitting a few more shots wouldn't have hurt either.   

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 06:00:02 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

I want to cut both of them and upgrade at the wing spot, however if I have to keep one it is Lafayette. He may have some deficiencies but the guy can score. Gaffney is crap. He is tall. Nothing more. Hustle doesn't get you very far or you'd all be clamoring about getting Scal re-signed. The guy looked terrible out there in the summer league. If he can't play well against a bunch of guys who will be playing in Europe, then he sure isn't going to help the Celtics. I'd 100% rather have Scal on the squad versus Gaffney.

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 06:04:33 PM »

Offline kofanis0880

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Harangody is trash... waste of a signing, but we all knew it was coming. Career D-Leaguer maybe a 10th player on the bench nothing special. Definitely an improvement over Scalabrine though as the customary roster token.

I hope Sims beasts in training camp and steals the spot away from him

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Harangody is trash... waste of a signing, but we all knew it was coming. Career D-Leaguer maybe a 10th player on the bench nothing special. Definitely an improvement over Scalabrine though as the customary roster token.

I'm guessing his sister dumped you a couple years ago?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 06:21:41 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Do you think that we are going to be able to sign 15 starters to play for us?! Don't you think that we need role players? Bench guys? What do you think BBD is? He's a career bench player. At best a team is going to have 7-8 "starter caliber" players. Then a handful of career bench guys. Then a couple of "upside" guys. Harangody has upside. He could move into that productive career bench mode very easily. He even has a chance of being a borderline starter. He did put up some huge numbers in a tough conference. He came into the summer league and put up great stats against some good competition. To say the guy has no upside is pretty ridiculous.

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

He only has himself to blame for his summer league play.  Harangody took over games. Gaffney didn't make the  most of this opportunity.  He should have been running the show on offense, out-rebounding his team-mates, while knocking people down on defense.  Sounds impossible, but that's what he needed to show he could do.  Hitting a few more shots wouldn't have hurt either.   

Gaffney hadn't played in real games for how long?  I think the guy has to overperform in camp to hang on to this team, but I'd take him in a minute over Lafayette and it'll be interesting to see how camp goes.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »

Offline kofanis0880

• Oshae Brissett
Nope, no sister, just don't like him. Very good against shorter and smaller college bball players but the NBA is a different animal. There is no way he can guard NBA 3's or 4's. They are too big/quick/tall for him. He looked great in the summer league because these were the same players he faced in college and played well against.

Do you honestly think he can guard guys like Gerald Wallace or Jeff Green or stay in front of Hakim Warrick or Tyrus Thomas. They are just going to run and jump around him. He is a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty version of Tyler Hansbrough (who I think can be a solid rotational player).

If you couldn't tell I never liked Scal either.

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Nope, no sister, just don't like him. Very good against shorter and smaller college bball players but the NBA is a different animal. There is no way he can guard NBA 3's or 4's. They are too big/quick/tall for him. He looked great in the summer league because these were the same players he faced in college and played well against.

Do you honestly think he can guard guys like Gerald Wallace or Jeff Green or stay in front of Hakim Warrick or Tyrus Thomas. They are just going to run and jump around him. He is a ****ty version of Tyler Hansbrough (who I think can be a solid rotational player).

If you couldn't tell I never liked Scal either.
other side of arguement is Harangody can give match up problems to pf or small sf.  Davis looks good offensively because of his outside shot, Harangody has more range.  If he can be close to tweener ryan gomes I'm happy with the pick.
If we do no other moves Gaffney in terms of posistion should be on team.  SF right now, Pierce, Daniels then Harangody.  I like Daniels and hope he returns to his first half season form from last year but we need more than 2 guys for that posistion and NO I don't want Ray Allen there.  Again its only if we don't add another sf
of course i live near umass  :D

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 06:42:13 PM »

Offline kofanis0880

• Oshae Brissett

Do you think that we are going to be able to sign 15 starters to play for us?! Don't you think that we need role players? Bench guys? What do you think BBD is? He's a career bench player. At best a team is going to have 7-8 "starter caliber" players. Then a handful of career bench guys. Then a couple of "upside" guys. Harangody has upside. He could move into that productive career bench mode very easily. He even has a chance of being a borderline starter. He did put up some huge numbers in a tough conference. He came into the summer league and put up great stats against some good competition. To say the guy has no upside is pretty ridiculous.

When did i ever say we were gonna sign 15 starters. I'm not one of those idiots trying to trade for Caron Butler or JR Smith to be the solution to our back up wing hole. Harangody does not have upside. If he did he would have been drafted a lot earlier given his college resume. The whole entire draft is based on upside and potential. His best case scenario is a below average Austin Croshere. I would give 50-1 odds that and put up a significant amount of money that Harangody will never be a "borderline starter"

Harangody was great in college and was also the very good in summer league however, this does not in anyway transfer to the NBA. Would it not make sense that he would put up very good numbers against the same players he was beating up on during his 4 years at ND??? The summer league means almost nothing. During training camp means a lot more than summer camp.