Author Topic: Bill Walker is gonna get some mins  (Read 11963 times)

Re: Bill Walker is gonna get some mins
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 01:36:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
But if he gets 5 or 6 it's 5 or 6 he wouldn't have got if Leon hadn't gone down.
I doubt he gets even 5 or 6 unless its garbage end of quarter 30 seconds time.

Doc will put Tony in before Walker unless he has to play Pierce at center again....

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 02:45:06 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Doc needs to tell Bill to play tough d, block some shots, and play above the rim if you have an open jumper take it and thats what your gonna get from him

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The only way I see Bill Walker seeing the floor is if there is foul trouble with the big men...and even then, I am not sure.
If he does we're in big trouble. I was in Chicago for the regular season game on March 17th. He gave up 6 cheap free throws and a lay-up that I could easily see to the Bulls. In a close game you can't give away points.

To be fair, you could say the same thing about Mikki.  And at least Walker knows how to box out, and keep to his man in front of him.
Some games yes you can. However in this particular sequence Walker came in and gave up three fouls very quickly in the first half. He did better in the second half but the 6 free throws helped the Bulls a lot, and obviously it was such a close game that they mattered.

I am thinking of the same game, where Moore fouled out, and played matador defense the entire game.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Doc needs to tell Bill to play tough d, block some shots, and play above the rim if you have an open jumper take it and thats what your gonna get from him
Sadly that is not the case. Tough D to me means you don't use all 6 fouls in your short minutes giving the opponents free points at the line.

Walker has the aggressiveness and altheticism to be a good NBA defender, but he is not there yet.

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The only way I see Bill Walker seeing the floor is if there is foul trouble with the big men...and even then, I am not sure.
If he does we're in big trouble. I was in Chicago for the regular season game on March 17th. He gave up 6 cheap free throws and a lay-up that I could easily see to the Bulls. In a close game you can't give away points.

To be fair, you could say the same thing about Mikki.  And at least Walker knows how to box out, and keep to his man in front of him.
Some games yes you can. However in this particular sequence Walker came in and gave up three fouls very quickly in the first half. He did better in the second half but the 6 free throws helped the Bulls a lot, and obviously it was such a close game that they mattered.

I am thinking of the same game, where Moore fouled out, and played matador defense the entire game.
Walker got 4 fouls in half of Moore's minutes. Moore also got a lot more rebounds and though his D left a lot to be desired contributed more than Walker. Walker had a negative +/- largely because he gave up so many stupid fouls.

Saying Walker boxes out and Moore doesn't is nice. But neither is a consistent rebounder at this point. I love Walker's hustle but he isn't ready to provide positive minutes for a playoff team. Moore at least has a chance of helping and is a legit big man.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
But if he gets 5 or 6 it's 5 or 6 he wouldn't have got if Leon hadn't gone down.

yea... and?

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 06:06:01 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Only if there's a blowout.

Walker should have gone to Europe.

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

You really think he would have learned more there than in the D-League games, regular season games, and 5 on 5 Celtics practices?  I don't.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 07:39:40 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
he will get at least 15 minutes..after he does what people say he cant do...doc will let him play

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 07:54:20 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
he will get at least 15 minutes..after he does what people say he cant do...doc will let him play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghofGBapVik

Always overlooked but KNOWS that he's good enough to be here, and upset about being overlooked. He's looking to prove that.

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 07:54:32 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

You really think he would have learned more there than in the D-League games, regular season games, and 5 on 5 Celtics practices?  I don't.

Absolutely. Especially considering what he needs to learn.

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Given that cutting down on fouls is one of his top priorities and that fouls are called differently in Europe, I disagree.  I think he needs experience with this team, in this league, with these rules and our playstyle, in order to grow as a player.  I don't really think Europe helps him as much.

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

i agree, he's learning our system and how he fits in it. plus at the end of the season he was playing a decent amount of minutes. too bad we couldn't send Pruitt back down.

but JR is getting more out of being in d-league becuase he wouldn't be playing at all. (hell he could end up being the D-League Finals MVP if it exists)

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 08:33:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't see Walker getting any run in these playoffs even with all the injuries.  If he wasn't getting any meaningful minutes in the regular season, things aren't going to change now. 

I think next season you'll see the kid out there but any hopes for these playoffs is wishful thinking.

Drastic measures such as more injuries, severe foul trouble, or a blowout situation are the only instances I can see him getting any action this spring.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Given that cutting down on fouls is one of his top priorities and that fouls are called differently in Europe, I disagree.  I think he needs experience with this team, in this league, with these rules and our playstyle, in order to grow as a player.  I don't really think Europe helps him any.

The reason why he fouls so much is because he lacks defensive fundamentals. Before the season I wrote an extensive post on the flaws I saw in his game in college and defended going to Europe was the right move for him (and the Celtics organization agreed with me, as that was the original plan): http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=20611.0  

Of course now Walker has improved his game; but IMO he would have improved much more if he had gone to Europe, with much more time to practice and competing at a much higher level than the D-League - and in a system that emphasis the kind of skills Walker needs to work on, I think.

I remember I was pretty isolated on my stance that Walker was very far from being NBA ready as the general consensus was that he'd be ready to contribute right away or somewhere during the season, but from my perspective the season proved me right.