Author Topic: Why aren't the Celtics talking to.....?  (Read 13794 times)

Re: Why aren't the Celtics talking to.....?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2008, 08:19:27 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Matt Barnes is a heavy footed tweener.  He is not a plus defensive player and I feel like his overall value to the league is inflated by playing in Don Nelson's offense.  In most systems, his defense would become a little bit of an issue. 

I still hope Posey comes back.  I'm not as sold on Pietrus as some, though I do believe he has Posey type potential if he toughens up. 

Personally, if we lose out on Posey ... Pargo coupled with either Michael Finley OR Ruben Patterson (yes, I said it and expect to get skewered for it) makes a lot of sense.  I know Patterson is certifiable, but he is also the closest thing to Posey that we can get on a 1 year contract.  Finley offers a similar role type player as well if you are looking to be fiscally prudent.

Let's hope we can secure Maggette or Posey, so we don't have to have this discussion much longer :)

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Finley is 35 and looked done in SA this year. I'd pass. If we can't get Pietrus or Maggette or Posey, I'd say Quinton Ross.

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2008, 09:15:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Matt Barnes is a heavy footed tweener.  He is not a plus defensive player and I feel like his overall value to the league is inflated by playing in Don Nelson's offense.  In most systems, his defense would become a little bit of an issue.

I think his "heavy footed" problems are a bit overstated. So his value offensively being inflated by Don Nelson's offense, wouldn't you say that his value defensively is being deflated by the same?

I know he's not James Posey or a great defender... but he should be capable of playing solid defense, especially in a system like ours.

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2008, 09:39:50 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Howabout Kurt Thomas, I've brought his name up in a few other threads, but doesn't seem to get too much love? I think he's a perfect substitute for PJ Brown, he's shorter, but stronger.
Other than him, I'd like Francisco Elsom.
And if we really don't get Posey back, I think Najera would be a good fit.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2008, 10:04:34 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Howabout Kurt Thomas, I've brought his name up in a few other threads, but doesn't seem to get too much love? I think he's a perfect substitute for PJ Brown, he's shorter, but stronger.
Other than him, I'd like Francisco Elsom.
And if we really don't get Posey back, I think Najera would be a good fit.

I like Thomas and Elson too.

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 10:33:15 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

As billysan alluded to, a lot of those names are only palatable on a minimum contract.  There aren't a lot of difference makers on that list.  I'd be on board with Najera, but I don't see him as a Posey replacement.  He isn't a good enough man-to-man defender, and he struggles against both large power forwards and most small forwards.  He's also 31, so he's not a long-term option.

I agree with your criticism about Najera; however, my only general question to you is how much you think age matters given how old Allen, Pierce, and Garnett are?  Right now the C's need role players to fill in around the Big Three to win a couple more rings.  I don't think Ainge is planning on any role players hanging around once the Big Three ride off into the sunset. 

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2008, 11:07:37 PM »

Offline celticswillwin43

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 80
1. Eduardo Najera-- Best Posey replacement out there.

2. Francisco Elson, DJ Mbenga, Earl Barron and Primoz Brezec.  Four perfectly adequate, inexpensive backup centers.  Barron playeed very well for the Heat when given the opportunity, and he would be my first choice.  All of these guys are way better than Randolph Morris.

3. Damon Stoudamire, Jannero Pargo, Kevin Ollie and Sebastian Telfair.  All would be adequate backup point guards.

4.Salim Stoudamire and Juan Dixon.  House replacements if they can't resign Eddie.

I would also consider Bostjan Nachbar-- can flat out shoot.

Now it may be that Danny knows that none of these guys would be interested in the Celtics or are asking for too much money, but I have not seen anything reported that would take these guys off my list.

Eduardo Najera is not even close to a Posey. I really don't think he is good enough to play in the NBA.
Guys in your list I'm interested in and that I think are worth paying double for would be Elson, who is a vet center who came off the bench for a championship team already. Brezec and Barron are basically NBA junk IMO, I do think Brezec will find a host though.

I wouldn't mind bringing back bassy and have him run backup just because  hes still young and has a lot of potential. Kevin Olley would be a great addition to our team, hes a wiley vet with a outstanding assist to turnover ratio. Juan Dixon would be great off the bench aswell

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2008, 11:09:19 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
If San Antonio gets Maggette and Posey doesn't come off his 5 year demand, I actually like the idea of pursuing Kurt Thomas as a short term alternative.   We then will have to look at other SF/SG options, but that atleast seems viable.

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 04:25:39 AM »

Offline CelticsFan12345

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
because we don't deserve to have NBA nobodies on this team, i mean last year that would've been fine, but this year and from now on, it's looking like we'll be one of the premier teams, and currently we are (we have the 2008 RINGS!!!) like u didn't know right? haha lol but yeah we don't need no STINKING Telfair (btw wow what a bust he was, so much hype coming out of lincoln hs in NY) yet, he hasn't shown any potential since he was drafted, i don't like any ideas out there except for RE-SIGNING Posey

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2008, 07:35:17 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I thought Walter Hermann was a restricted free agent.  I did not include any RFAs, and if I had, I would have put Delonte West at the top of my list. I would also be looking to sign and trade for West, offering Scalabrine and something else.  If I could get West in a 3 year deal starting at around 3-3.5 million I would be happy, and I think that West would take that.

But if Hermann is unrestricted, he's certainly a possibility.  Smart player who can shoot.  Defense is another story, but at least he'll rotate properly.

Kurt Thomas is PJ Brown redux.  I think Powe and Davis are good enough to hold down the fort at pf.  What the Celtics need is the versatility to play sf or pf and the ability to guard on the perimeter that Posey brought.

I guess what perplexes me most about what Ainge is doing is at the center position.  Why is he working out trash when far better free agent options are available?

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I guess what perplexes me most about what Ainge is doing is at the center position.  Why is he working out trash when far better free agent options are available?

I think it's tough figuring out what we're doing at center until we get the Posey / Maggette situation figured out.  Assuming one of those two (or another wing player) eats into the MLE, there's not a lot left over for a center.  Also, of the centers worthy of consideration, Diop signed in Dallas and Kurt Thomas is rumored to have a deal to remain in San Antonio (although, again, that's a rumor).

I think we're signing Chris Andersen.  I can't argue with that, if it's a minimum contract / LLE deal.  He should be capable of playing backup minutes, although I still think you need a third center in case he doesn't come through.

As for why Ainge worked out stiffs like O'Bryant and Morris, here's a quote from yesterday's paper:

Ainge said he'll talk to the coaching staff about who did well [at minicamp], then keep an eye on how players perform in the summer leagues before sifting through the possibilities for training camp. But for the most part, what happens in Vegas this month will stay in Vegas.

"A lot of the players have opportunities and a lot of the players will go on now and play summer leagues with other teams," Ainge said. "So this evaluation for the players that are here will just continue throughout the summer and we'll just see what our needs are after free agency and we'll continue to evaluate these guys."

As Ainge said, "after free agency".  I don't think Ainge is targeting any of the guys invited to our camp as anything more than potential bottom of the roster filler.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 12:21:59 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Alright I have read through enough of this post and I'm starting to realize that it's become an "Najera vs Posey" thread so I'm gonna go back to the drawing board.  Most of the players that I will mention have not been talked about greatly here.

note- I'm getting my info from espn's 2008 free agent board and I have noticed some signings that aren't noted there so please correct me if there's any mistakes.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

1. Guards-

Carlos Arroyo- I seem to remember him playing really well for Puerto Rico a few summers ago.  Def a good back up IMO

Brent Barry- more of a combo than a true point, but very versatile, Ainge liked him before and he can bang the three

Anthony Carter- a true vet, point that can distribute and gets many steals.  He may be a steal for us $ wise

Earl Boykins- I'll probably get crapped on for this one, but I just love watching him play and he's a good guy

2. Wings- I won't even go there because we all know that we've got too many of them so instead I'll say this is the PRP section (possible replacement for Posey) which has been much of the content of this thread

BONZI- why is nobody talking about him?  Yes he looks like a smaller, fatter PP so it might get confusing, but he plays great D, is a good option for a serviceable sixth man and he would command less $

3. Big men-

Theo- he played pretty well for det in the playoffs, esp against us.  Some might not want to see his face around after playing all but 3 games for us, but his defense is still good and he can rebound.  Might come cheap if Detroit doesn't cater to him

Adonal Foyle- I think we had a chance at landing him last year, but he chose warm weather.  Maybe he would like a ring better?

Jamal Magloire- don't know what people think about him, but he could at least be serviceable

Scott Pollard- sorry I just wanted to put a smile on peoples faces ;D

so that's who I would be talking to if I were in Danny's shoes.

Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2008, 12:25:43 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Andre Miller ...Buyout??? Ring???mid season???
Kurt Thomas
Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Andre Miller ...Buyout??? Ring???mid season???
Kurt Thomas
Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo

Think Miller's too good to be a back up, but that sure would be nice.  He and Pierce are good friends. 
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2008, 12:39:48 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
1. No to Anthony Carter he is not good at running a team he had Sam Cassell syndrome last year (worst one on the floor but still thought he should shoot a lot)
I love Boykins too I think he's wildly underrated, he would be a House like scoring spark off the bench, can really get under the skin of the other teams point gaurds. But once the ball gets to the post on him it's over.
Barry and Arroyo are both good and whoever we could get for cheap would be great.

2. If we could get Wells to come into camp in shape he would be a good addition. I think Pietrus and Barnes would be great additions. I won't be surprised if Giddens actually helps us out this year.

3. Foyle, Magloire, are good options. I also like Harrison, Birdman and Stromile Swift (he's a free agent right)?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19