Author Topic: Korver agrees to one-year contract with Bucks  (Read 4471 times)

Re: Korver agrees to one-year contract with Bucks
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 07:04:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Thought he would go to LA.

His 3 pt % was the lowest since early in his career, he was useless in the playoffs, and he'll be 39 come the playoffs next year. IMO, he adds next to no value for the Bucks, and quite possibly a net negative. The Bucks already have a number of veteran players, not sure how Korver adds anything at all to their team.

We're no doubt diminished (hopefully only temporarily) losing Al, but Milwaukee is also diminished from last year, losing Brogdon. The only way I see them improving as a team is if Freak gets even better, which isn't beyond the realm of possibility. It's a pretty pedestrian bunch once you get past Giannis.  If Gordon can get back to 2017 form, we'll give them all they can handle.
I'm not so sure the Bucks are actually a worse team.  They lost Brogdon, Snell, and Mirotic but replaced them with Ilyasova, Lopez, and Matthews.  They are also a pretty young team and presumably should see a lot of growth from a lot of their rotation.
They're worse.  They already had Ilyasova last season.  R. Lopez and Mathews are clear downgrades from Mirotic and Brogdon.  And in the Snell salary dump trade they got Jon Leuer who they waived and stretched.
Yeah I forgot they had Ersan.  That does change things. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 07:57:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

His 3 pt % was the lowest since early in his career, he was useless in the playoffs, and he'll be 39 come the playoffs next year. IMO, he adds next to no value for the Bucks, and quite possibly a net negative. The Bucks already have a number of veteran players, not sure how Korver adds anything at all to their team.

We're no doubt diminished (hopefully only temporarily) losing Al, but Milwaukee is also diminished from last year, losing Brogdon. The only way I see them improving as a team is if Freak gets even better, which isn't beyond the realm of possibility. It's a pretty pedestrian bunch once you get past Giannis.  If Gordon can get back to 2017 form, we'll give them all they can handle.
I'm not so sure the Bucks are actually a worse team.  They lost Brogdon, Snell, and Mirotic but replaced them with Ilyasova, Lopez, and Matthews.  They are also a pretty young team and presumably should see a lot of growth from a lot of their rotation.
They're worse.  They already had Ilyasova last season.  R. Lopez and Mathews are clear downgrades from Mirotic and Brogdon.  And in the Snell salary dump trade they got Jon Leuer who they waived and stretched.

I agree they are worse. I am also confused how they are a pretty young team?

This is probably their top 8-9 rotation players

Giannis 24 (obviously could improve and is awesome)
Bledsoe 29 (not improving could even decline slightly)
B Lopez 31 (could decline a bit)
R Lopez 31 (probably already declining)
Middleton 27 (in prime)
Matthews 32 (declining)
Hill 33 (declining)
Brown 24
Connaughton - 26
Korver 38

I think that is actually one of the older teams in the league, kind of baffled of how they could improve outside of Giannis (who could certainly take a leap and offset all the other older players).
I'd definitely be concerned if I were a Bucks fan.  That's not a very inspiring lineup to convince Giannis to re-sign in a couple years. 

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 10:31:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Middleton 27 (in prime)
Matthews 32 (declining)
Hill 33 (declining)
Brown 24
Connaughton - 26
Korver 38

I think that is actually one of the older teams in the league, kind of baffled of how they could improve outside of Giannis (who could certainly take a leap and offset all the other older players).
I'd definitely be concerned if I were a Bucks fan.  That's not a very inspiring lineup to convince Giannis to re-sign in a couple years.
depends what you think of and what happens with the development of Divencenzo, Brown, Wilson, and of course how long Middleton's prime is.  Obviously they aren't afraid to make moves either.  I'm sure they will look different in a few years.

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 10:43:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Middleton 27 (in prime)
Matthews 32 (declining)
Hill 33 (declining)
Brown 24
Connaughton - 26
Korver 38

depends what you think of and what happens with the development of Divencenzo, Brown, Wilson, and of course how long Middleton's prime is.  Obviously they aren't afraid to make moves either.  I'm sure they will look different in a few years.
They don't have a few years.  Giannis has 2 years left on his contract.  If they don't make the finals this season, things could get dicey with Giannis.  I don't see any reason to think Divencenzo, Brown or Wilson will develop enough to influence Giannis' decision. 

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 11:29:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Middleton 27 (in prime)
Matthews 32 (declining)
Hill 33 (declining)
Brown 24
Connaughton - 26
Korver 38

They don't have a few years.  Giannis has 2 years left on his contract.  If they don't make the finals this season, things could get dicey with Giannis.  I don't see any reason to think Divencenzo, Brown or Wilson will develop enough to influence Giannis' decision.

Yea I agree with tazz on this. Also still really confused why you said they are young. They are one of the older teams in the league. Also like tazz was pointing out none of these guys was a blue chip lottery pick or anything either.

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 07:42:54 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Middleton 27 (in prime)
Matthews 32 (declining)
Hill 33 (declining)
Brown 24
Connaughton - 26
Korver 38

They have retooled quite a bit since the 2017/2018 ended.  I see no reason why they can't keep shuffling the deck to keep their supporting cast at decent ages.

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Middleton 27 (in prime)
Matthews 32 (declining)
Hill 33 (declining)
Brown 24
Connaughton - 26
Korver 38

They have retooled quite a bit since the 2017/2018 ended.  I see no reason why they can't keep shuffling the deck to keep their supporting cast at decent ages.
That was the point I was making, but you did it much better.  Giannis, Middleton, Wilson, and Brown are the only players that started the 2017-18 season on the Bucks that are still on the Bucks.  That is less than 2 years and they have basically turned over the entire team outside of the 2 best players (and 2 guys that were rookies that year).  They had 24 players play in at least one game in the 17-18 season and followed that up with 24 players playing in at least 1 game in a year they won 60 games and made the ECF.  I see no reason to think the Bucks won't mix it up again if something isn't working.  That said, I think they have the right mix of players of around Giannis and don't expect the Bucks to make a lot of moves this year as frankly I believe the Sixers are the only team that can beat them in the East (assuming basically full health from everyone). 

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Middleton 27 (in prime)
Matthews 32 (declining)
Hill 33 (declining)
Brown 24
Connaughton - 26
Korver 38

That was the point I was making, but you did it much better.  Giannis, Middleton, Wilson, and Brown are the only players that started the 2017-18 season on the Bucks that are still on the Bucks.  That is less than 2 years and they have basically turned over the entire team outside of the 2 best players (and 2 guys that were rookies that year).  They had 24 players play in at least one game in the 17-18 season and followed that up with 24 players playing in at least 1 game in a year they won 60 games and made the ECF.  I see no reason to think the Bucks won't mix it up again if something isn't working.  That said, I think they have the right mix of players of around Giannis and don't expect the Bucks to make a lot of moves this year as frankly I believe the Sixers are the only team that can beat them in the East (assuming basically full health from everyone).
Plenty of teams have had lots of turnovers these past two seasons.  The turnover the Bucks had this offseason was a net negative.  Looking past Giannis their team just isn't that strong.  Telling Giannis they can flip the roster some more isn't a strong selling point.  They don't have good assets to trade for more talent and, as CC pointed out, they are a relatively old team. 

The Sixers look like the only team in the East who can beat them this season but Giannis will be re-signing for the long term.  If Ainge can get a solid defensive center without giving up much, I think we'd have a solid shot at beating them in the playoffs.  Next season, Brooklyn will have KD and Kyrie plus their supporting cast.  Miami could swing another star to pair with Butler. 

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Middleton 27 (in prime)
Matthews 32 (declining)
Hill 33 (declining)
Brown 24
Connaughton - 26
Korver 38

Plenty of teams have had lots of turnovers these past two seasons.  The turnover the Bucks had this offseason was a net negative.  Looking past Giannis their team just isn't that strong.  Telling Giannis they can flip the roster some more isn't a strong selling point.  They don't have good assets to trade for more talent and, as CC pointed out, they are a relatively old team. 

The Sixers look like the only team in the East who can beat them this season but Giannis will be re-signing for the long term.  If Ainge can get a solid defensive center without giving up much, I think we'd have a solid shot at beating them in the playoffs.  Next season, Brooklyn will have KD and Kyrie plus their supporting cast.  Miami could swing another star to pair with Butler.
Boston is not on Milwaukee's level even with a solid defensive center.  We clearly saw that last year when the C's had a better team than they do now and Milwaukee whipped the C's easily in 5 (and they didn't have Brogdon so they might have been even worse than they will be this year).   Even if Durant is somehow 100% healthy and looks like he was never hurt, I don't know that the Nets will be any better than Milwaukee.  Irving is still Irving and we've yet to see just how Irving/Durant look and what their young guys do in a vastly different role.  The Nets could be on the Sixers/Bucks tier or they could be below them pretty easily, especially if Durant looks like an older player coming off a devastating injury.

Milwaukee without any moves is a top 2 team in the East for the foreseeable future (I'd actually pick them over the Sixers based on what I know right now).  Yeah it is mostly because Giannis is a monster, but Giannis is a monster and they've set that team up to play perfectly to his strengths. 

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Middleton 27 (in prime)
Matthews 32 (declining)
Hill 33 (declining)
Brown 24
Connaughton - 26
Korver 38

Boston is not on Milwaukee's level even with a solid defensive center.  We clearly saw that last year when the C's had a better team than they do now and Milwaukee whipped the C's easily in 5 (and they didn't have Brogdon so they might have been even worse than they will be this year).   Even if Durant is somehow 100% healthy and looks like he was never hurt, I don't know that the Nets will be any better than Milwaukee.  Irving is still Irving and we've yet to see just how Irving/Durant look and what their young guys do in a vastly different role.  The Nets could be on the Sixers/Bucks tier or they could be below them pretty easily, especially if Durant looks like an older player coming off a devastating injury.

Milwaukee without any moves is a top 2 team in the East for the foreseeable future (I'd actually pick them over the Sixers based on what I know right now).  Yeah it is mostly because Giannis is a monster, but Giannis is a monster and they've set that team up to play perfectly to his strengths.
Pretty much all on Giannis.  He's going to have to carry their team.  He's the one who's going to have to grow his game to improve their team.  I think they are a better regular season team than playoff team.