Author Topic: Brad Stevens Appreciation Thread  (Read 3929 times)

Re: Brad Stevens Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 08:53:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Celtics are in no way "complete" nor are they being represented as such.

They don't have a power forward do they? How about a Center? Any shooters off the bench?

I think this might be part of the issue: When is Danny going to "complete" this roster?

This is the third time in four seasons that the Cs have made the Eastern Conference finals, so the team seems to be in prime position to add the last few pieces to the puzzle. When is Danny going to do that? Why has he still not invested in a legit, full-time center (as opposed to the current bevy of "situational" centers on the roster)? Why no legit power forward? Why has he not found a veteran sharpshooter? Etc.

Danny's had a LOT of draft picks in recent years, and stands to get several more this offseason. He can keep only so many of them, because there's just not enough room on the roster. And he can't really try to develop that many players anyway, because a) it takes too long, and b) he's probably not going to be able to draft all the pieces he needs; he'll also need to make trades and/or free-agent signings—to get certain players from other teams, AND to consolidate (get rid of some of the draft picks/young draftees).

So, for me at least, I'm eager to see the rest of the pieces put into place, and am wondering how long Danny's going to take to do that.

Instead of moving forward with AD (presumably in place for Brown/Smart) along with Tatum, Hayward, Kyrie, and Horford, we were kind-of left high and dry by both Kyrie and Horford last offseason. Even with the rabbit-out-of-his-hat addition of Kemba, it was universally agreed upon that we had taken a step back.

We came into the season with essentially 5 rookie players and we are only able to play one of them spot minutes. Kanter was all that was left in the C FA crop and we can see how the match-ups have gone with him. Danny should have absolutely made a trade at the deadline for a veteran when he saw we were actually good.

But even with all of the above working out as it did, here we are in the ECF playing w/o one of our top players. Danny deserves a little bit of criticism - some w/ his drafting, some for not making a move at the deadline - but I can't really blame him for what happened last offseason. He did what he could and Stevens had this team firing on all cylinders until this series...which is unfortunate because I don't know when we'll ever have the opportunity to play the #5 seed in the ECF again.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 09:21:04 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

They don't have a power forward do they? How about a Center? Any shooters off the bench?

I think this might be part of the issue: When is Danny going to "complete" this roster?

This is the third time in four seasons that the Cs have made the Eastern Conference finals, so the team seems to be in prime position to add the last few pieces to the puzzle. When is Danny going to do that? Why has he still not invested in a legit, full-time center (as opposed to the current bevy of "situational" centers on the roster)? Why no legit power forward? Why has he not found a veteran sharpshooter? Etc.

Danny's had a LOT of draft picks in recent years, and stands to get several more this offseason. He can keep only so many of them, because there's just not enough room on the roster. And he can't really try to develop that many players anyway, because a) it takes too long, and b) he's probably not going to be able to draft all the pieces he needs; he'll also need to make trades and/or free-agent signings—to get certain players from other teams, AND to consolidate (get rid of some of the draft picks/young draftees).

So, for me at least, I'm eager to see the rest of the pieces put into place, and am wondering how long Danny's going to take to do that.

Instead of moving forward with AD (presumably in place for Brown/Smart) along with Tatum, Hayward, Kyrie, and Horford, we were kind-of left high and dry by both Kyrie and Horford last offseason. Even with the rabbit-out-of-his-hat addition of Kemba, it was universally agreed upon that we had taken a step back.

We came into the season with essentially 5 rookie players and we are only able to play one of them spot minutes. Kanter was all that was left in the C FA crop and we can see how the match-ups have gone with him. Danny should have absolutely made a trade at the deadline for a veteran when he saw we were actually good.

But even with all of the above working out as it did, here we are in the ECF playing w/o one of our top players. Danny deserves a little bit of criticism - some w/ his drafting, some for not making a move at the deadline - but I can't really blame him for what happened last offseason. He did what he could and Stevens had this team firing on all cylinders until this series...which is unfortunate because I don't know when we'll ever have the opportunity to play the #5 seed in the ECF again.

Yeah, to be fair most people never expected us to be this good this year. but the HUGE jumps from Brown/Tatum becoming 20+ppg scorers and kemba plugging right in elevated our ceiling. People forget fans were questioning whether Ainge was right in giving brown that money and betting on his improvement.

I do hope Danny goes out this summer and gets some veterans on the cheap to round out this roster. Because playing guys like Semi in the ECF is not a winning formula.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 02:46:55 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Wanted to bump this with a great video about how the Celtics adjusted their offense to exploit the player that seemed to give them the most trouble in game 2: https://youtu.be/pfy5GJ8_tg4

I didn’t watch the game yesterday in real-time, but in the highlights I’ve seen it seems like Stevens noticed that leaving Dragic and Bam on an island was not working, and adding Hayward to the rotation allowed him to fully adjust his defensive game plan to “switch everything and be physical on the ball handler” like I thought he should.

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 03:28:40 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yeah, to be fair most people never expected us to be this good this year. but the HUGE jumps from Brown/Tatum becoming 20+ppg scorers and kemba plugging right in elevated our ceiling. People forget fans were questioning whether Ainge was right in giving brown that money and betting on his improvement.

I do hope Danny goes out this summer and gets some veterans on the cheap to round out this roster. Because playing guys like Semi in the ECF is not a winning formula.

We're set up well for that this... fall? Having a couple of late first rounders, plus some non-minimum salaries from guys like Poirier, Semi, and Edwards means that we can make deals for low salary vets, and having most of the team under contract for next season means that we can use our MLE on improving the bench, rather than trying to patch a giant hole (like we had to last summer)

I would love to get Baynes back
I'm bitter.