Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 240931 times)

Re: Favorite play of night-Was Robert Williams and not a dunk
« Reply #1785 on: July 07, 2019, 12:16:49 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If Rob Will can become like Clint Capela then the search for the next Celtics big man is over.

Right now Celts are still one move away from being a legit contender.

I think the Celts are better off trading for a player like Bradley Beal than for a big like Capela.

I think the cs are development away from being a contender.  No need to trade for beal or anyone else right now.  Develop the young guys and see what you have.

Boston Herald's Bulpett said the Celts are not done dealing.

So we'll see what happens.
Heard it's Brown for Draymond , i am no fan of Brown but i don't know i want Draymond either

Would be hard to say bye to Brown and watch him thrive elsewhere, but if we want to be a team in contention this year, that would be the trade to make.  How do you match salaries on that one? 

« Reply #1786 on: July 07, 2019, 01:27:15 PM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
It would be difficult to match salaries in a Brown for Green trade. Although it would be enticing to have Green b/c he is a game changer on D, he clearly has baggage. I can easily envision Green getting in Tatum's face or anyone else, who isn't regularly giving 100% effort on every play or missing assignments. I don't think it's a risk worth taking, given what divisiveness the team experienced last year. And besides, Brown is younger and perhaps we haven't seen his ceiling yet.

« Reply #1787 on: July 07, 2019, 01:36:49 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
And besides, Brown is younger and perhaps we haven't seen his ceiling yet.

I hope not!  Seven years younger than Green.  I don't make this trade.  The Cs need a stud center not another wing.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #1788 on: July 07, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I had to replay that play twice to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. :)

Overall, I think Rob showed a lot of promise, but like others have posted, I don't think he's ready to start. To play 10 to 15 minutes, yes, but as 2nd or 3rd big off the bench. 

No one brings it up, but I still think Robert isn't going to have the stamina to play 20+ minutes over a full season/playoffs until he has the operation on his legs. I really do think the vein impingement is holding him back during games.

« Reply #1789 on: July 07, 2019, 03:11:11 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Summer league is about fun for fans and these guys only have played a week together-no wonder there were blown assignments and confusion reigned
.As OP i was specific to the play and why i liked it The other day my favorite was Romeo and a shooting coach at far end of court alone trying to rework his shot.
Found another Williams play this was a slashing put back dunk that came out of nowhere and was over in a blink I think this endurance program and loss of weight has made him quicker

Also a thought playing with all the rookies and players just put together to show themselves  is probably harder than playing with rotation teammates that are cohesive and know each others strengths and weaknesses.

Robert was facing a 7-4 center that had wingspan and hops.Robert after making some nice moves in the paint and showing patience got blocked a couple times at rim-he even laughed about it with the Sixer center.

Ederson don't confuse this as he should start or could start but the kid has talent.and is young.
AND THIS IS SUMMER LEAGUE.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 03:25:18 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1790 on: July 07, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
First to say i don't like Green's personality too, and if Danny decide to not want him it will be because Green will challenge Brad and Brad don't want that

But it does make some sense to swap Brown for Green and go for title now

1.Brown is younger, can develope into better than Green but it also means he is still not there, and Kemba and Hayward are both around 30 and in their prime

2.Championships are never won by 23 years but by veterans in their prime, if you wait for Brown and Tatum it's very possible you come out short and waste Kemba and Hayward's prime

3.You compete for title by Kemba(1)+Hayward(2)+Tatum(3)+Green(4)+Kanter(5)+Smart(6th)
Too many mouth problem solved, even if you fail you will still have Smart in his 30 and Tatum in his 26

4.as long as Brad is the coach and Danny is the GM you don't have to worry about talent incoming while stay competitive, we already know Star Free Agents wants to come here

« Reply #1791 on: July 07, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Summer league is about fun for fans and these guys only have played a week together-no wonder there were blown assignments and confusion reigned
.As OP i was specific to the play and why i liked it The other day my favorite was Romeo and a shooting coach at far end of court alone trying to rework his shot.
Found another Williams play this was a slashing put back dunk that came out of nowhere and was over in a blink I think this endurance program and loss of weight has made him quicker

Also a thought playing with all the rookies and players just put together to show themselves  is probably harder than playing with rotation teammates that are cohesive and know each others strengths and weaknesses.

Robert was facing a 7-4 center that had wingspan and hops.Robert after making some nice moves in the paint and showing patience got blocked a couple times at rim-he even laughed about it with the Sixer center.

Ederson don't confuse this as he should start or could start but the kid has talent.and is young.

I am waiting for the next thread about Williams waking up early and another one about him going to the grocery store by himself.

You fail to realise that the posts are against your unreasonable hype and not against Williams.

« Reply #1792 on: July 07, 2019, 05:36:45 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Well, there was a lot of nice basketball from RWill, but it seriously blows my mind that he won that Defensive Player of the year award.

Check out his awareness starting at 6.46 - three bad moves: doesn't check his man when the handoff happens (although isn't in too bad position - lucky), late to the drive contest - just literally ball watching, then late to recover and stupidly tries to snatch a steal that wasn't there, loses position. Still needs a LOT of work. Also, his offensive rebounding effort comes and goes.

Tacko's defense was actually pretty good all night. I hope he gets a 2-way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df5g_3SsB7k
Yes, there's currently some "irrational exuberance" surrounding Rob Williams.  He has a long way to go on both sides of the ball.  He clearly doesn't not have a grasp of team defense yet.  On the other side, his mid-range jumper is not reliable and he has no post game at all.  Any notion of him starting at center is just wishful thinking.

He also doesn't show much physicality. Looks like he's trying to avoid contact most of the time.

Pelle, on the Sixers, to me was a better defender.

Pelle is 26 years old.  He's a lot more experienced than any of the bigs we put on the floor in this game.  He's one of those players who always seems on the edge of making it in the NBA, every year.  Maybe this year.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #1793 on: July 07, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I had to replay that play twice to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. :)

Overall, I think Rob showed a lot of promise, but like others have posted, I don't think he's ready to start. To play 10 to 15 minutes, yes, but as 2nd or 3rd big off the bench. 

No one brings it up, but I still think Robert isn't going to have the stamina to play 20+ minutes over a full season/playoffs until he has the operation on his legs. I really do think the vein impingement is holding him back during games.

I think it's silly at this point to say RW will or won't be "ready to start".   This is the first SL game.   It's just one step in a long road before we even should begin to worry about whether he should be starting or not.   Let's at least see how the kid (as well as the other players) look after they've had a chance to get past the first-game jitters and learned how to play with each other.   That usually happens somewhere around the last couple of games of Summer League.

Making predictions now, positive or negative, is just not really based on anything.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #1794 on: July 07, 2019, 05:44:49 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I noticed the same play the OP pointed out.  Good show of skill there by Robert.

In any case, he's a youngster.  He's going to need 2 more years of seasoning and then we can think about whether or not he's qualified to start in the NBA...

For now, pointing out the positives is great...

« Reply #1795 on: July 08, 2019, 04:24:44 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
The knee vein impingement is definitely the monster in the closet.
I would like to say it was playing under game conditions that everybody coming back goes through  before getting a 2nd wind.I will never forget" two a days" practices that Rollie Massimino put us through coming back.
 Even after the summer of full court outdoors pick up games in the August heat and running the dunes at Cranes Beach with ankle weights and a weight vest.Nothing prepares a young center for competitive games with everybody playing like kamikazes looking to get noticed.Waters,Grant Williams,Carson Edwards i think Williams remembered going out the first day last year and just wanted at times to survive the Demo Derby.
Waters used the court like a water slide,Williams knocked down 5 players while Edwards was like the Tazmanian devil bodying up guards bringing in backcourt or boxing out bigs with his low center of gravity and core strength.
Nobody cares about fouls-you get 10.

There were definite times that Williams could/should have gone up a gear getting back but i think he thought there was coverage.

i thought Roberts court awareness showed in his passing more than several times-the over the shoulder pass out of the paint to wing after he had been blocked twice previous at rim a couple more cross court passes and a subtle misdirection fake and pass to the corner..
Williams did not bang down low or turn and block and i took it as a positive that he started taking mid range but Morrison didn't.

Ederson your attempts to temper expectations by belaboring the negative just doesn't suit Summer League, as it is an arena of potential and attributes that can be built on and negatives corrected.

« Reply #1796 on: July 08, 2019, 04:31:51 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Found another Williams play this was a slashing put back dunk that came out of nowhere and was over in a blink and it turned out it was off the backboard by Waters I think this endurance program and loss of weight has made him quicker .

I am waiting for the next thread about Williams waking up early and another one about him going to the grocery store by himself.

You fail to realise that the posts are against your unreasonable hype and not against Williams.

"Sarcasm is angers ugly cousin"-Jack Nicholson

« Reply #1797 on: July 08, 2019, 06:21:15 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Calling a good play a good play is not an unreasonable hype

« Reply #1798 on: July 08, 2019, 07:49:26 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The Daily threads are

« Reply #1799 on: July 08, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Well, there was a lot of nice basketball from RWill, but it seriously blows my mind that he won that Defensive Player of the year award.

Check out his awareness starting at 6.46 - three bad moves: doesn't check his man when the handoff happens (although isn't in too bad position - lucky), late to the drive contest - just literally ball watching, then late to recover and stupidly tries to snatch a steal that wasn't there, loses position. Still needs a LOT of work. Also, his offensive rebounding effort comes and goes.

Tacko's defense was actually pretty good all night. I hope he gets a 2-way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df5g_3SsB7k
Yes, there's currently some "irrational exuberance" surrounding Rob Williams.  He has a long way to go on both sides of the ball.  He clearly doesn't not have a grasp of team defense yet.  On the other side, his mid-range jumper is not reliable and he has no post game at all.  Any notion of him starting at center is just wishful thinking.

He also doesn't show much physicality. Looks like he's trying to avoid contact most of the time.

Pelle, on the Sixers, to me was a better defender.

Pelle is 26 years old.  He's a lot more experienced than any of the bigs we put on the floor in this game.  He's one of those players who always seems on the edge of making it in the NBA, every year.  Maybe this year.

That's the thing about Summer League. Everyone is looking at the young players, but there are always some older players like Pelle who are fighting for a job.

RWilliams basically didn't play last year. It's great to see him getting some run this Summer, but he has played very very little competitive basketball in over a year. Talk of him starting is premature to say the least. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Maine for part of this season. It's what should have happened last season, but Baynes and Horford couldn't stay in the lineup consistently, causing the Celtics to keep Williams on the bench just in case he was needed.

He is essentially a rookie this year.