Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 242207 times)

Re: Favorite play of night-Was Robert Williams and not a dunk
« Reply #1800 on: July 08, 2019, 08:49:59 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
This is Summer League! not the real work that gets put in after all the attention seeking is over and back at Auerbach Center with trainers and coaches .
Williams is working on endurance i'm surprised at the weight loss but he did look quicker off the mark.
The bonding here is important Williams is so young and has so much to learn.Its good he is surrounded by young hard workers
Embid had two season off just some light shooting and Simmons one year off.

Williams it is about potential and controlled experiences .Langford is young and played hurt last season or was a likely top five .He is fluid, has a good frame has the length and wingspan and now they are working on his shot.There is no rush.
He is a project,Williams is a project.
Carson Edwards is not a project He can produce and defend but is STILL a rookie and has yet to play against the Marcus Smarts of the league .Or been game planned against.This is summer league not NBA prime time.
The NBA is the best in the world very few players have the luxury of playing for a contender and the coaching that can move them along properly.
So lets have fun again tonight
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:59:54 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1801 on: July 08, 2019, 10:08:22 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Well, there was a lot of nice basketball from RWill, but it seriously blows my mind that he won that Defensive Player of the year award.

Check out his awareness starting at 6.46 - three bad moves: doesn't check his man when the handoff happens (although isn't in too bad position - lucky), late to the drive contest - just literally ball watching, then late to recover and stupidly tries to snatch a steal that wasn't there, loses position. Still needs a LOT of work. Also, his offensive rebounding effort comes and goes.

Tacko's defense was actually pretty good all night. I hope he gets a 2-way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df5g_3SsB7k
Yes, there's currently some "irrational exuberance" surrounding Rob Williams.  He has a long way to go on both sides of the ball.  He clearly doesn't not have a grasp of team defense yet.  On the other side, his mid-range jumper is not reliable and he has no post game at all.  Any notion of him starting at center is just wishful thinking.

He also doesn't show much physicality. Looks like he's trying to avoid contact most of the time.

Pelle, on the Sixers, to me was a better defender.

Pelle is 26 years old.  He's a lot more experienced than any of the bigs we put on the floor in this game.  He's one of those players who always seems on the edge of making it in the NBA, every year.  Maybe this year.

That's the thing about Summer League. Everyone is looking at the young players, but there are always some older players like Pelle who are fighting for a job.

RWilliams basically didn't play last year. It's great to see him getting some run this Summer, but he has played very very little competitive basketball in over a year. Talk of him starting is premature to say the least. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Maine for part of this season. It's what should have happened last season, but Baynes and Horford couldn't stay in the lineup consistently, causing the Celtics to keep Williams on the bench just in case he was needed.

He is essentially a rookie this year.
So when someone on another team like Ben Simmons redshirts their first year everyone here calls his second year his second year.  When a Celtic actually plays in his rookie year some people call his second year his rookie year...

Langford would have been a top 5 pick?  Never heard that before.

« Reply #1802 on: July 08, 2019, 10:10:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Well, there was a lot of nice basketball from RWill, but it seriously blows my mind that he won that Defensive Player of the year award.

Check out his awareness starting at 6.46 - three bad moves: doesn't check his man when the handoff happens (although isn't in too bad position - lucky), late to the drive contest - just literally ball watching, then late to recover and stupidly tries to snatch a steal that wasn't there, loses position. Still needs a LOT of work. Also, his offensive rebounding effort comes and goes.

Yes, there's currently some "irrational exuberance" surrounding Rob Williams.  He has a long way to go on both sides of the ball.  He clearly doesn't not have a grasp of team defense yet.  On the other side, his mid-range jumper is not reliable and he has no post game at all.  Any notion of him starting at center is just wishful thinking.

He also doesn't show much physicality. Looks like he's trying to avoid contact most of the time.

Pelle is 26 years old.  He's a lot more experienced than any of the bigs we put on the floor in this game.  He's one of those players who always seems on the edge of making it in the NBA, every year.  Maybe this year.

That's the thing about Summer League. Everyone is looking at the young players, but there are always some older players like Pelle who are fighting for a job.

RWilliams basically didn't play last year. It's great to see him getting some run this Summer, but he has played very very little competitive basketball in over a year. Talk of him starting is premature to say the least. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Maine for part of this season. It's what should have happened last season, but Baynes and Horford couldn't stay in the lineup consistently, causing the Celtics to keep Williams on the bench just in case he was needed.

So when someone on another team like Ben Simmons redshirts their first year everyone here calls his second year his second year.  When a Celtic actually plays in his rookie year some people call his second year his rookie year...

Probably basing it off his top-5 high school status
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1803 on: July 08, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Different circumstances. Simmons being called out was because he was vying for an award wherein he has an advantage over guys just coming in.

Williams being basically a rookie is in comparison to the experience advantage that guys like Pelle have on him.

If Williams was going to be the rookie of the year, there would be questions here in this board.

« Reply #1804 on: July 08, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Also a thought playing with all the rookies and players just put together to show themselves  is probably harder than playing with rotation teammates that are cohesive and know each others strengths and weaknesses.
This is why GRANT WILLIAMS is going to look good and make the big club this upcoming season.  Once he gets away from other rookies, he is going to shine.  His BB-IQ is way beyond his peers.

« Reply #1805 on: July 08, 2019, 11:57:31 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

People will find any opportunity to bash this young man

Yes it's a obvious bad play on TL, but it's rare and for a guy who barely played last season in his first SUMMER game of the season it's totally acceptable

I'm not bashing, just trying to get everyone to calm down a little. He needs to do a lot of work. A lot. People are calling him for him to have the starting job...

Agree with this. Actually all the hype probably contributes to the problem. People are saying he’s ready to be a beast. He’s not. It’s disappointing if you compare the body of his on-court work to his very best plays or what his boosters promise.

We may need to wait at least another year before he’s ready for rotation minutes, and then we also have to understand that if he earns minutes on a contender that’s something we should be excited about - like found money- not something to take for granted or that he’s already earned.
Last year when he got real rotation minutes he schooled AD and lead a 18-0 run, and people point to one bad play saying he ain't ready , give this kid a break

If memory serves me, weren’t you also one of the ones raving about Semi and proclaim he would get major minutes during his second season? If so, then the overhyping of Williams, particularly in the game vs AD, is not uncommon. I mean Conner Henry dunked on Dr. J and if that happens today those that love to exaggerate would lose their collective minds.

« Reply #1806 on: July 08, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker

ESPN had him at 5 and an aggregated of mock drafts had him at 7.Most drafts had him in top 10 These included ESPN,SI,The Athletic,Bleacher Report and NBAdraft.net. at 13
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:54:34 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1807 on: July 08, 2019, 03:02:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Cool article about play where Waters through lob off backboard for TL to finish, with coach's approval:

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/07/robert-williams-on-the-off-the-backboard-alley-oop-from-tremont-waters-that-s-t-wasnt-planned.html

Robert Williams summer league highlights
« Reply #1808 on: July 08, 2019, 11:26:30 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Some exciting and encouraging growth and development clearly visible

Game 1: https://youtu.be/7fRuvwmNa48

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1148409235383803905?s=20

« Reply #1810 on: July 09, 2019, 05:58:36 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Favorite plays of night were the multiple times R Williams went after loose balls with flat out aggressive  going to ground and a rip, not just crumples or half hearted attempts.The kind that said the game means something or his teammates playing hard so would he.

I really couldn't believe my eyes on one flat out skidding dive ala Cowens .Is this from his working on
endurance or a switched on mindset .There were three plays that may have been seen in practice but never in the limited minutes he got that we could watch.

Posters have been right his boxing out had been non committal but today he made an obvious move to put a body on closest man(not as aggressive  as i was taught) but an improvement,

The attempted steal from behind with an aggressive burst from half court, along with last games jump the lane steal and a euro step finish have shown a side of Williams that has never been seen in the few minutes he got last season.
There even was an attempt of a around the back dribble in a transition drive to the hoop(he forced it)  but we have never had an opportunity to see his athleticism except with blocks or dunks.He also attacked a closeout to with a wide open dribble drive to a reverse dunk.

Ederson won't like this but i did.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:10:06 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1811 on: July 09, 2019, 07:13:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Favorite plays of night were the multiple times R Williams went after loose balls with flat out aggressive  going to ground and a rip, not just crumples or half hearted attempts.The kind that said the game means something or his teammates playing hard so would he.

I really couldn't believe my eyes on one flat out skidding dive ala Cowens .Is this from his working on
endurance or a switched on mindset .There were three plays that may have been seen in practice but never in the limited minutes he got that we could watch.

Posters have been right his boxing out had been non committal but today he made an obvious move to put a body on closest man(not as aggressive  as i was taught) but an improvement,

The attempted steal from behind with an aggressive burst from half court, along with last games jump the lane steal and a euro step finish have shown a side of Williams that has never been seen in the few minutes he got last season.
There even was an attempt of a around the back dribble in a transition drive to the hoop(he forced it)  but we have never had an opportunity to see his athleticism except with blocks or dunks.He also attacked a closeout to with a wide open dribble drive to a reverse dunk.

rollie, Yes he was much more active and showing his athleticism vs the Cavs.  I continue to be VERY encouraged by R-Will's progress and upside.  BUT, he still has a lot of holes in his game, on both sides of the ball.  Therefore, he still seems like a rookie to me and it's hard to envision him getting much more than 10-15 mpg.  This is a season of learning and gaining experience.  He could contribute in a more significant way in 2020-2021 season.

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1812 on: July 09, 2019, 07:23:20 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm sure glad I got this message after finishing a fairly lengthy post about Timelord:
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

Sigh - merge strikes again. Since the original thread is over a year old and over 120 pages(!), it is probably okay if there is a new 2019-20 one. I guess I'll just say, I agree with you rollie. He looks great out there.

« Reply #1813 on: July 09, 2019, 08:13:27 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

rollie, Yes he was much more active and showing his athleticism vs the Cavs.  I continue to be VERY encouraged by R-Will's progress and upside.  BUT, he still has a lot of holes in his game, on both sides of the ball.  Therefore, he still seems like a rookie to me and it's hard to envision him getting much more than 10-15 mpg.  This is a season of learning and gaining experience.  He could contribute in a more significant way in 2020-2021 season.

Agree with surferdad. Loved the hustle, did not love a good amount of the decisionmaking.

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1814 on: July 09, 2019, 09:21:15 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Vs. Cleveland... 10 pts on 4/9 shooting, 2 rebs, 1 ast, 1 stl, 2 blks in 18 minutes.