Author Topic: C's defensive numbers since Bradley came back  (Read 6939 times)

Re: C's defensive numbers since Bradley came back
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
For any fellow patriots fan it reminds me of the patriots defense pre/post aqib Talib....whether it's all because of the one player or not it's undeniable the difference and how it's made things fall into place...small sample size though

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
it hasn't been Bradley, it's been the entire team coming together and beginning to understand the defense, trust each other, and give a full effort. Washburn's articles have documented this quite well recently. They actually lost the first game Bradley came back, and they lost convincingly to a poor team. I was at that game, and the celtics were awful on both ends of the floor. It's the team as a whole getting fed up with poor losses and trusting in their coach and each other.  I'm glad Bradley's back, but he has struggled so far, as expected considering all the time he missed. He looks mediocre at the moment.

Give credit where it's due, to the celtics players finally beginning to trust in Doc and the defensive system.
Are the grizzlies a poor team?  That's news to me.

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 05:23:10 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
it hasn't been Bradley, it's been the entire team coming together and beginning to understand the defense, trust each other, and give a full effort. Washburn's articles have documented this quite well recently. They actually lost the first game Bradley came back, and they lost convincingly to a poor team. I was at that game, and the celtics were awful on both ends of the floor. It's the team as a whole getting fed up with poor losses and trusting in their coach and each other.  I'm glad Bradley's back, but he has struggled so far, as expected considering all the time he missed. He looks mediocre at the moment.

Give credit where it's due, to the celtics players finally beginning to trust in Doc and the defensive system.
Are the grizzlies a poor team?  That's news to me.

Exactly...not to mention you could visibly see a difference with Bradley in the lineup even despite the "convincing loss"

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 05:25:27 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I was going to stop but then I keep seeing the DUMB argument that we somehow think it's all Bradley... as if we don't know it's the ENTIRE team playing better... I mean, the argument is stupid considering NOT ONE person has said it's all Bradley (forget the people with tongue-in-cheek)!!!

You people are DISCOUNTING the affect AB had on those other players which in turn made them give more effort and also put them back in the roles they are more suited for!!

For examples:

RR was able to go back to working passing lanes instead of having to work so hard fighting over many screens, he doesn't have to pressure the ball as much... AB does great what RR doesn't so RR can go back to doing what he is great at. Please read the article where RR gushed on AB (or any interview after the games)!

Jet can go back to a bench role (where he is more comfortable)... he get's to play with Lee in the second unit which is better for him and Lee. Jet and Lee are our sparks off the bench scoring/defense.

KG and our PF/Centers don't have to help as much off their men, so they can conserve more energy (no one would hedge their men when they would help, that caused problems too)!

AB makes the opponents use more of the clock to start their offensive possessions, then to try and combat that the teams try to get the offense started quicker by letting someone else bring the ball up, that then throws off their offensive sets since the ball is in a place/someone else hands they didn't want it to be! So now you either have a short clock and/or you have a messed up offensive set.

Then you have his energy, which everyone else feeds off of. Like PP said, when AB is out there going hard, it makes me want to go hard too (along those lines)! AB's energy is infectious!

His play does a lot of little things that the box score wont show but I'm glad the team knows his worth even if others don't... that's all that matters! Every team needs a player like AB, no one is suggesting he is the only player that can do this. He just happens to be that guy for our team!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
AB always does take the toughest guard matchup defensively and when Doc wants to push the opposing offense's buttons he always has AB being the guy instigating it by putting on full court pressure.

That causes the other team to start their offense later, start their offense on the wrong side of the court or takes the ball out of the hands of the opposition's best passer.

It really is the catalyst for the Celtics defense being so dominant since AB has been getting big starters' minutes. So his return probably did spark his team mates into playing better defense as did the horrible performances they had given in that department recently.

Either way, the C's defense since Bradley's return is clearly evident and is probably because of both his return and because of a better overall effort from the entire team on the defensive end.

Everything else is chicken and egg argument as to what came first.

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 05:51:54 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
it seemed to me that when AB was defending the PG, the other teams' offenses were out of sync.  It is a lot easier for the rest of the team to play great team defense for 14 seconds than 19.  When the other team can't get into their sets until halfway through the shot clock, the defense only has to make two plays to get a stop. 

When there's no ball pressure, the defense has to cover and recover three or four times.  That's when a team that moves the ball gets either an open three or a paint shot, the two best shots in basketball. 

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Note that Bradley has played 20, 23, and 20 minutes in these first 3 games.  He is capable of 35. 

If indeed he is having the impact many of us think he is having, this is happening before he is 100% and with him playing only a bit more than half of what he'll be playing come playoff time.  Bradley may be really changing the dynamics or many of us may be really grasping at straws, but I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The clincher is not what is happening now, it is the fact that he already did this last year. This is what was expected and he delivered. There is no speculation here, AB delivered what was expected of him. No one can take away from him the impact he has had on this team through his defense.

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 06:10:32 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Note that Bradley has played 20, 23, and 20 minutes in these first 3 games.  He is capable of 35. 

If indeed he is having the impact many of us think he is having, this is happening before he is 100% and with him playing only a bit more than half of what he'll be playing come playoff time.  Bradley may be really changing the dynamics or many of us may be really grasping at straws, but I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

I agree. But if we are grasping at straws then PP, RR, Doc, KG, Jet, Sully... heck, anyone who does interviews about the team is too!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Bradley's biggest effect is he offers some protection for Rondo on the defensive end.

This is similar to how Pierce would provide a blanket for Ray's inefficiencies and similar to how Perk and KG covered up for one another too.

With the way Doc sets up KG's playing stints, our first unit and 2nd unit should not lose too much on the defensive side of things. The offense is another story.