Author Topic: Garnett's Head Games: childish tantrum or intentional vet move?  (Read 12195 times)

Re: Garnett's Head Games: childish tantrum or intentional vet move?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 01:27:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We had a thread yesterday about CP3 being a whining baby.  KG can be a bigger version of CP3 at times.

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »

Offline idrinkdetergent

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
Theres a difference between whining and playing head games. Getting in another players face is head games, getting upset with refs and bugging them constantly is whining.
"Sam Cassell was heckling on the sideline when I walked down, He looked at me and was like, ‘You're getting the ball, I know you're getting the ball!'
said Allen.

And did Cassell, a man of many words, have anything to say after that?

"No, I told him he needed to wear a tie."

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 01:43:25 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Last night it was a childish tantrum... and I get a chuckle over people trying somehow to still contribute last nights win to KG when it had nothing to do with him...after that altercation he was  much  more invisible than dirk , as matter of fact he was completely invisible and the offense was pass to pierce and pray and KG couldnt even guard dirk on the defensive end

And I always hate when people whine about KG picking on weak players he knows wont retaliate, but its actually true, he knows he can act like a total prick like that to dirk, and dirk wont do a thing....I love KG, but he disrespected dirk last night because he was mad at getting scored on, and for a minute there I was worried about what he was going to do

Whatever it was, it got the desired results. I think there is alot to what others are saying. And there are plenty of examples listed and wins to prove it. If other plaers don't like it then they should not let it affect them so easily because KG will keep doing it. It works.

The fact is KG picked up a stupid foul and technichal for nonense, and had to sit on the bench for most of the 4th and didnt contribute anything to speak of once he did come back in...whatever the confrontation with dirk was about, it affected him just as much it did Dirk, the celtics are just lucky Paul Pierce did what he did, especially the Score/take an offensive foul/score and lucky dirk just missed shots over a much smaller defender, because KG could no nothing to stop dirk last night, he was clearly trying to play lockdown defense, and dirk scored on him at will, proceeded by a KG tantrum.

If the team rallied around anything it was Docs ejection, but I think they were working themselves back and wanted to win regardless of a pointless tantrum
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 01:45:08 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
Last night it was a childish tantrum... and I get a chuckle over people trying somehow to still contribute last nights win to KG when it had nothing to do with him...after that altercation he was  much  more invisible than dirk , as matter of fact he was completely invisible and the offense was pass to pierce and pray and KG couldnt even guard dirk on the defensive end

And I always hate when people whine about KG picking on weak players he knows wont retaliate, but its actually true, he knows he can act like a total prick like that to dirk, and dirk wont do a thing....I love KG, but he disrespected dirk last night because he was mad at getting scored on, and for a minute there I was worried about what he was going to do

Whatever it was, it got the desired results. I think there is alot to what others are saying. And there are plenty of examples listed and wins to prove it. If other plaers don't like it then they should not let it affect them so easily because KG will keep doing it. It works.

The fact is KG picked up a stupid foul and technichal for nonense, and had to sit on the bench for most of the 4th and didnt contribute anything to speak of once he did come back in...whatever the confrontation with dirk was about, it affected him just as much it did Dirk, the celtics are just lucky Paul Pierce did what he did, especially the Score/take an offensive foul/score and lucky dirk just missed shots over a much smaller defender, because KG could no nothing to stop dirk last night, he was clearly trying to play lockdown defense, and dirk scored on him two times in a row, proceeded by a KG tantrum

Ok, you have the right to your opinion but I don't take everything at face value. Esp. with evidence of it happening before and the same results leafing to the Celtics win. Plenty of evidence to show he is playing head games as well.

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 01:46:49 PM »

• Don Chaney

The fact is KG picked up a stupid foul and technichal for nonense, and had to sit on the bench for most of the 4th and didnt contribute anything to speak of once he did come back in...whatever the confrontation with dirk was about, it affected him just as much it did Dirk, the celtics are just lucky Paul Pierce did what he did, especially the Score/take an offensive foul/score and lucky dirk just missed shots over a much smaller defender, because KG could no nothing to stop dirk last night, he was clearly trying to play lockdown defense, and dirk scored on him two times in a row, proceeded by a KG tantrum

Ok, you have the right to your opinion but I don't take everything at face value. Esp. with evidence of it happening before.

So what are you saying? dirk fell apart because KG got in his face because of scoring on him? actually dirk was pretty aggressive after that, while KG was on the bench doing nothing- he just missed shots!
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 01:54:19 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton

Ok, you have the right to your opinion but I don't take everything at face value. Esp. with evidence of it happening before.

So what are you saying? dirk fell apart because KG got in his face because of scoring on him? actually dirk was pretty aggressive after that, while KG was on the bench doing nothing- he just missed shots!

Interesting but before that he was making his shots wasn't he? I think it rattled him a bit. I'm not saying it is the only thing that made Dirk miss shots but getting a player out of his comfort zone even a little helps. KG has doen this more then once and it gets the team fired up. The team needed to wake up and KG in his own way gets it done. KGs emotional energy is part of what makes this team run so well.

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 02:04:33 PM »

• Don Chaney

Interesting but before that he was making his shots wasn't he? I think it rattled him a bit. I'm not saying it is the only thing that made Dirk miss shots but getting a player out of his comfort zone even a little helps. KG has doen this more then once and it gets the team fired up. The team needed to wake up and KG in his own way gets it done. KGs emotional energy is part of what makes this team run so well.

KG did it because he was getting abused by dirk and he didnt like it...he lost his cool...I dont think it was planned whatsoever..and the team won because Pierces senational 4th quarter effort and rondos play throughout, didnt have much to do with KG

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
Fact is no one but KG can know exactly what was going on. All I know is when it happens it usually leads to a W. It obviously is not the only reason but it pumps the team up imo.

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 02:11:43 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
A few things.

It's not unlike Dirk to go completely cold in the fourth quarter.
It's a big reason that Dallas has trouble finishing games out.
So I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to KG, especially since he wasn't even on the floor when Dirk struggled.

Last night KG was dangerously close to being tossed. He just didn't know when to stop. In fact, I think if it had been anyone else on the C's he would have been. Remember Pierce being tossed at the Garden?  What KG was doing was three times as bad as what PP did. I'm not really complaining, I'm just saying that if KG really thought this all out ahead of time to fire up the team, I don't think he would have carried it as far as did.  He really seemed to me to be out of control.

This entire premise also suggests that PP needs someone else to fire him up in order to score big in the fourth quarter.  I think Pierce can fire himself up at any time he wants.  I've seen it many, many times.

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
In my opinion KG knew what he was doing and was trying to do 2 things.  One, he wanted to get in Dirk's head and two, he wanted to light a fire under his team.  Seems like he did both. 

He knows when to pick his spots for things like that.  Like has been said, he doesn't do it every game, only against certain players he knows he can rattle.  If he did it every game, it would tend to get old I think. 

TP for a well thought out post
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:15:21 PM by FLCeltsFan »

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
Fact is no one but KG can know exactly what was going on. All I know is when it happens it usually leads to a W. It obviously is not the only reason but it pumps the team up imo.

Just found this quote interesting because it sums up most people on that side of the argument.

But using that same logic I can say - whe KG doesnt step on the court the Celtics win a higher percentage of the time then with him. Is he hurting himself or on purpose to fire us up? Are they really better without him?

I wore red shirts 5 times this month and never got sick, red shirts must boost my immune system!

KG gets a ton of credit for things that can not be proven.
Last night he was getting eaten up and when he started his aggressive D he got scored on twice and went from 3 fouls to 5 and a tech? This was a plan? I wholeheartedly believe he wanted to get physical with Dirk to make him uncomfortable - no doubt. But did his plan als have him making two big hoops on him and putting him on the bench for 12 mins with 5 fouls? If he knew that he would force dirk to smoke him twice and that would lead to dirk going 0 for his next 7 that is some nostradomus type foresight. More likely, KG did his thing not to be a baby but b/c he is aggressive and thought ramping it up would benefit him and possibly his teams energy. And his teammates made him look very good.

You have to give leon more credit for the 0-7 then KG, leon actually played the defense and did a noticably better job of it then Kevin had all game. And as with the other three examples used earlier KG did x and PP went off.

Maybe PP goes off when he feels we are getting outplayed by inferior teams, as was the case in the examples mentioned and has happened numberous times for this team, even when KG did not go on an ultra aggressive defensive position. I think that is probably much more likely.

I think the actions were intentional and not "whining" just him doing what he thought was right, but giving him any real credit for the win and not rondo, pp and powe is insanity - especially when he never actually took the intesity and stopped Dirk or scored a hoop, or had a big block.

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
In my opinion KG knew what he was doing and was trying to do 2 things.  One, he wanted to get in Dirk's head and two, he wanted to light a fire under his team.  Seems like he did both. 

He knows when to pick his spots for things like that.  Like has been said, he doesn't do it every game, only against certain players he knows he can rattle.  If he did it every game, it would tend to get old I think. 
agreed,tp

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 02:47:25 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
A few things.

It's not unlike Dirk to go completely cold in the fourth quarter.
It's a big reason that Dallas has trouble finishing games out.
So I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to KG, especially since he wasn't even on the floor when Dirk struggled.

Last night KG was dangerously close to being tossed. He just didn't know when to stop. In fact, I think if it had been anyone else on the C's he would have been. Remember Pierce being tossed at the Garden?  What KG was doing was three times as bad as what PP did. I'm not really complaining, I'm just saying that if KG really thought this all out ahead of time to fire up the team, I don't think he would have carried it as far as did.  He really seemed to me to be out of control.

This entire premise also suggests that PP needs someone else to fire him up in order to score big in the fourth quarter.  I think Pierce can fire himself up at any time he wants.  I've seen it many, many times.

I also agree with your post,PP doesn't need anyone to set fire under him to score or play well.I think the other players were the target KG had in mind.Yes,i thought he was close to being tossed also,maybe a call from Sterns with a fine later too.tp

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
Bottom line. KG is on our team. If he was on another, then we should be having this argument. Fact is, every time he does this, usually because we're down, we end up on top. I wish he would do this more consistently, especially against Gasol.  

It was evident that Dirk was trying harder after the KG mind games. Yea, hello? He was trying TOO hard. Dirk started forcing things and just chucking up jumpers. So to me, that means KG got in his head even if just a little bit. And Im sure he was still barking from the sidelines. lol. KG and I have the same birthday and are Tauruses, thats how we do. I try to get in my friends heads whether its basketball, videogames, or poker. lol. thats how we operate