Author Topic: Do not sign Pierce; Blow it up!  (Read 11537 times)

Do not sign Pierce; Blow it up!
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:02:45 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
First of all, why are we trying to sign Pierce? He is a fringe all-star in decline. Iguodala is probably available for a future second, ditto Deng. Salmons offers similar output at 1/3 the price.

Our next moves, in order, should be:
1) Move Garnett
2) Grab a fringe all-star wing with our cap room
3) Backfill low risk / high reward guys

Ideally, we could swap Garnett for Ellis & Biedrins. Does it take a future first? Baby? Not a big deal.

That would leave us about $15 million in cap room after roster holds to fill out the starting frontcourt.

Iggy or Deng would cost us $10 million, while Salmons would cost us around $6.5 - this move depends on what you think we need at power forward. If you think we can grab Beasley in a salary dump, you go with Iggy or Deng. If you do not, you have to take Salmons (The #2 option on a surging playoff team last season) and go after David Lee at arond $9m to start.

Where does that leave us?

Rondo
Ellis
Igguodala
Beasley
Biedrins

Bradley
Davis
Perkins

Probably a first round playoff team in 2010-11. That starting unit has the potential to dominate on defense, and with Rondo leading a unit that fast, you can expect a lot of fast break basketball.

Suround them with solid Mid-level and Bi-annual exception guys in 2011-12 and this team could make a lot of noise.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: Do not sign Pierce; Blow it up!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think you're vastly under estimating what it would take to get Deng/Iggy/Ellis.

Teams aren't going to just give them up.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:15:35 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
First of all, why are we trying to sign Pierce? He is a fringe all-star in decline. Iguodala is probably available for a future second, ditto Deng. Salmons offers similar output at 1/3 the price.

1) Move Garnett

Ideally, we could swap Garnett for Ellis & Biedrins. Does it take a future first? Baby? Not a big deal.

That would leave us about $15 million in cap room after roster holds to fill out the starting frontcourt.

Iggy or Deng would cost us $10 million, while Salmons would cost us around $6.5 - this move depends on what you think we need at power forward. If you think we can grab Beasley in a salary dump, you go with Iggy or Deng. If you do not, you have to take Salmons (The #2 option on a surging playoff team last season) and go after David Lee at arond $9m to start.

Rondo
Ellis
Igguodala
Beasley
Biedrins

Bradley
Davis
Perkins

Probably a first round playoff team in 2010-11. That starting unit has the potential to dominate on defense, and with Rondo leading a unit that fast, you can expect a lot of fast break basketball.

Suround them with solid Mid-level and Bi-annual exception guys in 2011-12 and this team could make a lot of noise.

You obviously took some time putting this together, albiet a tad late.

None of those players execept AI and Rondo of course have displayed any defensive skills.  Beasely has done nothing and Miami wants him out of there ASAP.  He looks high every time he plays and appears not to give a squat.  Add him and Biendrins to the list of Boston fan favorites with limited talent.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:29:33 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
I think you're vastly under estimating what it would take to get Deng/Iggy/Ellis.

If Chicago dumps Deng, they end up with $44 million in cap space and become the clear front runner for James and Bosh. With that kind of cap, their existing roster, they could end up looking starting Rose - Salmons - James - Bosh - Noah. Deng for a Dynasty is a good trade.

You might be right on Iggy.

Regarding Ellis, weren't they just offering their pick if someone would take him? They pay biedrins $9m to play 20 minutes a night. The cost of Ellis is Biedrins.

"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here's the thing about rebuilding:  a wildly, above-all-expectations rebuilding effort puts your team back in the NBA finals.  The average rebuilding, on the other team, has you missing the playoffs / earning a low playoff seed, while you struggle with mediocrity.

Why are so many in such a rush to begin that process?  Right now, we're at the level that we'd want to be after we rebuild.  Let's maximize that for a few more years.

This team was 6 minutes away from a title, despite losing their starting center.  I'd like to see what it can do next season, especially with the Eastern Conference in flux.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 10:31:50 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

1) Move Garnett

Rondo
Ellis
Igguodala
Beasley
Biedrins

Bradley
Davis
Perkins

nice try MA...but evidently danny didn't read this thread in time.  ;)

but a tp for the work and thought that went into this one.

unless of course you were working some sort of reverse curse and by posting this you made the pierce deal happen!!!

if that is the case, then PLEASE immediately post a thread about how signing ray allen is a terrible idea, along with an argument against having lee and morrow and miller come in as FAs.

the celtics can use all the help you can give them.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If Chicago dumps Deng, they end up with $44 million in cap space and become the clear front runner for James and Bosh. With that kind of cap, their existing roster, they could end up looking starting Rose - Salmons - James - Bosh - Noah. Deng for a Dynasty is a good trade.

You might be right on Iggy.

Regarding Ellis, weren't they just offering their pick if someone would take him? They pay biedrins $9m to play 20 minutes a night. The cost of Ellis is Biedrins.

Pretty sure Salmons is in Milwaukee. And I think Chicago would trade Deng for a player or two, not cap space. Also, a Beidrins/Beasley frontcourt would be really mediocre, and we'd have no depth. I'd rather try and win a title than try for the 7th seed in the east next year.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
A team without any balance. All fast break player, but none can shoot. That would be entertaining show to see who'll miss more. I got Igguodala.

Realistically Celtics have zero chance getting one of those players. Remember Garnett has 2 years remaining avg $20mil.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 10:43:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No interest in the team above but I agree on not signing Pierce and beginning rebuilding now.

I am growing increasingly uncomfortable with the long term cost of keeping this core together. With Pierce getting a four year deal.

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:45:42 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Here's the thing about rebuilding:  a wildly, above-all-expectations rebuilding effort puts your team back in the NBA finals.  The average rebuilding, on the other team, has you missing the playoffs / earning a low playoff seed, while you struggle with mediocrity.

Why are so many in such a rush to begin that process?  Right now, we're at the level that we'd want to be after we rebuild.  Let's maximize that for a few more years.

This team was 6 minutes away from a title, despite losing their starting center.  I'd like to see what it can do next season, especially with the Eastern Conference in flux.
People seem to underestimate how hard it is to put together an excelling team. To put together a team that has three players of the caliber of Garnett, Pierce, and Allen, that's a one in a lifetime opportunity. You don't break this up until you're squeezed every last bit of it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
How can the Celtics maximize it for a few more years when their players are all getting really old.  Pierce's game will not translate well to being older - he can barely get separation to take his step back shots as it is.

The real risk here is that, by the time the Celtics can afford to actually rebuild, Rondo will be alienated and leave.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 11:32:50 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
How can the Celtics maximize it for a few more years when their players are all getting really old.  Pierce's game will not translate well to being older - he can barely get separation to take his step back shots as it is.

The real risk here is that, by the time the Celtics can afford to actually rebuild, Rondo will be alienated and leave.

I think that championships are such a rarity in the NBA that you maximize your chances at them when you have a chance.  Because of that, I'm not all that worried about three years from now.  All teams go through down times, and 2013 - 2014 might be ours.  I'm willing to sacrifice those years to compete now.

I mean, how many rebuilding teams ever sniff a championship?  Would you rather be in our situation, or New Orleans'?  Philly's?  The Clippers'?

We tried the rebuilding thing for pretty much two decades.  It sucked.  The only success we've had was when Danny totally reversed course and built around veterans.  I think a championship and another Finals run is all the proof we need that veterans > rebuilding.

Once the "big three" era is over, our team is going to stink, period.  Guys like Monta Ellis, Andre Iguodala, or Kevin Martin aren't going to change that any.  That being the case, why not maximize what we have now?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 11:37:04 AM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7

Seriously people.  How are you coming to these conclusions?
I will say it again.....this was the most effecient offensive year of Pierce's career!  THE MOST EFFECIENT.  That's some feat for a guy who has lost a step and can no longer get separation.   ::)

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Seriously people.  How are you coming to these conclusions?
I will say it again.....this was the most effecient offensive year of Pierce's career!  THE MOST EFFECIENT.  That's some feat for a guy who has lost a step and can no longer get separation.   ::)

He doesn't dunk enough.  His last 3 years have been basically mirror images of each other.  All 3 the most efficient of his career. 

And FYI to the OP just the opposite with regards to Pauls below the rim game as far as how well he'll do as he gets older.  If he relied on athleticism to score you would have a point.  He doesn't so he'll continue to use his footwork and craftiness to get it done. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 01:00:31 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
A team without any balance. All fast break player, but none can shoot. That would be entertaining show to see who'll miss more. I got Igguodala.

Realistically Celtics have zero chance getting one of those players. Remember Garnett has 2 years remaining avg $20mil.

Ellis shot 34% from 3 and 75% from the stripe, Iggy shot 31% / 73%and Beasley shot 28% / 80%.

Not earth shattering, but what one thing did they have in common?

No pointguard.

Let Rondo feed them and watch the numbers grow. Think Marrion with Nash or Jefferson with Kidd.