Author Topic: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)  (Read 187373 times)

Re: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)
« Reply #1605 on: November 22, 2020, 12:51:40 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
What an overpay for this guy. It is funny because i guess after firing an overpayed soft minded and inj prone wing with Batum, they take almost the same profile (OK with bid difference in abilities OFF and DEF but you know what I mean).
Whatever his agent is smart I really thought it could turn bad for him to renounce to his 34 millions... He may be one of the all time sportsmen, with almost 300 millions gains in the career, to earn the more money in comparaison to what he brought to his team and to the game, no ?
Because honnesly if he leads with Scarry Terry and Graham the team to one 8th place EC and then being swept at first round, it would already be an happy signing for MJ... Crazy.

Good wind to him, he had wonderfull game abilities, had no luck, is a good profesionnal, but he is soft all the way and I don't like how he felt and act with our team, so I don't like this guy anymore (and was never a big fan unlike JT JB or Smart)

Re: Shams: Hayward opts out, hits free agency
« Reply #1606 on: November 22, 2020, 01:45:33 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm not seeing what purposes Hayward may have to consider leaving, though. 

A fresh start, after a brutal time in Boston?
Does he have family in IN?
Competition with Brown/Tatum?
Tough negotiations with front office?

All seem possible - maybe more than one at play - but none seem all that convincing.  Maybe only because we aren't aware of some locker room/front office happenings, though (as always).

I think the first 3 are pretty much on the mark. He's definitely had a brutal time here, the fans are low on him because he hasn't delivered, and he's fallen behind Brown, Tatum and Kemba and because he's not a selfish "gotta get me mine" player he won't rock the boat, he'd rather leave and go elsewhere. It's not his fault due to injuries but he's been a poor investment. I wouldn't be surprised if he just wanted to draw a line under it and possibly move back to his home state towards the back half of his career. He would definitely be one of their top 2 options, especially if Dipo moves on.

I think he has a pretty decent relationship with the FO though, which is probably why they are trying to work on sign and trade options for Boston to get something. Due to Covid depressing league revenues where the league is withholding up to 30% of player salaries to cover shortfalls it's more financially viable for him to opt out of his last year and try to get a longer term deal where the money on the back end more than makes up for the lower annual amount so I understand why he opted out. He's not getting $34m this year anyway because of Covid so may as well try and find a better long term deal and security. The big question is, does Danny have the same idea of his value going forward that Gordon does, and I suspect that, similar to Al, the answer is no, which is probably why he's not coming back here. And Danny usually has a better idea of player value than the player themselves, so there is that  :police:

Welp, I failed to account for a possible 4 year, $120 million offer!

More power to him, though.  I hope he can stay on the court.  Seems like a good guy, and he's a great player when healthy.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #1607 on: November 22, 2020, 02:19:20 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Making it a 3-way trade, can't the Hornets save money from the Batum deal?

What Batum deal.... I thought they strecthed his contract.

That's what I meant.

It was announced that they would stretch his 28 million contract to make room for Hayward. Not that they have already done it. This would cost them 9 million per season during the next three seasons and would open up 18 million in cap space for this season, what would be enough to fit Hayward's new contract.

If Charlotte somehow adds Batum in a 3 way deal with the Celtics, they would save a lot of money.

... and we’d add $27 million, taking us past the luxury tax.  It won’t happen, with us or anybody else.

Agreed, there's no way we should take on Batum.  We've been trying to target getting under the luxury tax.

I don't know what kind of deal would be had between the Celtics and Charlotte, as didn't they just manage to squeeze Hayward under their cap without needing to make deals by waiving and stretching Batum already?

« Reply #1608 on: November 22, 2020, 04:53:00 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Wyc and MJ are partners with that high end tequila brand together with Jeannie Buss and the Bucks’ owner. MJ wouldn’t do Wyc bad being friends and business partners. In the same way, Wyc gave MJ a favor with that s&t with Rozier last year. It would be interesting to see the final structure of this Hayward to Charlotte saga.

« Reply #1609 on: November 22, 2020, 06:11:23 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’m not sure if I understand this all correctly. 
A sign and trade with Charlotte would create $20+ million in a TPE depending on what Charlotte does with Batum?
The Celtics have $16 million of space before going over the luxury tax which would nullify the Thompson signing?

If that’s the case, and I know this would be a reach, I would love to make a play for Bogdanovic.  The Hawks are rumored to be offering him 4/72. We could just about match that by shipping out Semi.

Send a second rounder or two to Charlotte.
Offer Semi and a first to the Kings.
We can offer Bogdan Hayward’s role.  He could start or play starter like minutes off the bench. And compete for a championship.

If that’s not enough compensation for the Kings or enough money for Bogdan, we could could replace Semi with Langford.  We could then offer Bogdan a starting salary of about $19 million with that going up each year. 

I’m being hopeful, but that team would look like a contender.

« Reply #1610 on: November 22, 2020, 06:58:49 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
It probably makes them most sense for Charlotte to front end Hayward’s deal - starting year at ~$32.23M and each year decrease by 5%. If they do that and send us back Zeler they don’t have to waive batum and we would create a $17m exception enough to S&T for Bogdanovic ... I hope there are no hard feelings from last year when we stole Kemba ...
Hornets can then trade batum for Horford and actually become a treat to Indiana for the 7th seed

« Reply #1611 on: November 22, 2020, 08:43:23 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
What an overpay for this guy. It is funny because i guess after firing an overpayed soft minded and inj prone wing with Batum, they take almost the same profile (OK with bid difference in abilities OFF and DEF but you know what I mean).
Whatever his agent is smart I really thought it could turn bad for him to renounce to his 34 millions... He may be one of the all time sportsmen, with almost 300 millions gains in the career, to earn the more money in comparaison to what he brought to his team and to the game, no ?
Because honnesly if he leads with Scarry Terry and Graham the team to one 8th place EC and then being swept at first round, it would already be an happy signing for MJ... Crazy.

Good wind to him, he had wonderfull game abilities, had no luck, is a good profesionnal, but he is soft all the way and I don't like how he felt and act with our team, so I don't like this guy anymore (and was never a big fan unlike JT JB or Smart)

and the worst part is, to create cap space they stretched Batums contract. so they have a $9million a year cap hit.

so they essentially swapped out batum at $27million for Hayward at $39million cap hit. (30million salary plus $9million from batum)

« Reply #1612 on: November 22, 2020, 09:09:46 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Goodbye Education Reform  :'(

« Reply #1613 on: November 22, 2020, 11:30:40 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Is it right that the Batum deal has been announced but has not officially taken place so he might still be able to be involved in a s&t?

I don't want him but he only has 1 year left on that deal, right? There's probably a non-contending team that doesn't mind taking him on for a year if they can get a second rounder out of it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1614 on: November 22, 2020, 11:39:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Is it right that the Batum deal has been announced but has not officially taken place so he might still be able to be involved in a s&t?

I don't want him but he only has 1 year left on that deal, right? There's probably a non-contending team that doesn't mind taking him on for a year if they can get a second rounder out of it.

We don't want him in a sign and trade. We want TPE. 

« Reply #1615 on: November 22, 2020, 11:59:22 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

We don't want him in a sign and trade. We want TPE.
Did you just stop reading my post midway through?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1616 on: November 22, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

« Reply #1617 on: November 22, 2020, 01:10:16 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Goodbye Education Reform  :'(

Yeah wonder how much that played into the final decision, or whether the decision had been made at that point.

« Reply #1618 on: November 22, 2020, 01:18:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

its just an extra headache. Goodluck trying to find suitors for Batum without taking back salary

I agree with the other posters. Only for TPE. Otherwise let Charlotte sweat it themselves

« Reply #1619 on: November 22, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I had a look at the Hornets' Reddit, there's a lot of negativity around the Hayward signing, mainly about the cost. Here's an example of a meme that's getting upvoted:

Poor Gordon. I've got a lot of time for G, I think he's a nice guy, by all accounts a great teammate, he never once complained about his role while here, he accepted being 4th string even though he came here as an All Star, he missed the birth of his son to play for us while still injured, but end of day he left as a bust because he never lived up to the $128m he was paid. I fear history might be about to repeat itself, especially since he's got $130m more reasons to have to live up to his billing.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D