Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 273545 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #735 on: January 19, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »

Offline THREE_B

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 12
Long Trail has new new IPA out call Limbo...pretty, pretty, pretty good!

If you ever find it, Hoptimus Prime by Legacy Brewing Co. is still my favorite...out of PA I believe, but have found it in a few places in MA.

« Reply #736 on: January 28, 2015, 09:39:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Dear Lord, you are a wonderful chick. Thank you for giving me Guinness. One of your most underrated blessings.

« Reply #737 on: January 28, 2015, 11:09:33 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm honestly surprised that there haven't been more posts in this thread to this point in the year, given how well this season has played out (which is what I expected, but still, lol. ;D).

« Reply #738 on: January 28, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Dear Lord, you are a wonderful chick. Thank you for giving me Guinness. One of your most underrated blessings.
guinness is ok, but you gotta move up the beer ladder. start with sam smith winter welcome...at room temperature of course.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #739 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:38 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I'm honestly surprised that there haven't been more posts in this thread to this point in the year, given how well this season has played out (which is what I expected, but still, lol. ;D).
given the way the season is playing out i am not surprised that everyone is drinking too much to post here.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #740 on: January 28, 2015, 11:56:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Blue moon with a shot of OJ. You can't beat it.

« Reply #741 on: January 31, 2015, 04:29:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/19-types-of-beer-snobs-beer-enthusiasts

A little bummed that I didn't buy more of Sierra Nevada's winter mixer 12 packs.  The coffee porter and the regular porter were both tarts.
Yup

« Reply #742 on: May 15, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
This thread hasn't received a post in almost 4 months.  Unacceptable!

Since I've had to severely cut back on my drinking, I don't have as many beer reviews as I would have many years ago.  I've basically been doing taste testing by brand.  Now living out in the Bay Area, there's absolutely no shortage of great beer.  Here's what I've got so far:

Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale
Drinking this now.  Absolutely fantastic beer.  You'd think I work for Lagunitas with all of the positive reviews I write for their beer.  Pours out to a beautiful dark amber/copper color.  Sweet and citrusy, but a strong bitter finish.  Or is it the other way around?  This beer will assault your taste buds, and I mean that in the best possible way.  Certainly not a beer for everyone though as it's quite unique.  For me, it's a beer I savor with every sip.  And at 9.3% ABV, it packs a punch.  9.5/10.

Lagunitas NightTime Ale

Yup, another winner from Lagunitas.  "Black" IPA.  Piney, roasty, hoppy but not too hoppy.  Full of flavor and really nicely balanced.  Very highly recommended.  9/10.

Stone Ruination IPA
I picked up a variety pack from Stone Brewing, which included Ruination IPA, "Delicious IPA", Arrogant **** Ale, and a "Cali-Belgique" IPA (all reviewed below).  The Ruination IPA in my opinion was the best.  Supposedly they don't make this anymore - but if you can find it, buy it.  Especially if you like IPAs.  Another beer that will assault your taste buds.  And, among other wonderful things, you can actually taste the alcohol.  If your idea of good beer is Miller Lite (or any light beer for that matter), then this beer is not for you.  9/10.

Stone Delicious IPA

Just as the name says, the beer is delicious.  Lemony, citrusy.  Floral aroma.  Good stuff.  Probably more "drinkable" than Ruination for the average beer drinker, but not on par with Ruination.  8/10.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:52:58 PM by SCeltic34 »

« Reply #743 on: May 15, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA

Rather disappointed with this one.  But maybe that's because I drank it after I tried Ruination IPA.  This beer is missing something.  Not bad, but not great.  5/10.

Stone Arrogant Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. Ale

This one I know for a fact is available in Massachusetts because I drank it back when I lived in Boston.  Drank it again for a 2nd time and loved it for a 2nd time.  Beautiful dark copper color.  Piney with caramel and coffee tones.  Bitter but well balanced.  Not quite as good as Shutdown Investigation by Lagunitas (same beer class) in my opinion, but nonetheless outstanding stuff.  9/10.

Fat Tire Amber Ale

Heard good things about this one.  In my opinion nothing to write home about.  Mediocre in practically every way.  But certainly much better than your standard popular beers such as Coors, Heineken, Corona, etc.  5/10.

That's all for now.  More to come as I dive deeper into the realm of Bay Area beers.

« Reply #744 on: May 15, 2015, 11:00:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Big fan of Lagunitas. Lil Sumpin Sumpin is the go-to for me these days.

I tried the Stone Delicious recently and thought it was good, but not exactly what I was expecting. Lemon Drop hops made me expect something more along the lines of Mosaic.

Tonight I tried Green Flash's Road Warrior, an Imperial Rye India Pale Ale. Just wonderful. Smells like a dream (there's those Mosaic hops), tastes even better.

Another beer I've been meaning to hype: Ballast Point's Victory at Sea. An imperial porter, with coffee and vanilla. At 10% ABV, it's no session beer. Calling it a dessert beer would probably do it poor justice. Perhaps one of the best after-dinner beers I've ever had.

Not sure if you'll see these on the East coast, but if you do, do try them.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #745 on: May 15, 2015, 11:19:42 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
Big fan of Lagunitas. Lil Sumpin Sumpin is the go-to for me these days.

I tried the Stone Delicious recently and thought it was good, but not exactly what I was expecting. Lemon Drop hops made me expect something more along the lines of Mosaic.

Tonight I tried Green Flash's Road Warrior, an Imperial Rye India Pale Ale. Just wonderful. Smells like a dream (there's those Mosaic hops), tastes even better.

Another beer I've been meaning to hype: Ballast Point's Victory at Sea. An imperial porter, with coffee and vanilla. At 10% ABV, it's no session beer. Calling it a dessert beer would probably do it poor justice. Perhaps one of the best after-dinner beers I've ever had.

Not sure if you'll see these on the East coast, but if you do, do try them.

Cool stuff, TP.  Never seen those before.  There's just too much great beer out there and not enough liver to take it all in.  That Ballast Point porter sounds fantastic - if I see it I'll buy it.

« Reply #746 on: May 15, 2015, 11:41:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I never really liked Fat Tire all that much: never had much luck with ambers at all, actually. And I've tried some others from New Belgium that I thought were worse than mediocre.

But -- and it's been a while -- I do remember enjoying their Mothership Wit and their black lager, 1554. Not quite as hoppy as that Night Time from Lagunitas, IIRC.

« Reply #747 on: May 30, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I just drank the Novare Res 7 Year Itch Crab IPA. Brewed with crabs and 7 kinds of hope that start with 'C'.

http://mainetoday.com/eat-drink/beer-muse/novare-res-bier-cafe-celebrates-7-years-of-slingin-biers-with-collaboration-kegs-and-merriment/

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #748 on: May 30, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I just had a creme brûlée something or other. I want my calories back

« Reply #749 on: May 30, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I just drank the Novare Res 7 Year Itch Crab IPA. Brewed with crabs and 7 kinds of hope that start with 'C'.

http://mainetoday.com/eat-drink/beer-muse/novare-res-bier-cafe-celebrates-7-years-of-slingin-biers-with-collaboration-kegs-and-merriment/

Sounds like Lompoc's C-Note imperial pale. With crab juice. [Cue Homer.]