Author Topic: Celtics sign Harangody  (Read 12012 times)

Celtics sign Harangody
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:15:16 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68620/20100810/celtics_sign_harangody/

No details as of yet.

Including Sheed, that brings the roster to 17, I believe, although that also includes Gaffney and Lafayette. The writing may be on the wall for them.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:31:59 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Celtics sign Harangody
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I have forgotten what the deal is with the Red Claws...is the Celtics team limited to 13 + two on the Claws?  Or is it 15 for the main team + 2 for the Claws?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I have forgotten what the deal is with the Red Claws...is the Celtics team limited to 13 + two on the Claws?  Or is it 15 for the main team + 2 for the Claws?

Celtics can field a roster max of 15, and that includes any players they've sent to the NBDL.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 12:48:32 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
As expected.  The guy can score and has a high BBIQ.  Perfect bench player who probably won't get consistent minutes until next year.  I suspect he'll be in D league for awhile. 

Good pick. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
That should officially be the end of Scal here. Sad to see him go, however Harangody should be able to provide most of what Scal did with a lot more upside and lower paycheck. Good luck to both of them. I think Harangody has the skills to push BBD out of town if he commits himself. He has a "legitimate" outside shot, is a lot better rebounder already, and has the bulk and strength to do what BBD does down low. If he can provide the energy off the bench and play hard he could be on that bench for years to come.

Cut Gaffney immediately. The guy has no game. Lafayette I keep if I can't add an upgrade defensively at the 3.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Cut Gaffney immediately. The guy has no game. Lafayette I keep if I can't add an upgrade defensively at the 3.

Laffayette is a dime a dozen D-league combo-guard.  Both of those guys are going to be cut IMO.  The C's have 15 men now (including Sheed), with the bottom of the roster filled with Luke, Wafer, and Semi. 

I have a feeling that if they do not open up another roster spot, and they bring in another vet minimum wing, then the competition for the 15th spot will be between Semi and Wafer.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 01:31:39 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68620/20100810/celtics_sign_harangody/

No details as of yet.

Including Sheed, that brings the roster to 17, I believe, although that also includes Gaffney and Lafayette. The writing may be on the wall for them.

Ainge always did like competition in camp...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Good. The kid can play.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 01:37:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Laffayette is a dime a dozen D-league combo-guard.  Both of those guys are going to be cut IMO.  The C's have 15 men now (including Sheed), with the bottom of the roster filled with Luke, Wafer, and Semi. 

I have a feeling that if they do not open up another roster spot, and they bring in another vet minimum wing, then the competition for the 15th spot will be between Semi and Wafer.

I agree that neither Lafayette nor Gaffney has much of a chance to stay on the roster.

Given their non-guaranteed contracts, I'd hope that Ainge could package them to get another player from a team looking to pare a little salary off the books.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Are Wafer and Semi's contracts guaranteed?  If so, they're making the roster unless there's deal for Sheed's contract that brings back two players.  With Bradley and Harangody on board, Ainge will either deal Sheed for player or just let him retire and keep the open spot and see who's available as the season goes along.

Mike

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 02:32:05 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Celtics can field a roster max of 15, and that includes any players they've sent to the NBDL.

OK, this is a bit off topic, but this makes me realize that I would love to see the NBA modify the roster rules to incorporate D-League players.  Keep the 15 man rosters, but allow teams to have 2 extra spots solely for D-League players, with the caveat that the 16th and 17th man cannot be called up to the main roster that season unless a roster spot opens due to trade/release.  Basically, you can't flip flop the 15th and 16th.

A player who starts the season on the 15 man roster AND is D-League eligible could be sent down/called up at any time, but still takes up a roster spot.

Similar to drafting international players, it would allow a team to maintain the rights to a player without sacrificing a roster spot.  Wouldn't mind having Gaffney and Lafayette spend a year in the D-League, learn the C's system some more, then potentially be on the roster next year when there's some room for them.

Harangody can probably contribute right now, but I'd hate to see them have to cut two other prospects loose.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Lol.  Lucky 17 is right about Lafayette.  You want to keep a dime a dozen combo guard and cut Gaffney, a guy who could possibly be a defensive upgrade at the 3 that you're asking for...

Gaffney is a hard worker, he hustles, he is long, he boards, and he loves to defend.  Idk if there will be room for him but if there is there is no better kind of guy to have at the end of your bench.  He has potential.

I mean I'm a UMass guy so I've watched him play and have a soft spot for him, but he is so much more promising than Lafayette, and he fits in with the defensive mindset of the team.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 02:45:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

OK, this is a bit off topic, but this makes me realize that I would love to see the NBA modify the roster rules to incorporate D-League players.  Keep the 15 man rosters, but allow teams to have 2 extra spots solely for D-League players, with the caveat that the 16th and 17th man cannot be called up to the main roster that season unless a roster spot opens due to trade/release.  Basically, you can't flip flop the 15th and 16th.

A player who starts the season on the 15 man roster AND is D-League eligible could be sent down/called up at any time, but still takes up a roster spot.

Similar to drafting international players, it would allow a team to maintain the rights to a player without sacrificing a roster spot.  Wouldn't mind having Gaffney and Lafayette spend a year in the D-League, learn the C's system some more, then potentially be on the roster next year when there's some room for them.

Harangody can probably contribute right now, but I'd hate to see them have to cut two other prospects loose.

Well, there are two problems.  First, owners then would have to be paying NBA salaries to guys who have little to no chance to play in the NBA.  The owners won't agree to that.

And, if you do not put those players on NBA salaries, the players association will shoot it down, because it blocks them from making it to the NBA, and therefore getting paid. 

Currently, players not on the 15 man roster can be called up by any team.  But this rule would lock those players in to one team, and the rules would make it very tough for them to get a call-up.

I agree that they should do some tweaking with the D-league to make it more of a true minorleague system, but I don't think this is the solution.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Lol.  Lucky 17 is right about Lafayette.  You want to keep a dime a dozen combo guard and cut Gaffney, a guy who could possibly be a defensive upgrade at the 3 that you're asking for...

Gaffney is a hard worker, he hustles, he is long, he boards, and he loves to defend.  Idk if there will be room for him but if there is there is no better kind of guy to have at the end of your bench.  He has potential.

I mean I'm a UMass guy so I've watched him play and have a soft spot for him, but he is so much more promising than Lafayette, and he fits in with the defensive mindset of the team.

Gaffney is nowhere close to being an NBA player.  He may have some skills defensively, but he makes Tony Allen look like Michael Jordan on offense. 

I think he could find a spot in the league in a few years, but he is nowhere close right now.

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
In the words of Shaq.... "Who Dat?"