Author Topic: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)  (Read 187245 times)

Re: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)
« Reply #1575 on: November 21, 2020, 09:50:33 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Hopefully this doesn’t drag out long, I don’t envision Bogdan being on the market much longer.

« Reply #1576 on: November 21, 2020, 09:52:12 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Lol @ people convincing themselves Bogdonavic is next.

Nice fantasy, but I’d be shocked if DA could pull a rabbit out of his arse.

It's speculation, no need to laugh at people.

So why is this a rabbit out of the hat situation?

If this TPE works out (likely to given how standard it is) and Danny actually has interest in Boggy at the rumored numbers ($18 M per - which is the biggest question mark at this point), we should be front runner for him. The only other major player right now is ATL who looks to be offering $18 M per. If the option is between being a starter and major contributor for a major contender versus playing in ATL trying to make the playoffs, I think we clearly have the edge.

Because the hornets have no insentive to do a trade.  They created the cap space for Hayward by stretching Nick Batum.

We got nothing for Hayward... But we did get out from underneath his massive contract.  Addition by subtraction.

Hence the 2nd rounder(s) that have been discussed plenty of times here. It's similar to the deal we did last year, with the Hornets no less

Exactly. There’s literal precedent WITH THE EXACT SAME TWO TEAMS just this past year for this kind of deal. It’s fairly straightforward and standard, especially given that they’re not really in the same sphere as far as competitiveness.

« Reply #1577 on: November 21, 2020, 09:54:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

If this TPE works out (likely to given how standard it is) and Danny actually has interest in Boggy at the rumored numbers ($18 M per - which is the biggest question mark at this point), we should be front runner for him. The only other major player right now is ATL who looks to be offering $18 M per. If the option is between being a starter and major contributor for a major contender versus playing in ATL trying to make the playoffs, I think we clearly have the edge.

Because the hornets have no insentive to do a trade.  They created the cap space for Hayward by stretching Nick Batum.

We got nothing for Hayward... But we did get out from underneath his massive contract.  Addition by subtraction.

Hence the 2nd rounder(s) that have been discussed plenty of times here. It's similar to the deal we did last year, with the Hornets no less

Exactly. There’s literal precedent WITH THE EXACT SAME TWO TEAMS just this past year for this kind of deal. It’s fairly straightforward and standard, especially given that they’re not really in the same sphere as far as competitiveness.

Isnt Bogdanovich a FA? You cannot use the TPE to sign a FA. Can you???

« Reply #1578 on: November 21, 2020, 09:55:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

[/quote
Sign and trade?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1579 on: November 21, 2020, 09:56:23 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

You can't use a TPE to sign a player, but you CAN use a TPE to bring in a player in a sign and trade
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1580 on: November 21, 2020, 09:57:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Sign and trade?

what are Cs sending to Sacto?

« Reply #1581 on: November 21, 2020, 09:59:42 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

[/quote
Sign and trade?

Maybe a 2nd round pick and a trade exception.   Doesn't sound like Sac wants him.   

« Reply #1582 on: November 21, 2020, 10:01:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Sign and trade?

Maybe a 2nd round pick and a trade exception.   Doesn't sound like Sac wants him.

Okay

« Reply #1583 on: November 21, 2020, 10:08:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I wonder if the holdup was neither Boston or Indy was willing to pay this much.

I'm sure this was the holdup. Ainge wasn't going to give him an extension in the 4 year $120m bracket, and Indy probably didn't want to send back TJ Warren. So Charlotte ended up being the fallback option.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1584 on: November 21, 2020, 10:10:30 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I guess this was in a way Ainge getting his revenge for that David West debacle back in 2011. When we were so close to signing him and then Larry Bird swoops him away. Pacers lose out on Hayward

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1585 on: November 21, 2020, 10:11:10 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
So what's the incentive for Jordan and Charlotte to do this? Offload some unwanted players to us?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1586 on: November 21, 2020, 10:11:20 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Making it a 3-way trade, can't the Hornets save money from the Batum deal?

« Reply #1587 on: November 21, 2020, 10:14:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Making it a 3-way trade, can't the Hornets save money from the Batum deal?

What Batum deal.... I thought they strecthed his contract.

« Reply #1588 on: November 21, 2020, 10:17:22 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So what's the incentive for Jordan and Charlotte to do this? Offload some unwanted players to us?

If Boston takes back some salary they don't have to stretch Batum.

« Reply #1589 on: November 21, 2020, 10:17:54 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
Honestly, Hayward’s agent should get a statue built. At the end of this contract Gordon will have made 210 million in 7 years on career averages of 15/4/3.

Don’t like how the situation happened but I do hope he ends up turning it around