Author Topic: Changes to the Celticsblog Forums  (Read 13400 times)

Changes to the Celticsblog Forums
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:24:58 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hey, guys.  I'm pleased to announce that we've made some changes to the Celticsblog forums.  Now, the majority of these changes could be considered "tweaks", and most are related to security and related issues.  However, there is one change that I think you will all be a big fan of.

We've replaced the old "my profile" screen with something much cooler, called the "Ultimate Profile".  Now, you can add multiple pictures and videos to your profile, you can create a "buddy list" (much like a friends list on Facebook), you can add comments to other people's pictures and profiles, and a lot more.  For those who are HTML savvy, we're even experimenting with allowing you to "customize" your profile further in terms of looks, etc.  You can access your profile by either clicking on the "My profile" option in the upper righthand side menu, or by clicking your screenname.  From there, just click on the options for "Ultimate Profile", "My Pictures", or "Edit Buddies" to access the new options.  (To add a buddy, click on their screenname to go to their profile, and click on the "Add Buddy" option.  Once your buddy confirms you, you're good to go.)

A second, more minor, change is that we've enabled the ability to "tag" posts, to help you keep them organized.  When members start a post, they'll be given the option of placing "tags" on it, such as player names, etc.  (i.e., "Kevin Garnett", "Antoine Walker", etc.)  These tags will then be displayed at the bottom of the topic.  If you'd like to see other threads with the same tag, simply click on the tag and it will bring you to a listing of similarly-themed threads.

The last change that you'll see is that we've added a number of NBA avatars.  It was silly that the only avatars installed were for musicians and actors, so we installed an NBA package.  Hopefully in the future we'll be able to tweak this even more by adding some Celtics players.

One note:  some aspects of the new profile, as well as the NBA avatar set, work / look best when your forums are set to "Wide" (rather than "Narrow").  It's been this way for awhile now, but the new changes amplify that.  We're looking into getting it fixed.

As a final heads up that may affect a very small number of you:  it's no longer possible to access Celticsblog via web proxy.  We apologize to anybody that this affects adversely, but it's necessary to protect the site against spammers and other malcontents.  Thanks for understanding.

We're very happy with these new additions, particularly the Ultimate Profile.  We're hopeful that this will continue to add to the community feel on Celticsblog.  Please give us feedback below, and let us know (either in the forums or via PM) if you have any questions.  

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:46:20 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Changes to the Celticsblog Forums
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:01 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Very cool, Roy...

Good work by everybody!

Everything looks great so far.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Very cool, Roy...

Good work by everybody!

Everything looks great so far.

Thanks, Matt.  Let us know if anything doesn't seem to be working; we want to make sure we flipped all of the proper switches!

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Buddy list?  OMG MOD CLIQUE CONSPIRACY!!  ;)

Seriously though, what does the buddy list allow you to do?  You can see and comment on profiles not on your list, right?

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:42:15 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Buddy list?  OMG MOD CLIQUE CONSPIRACY!!  ;)

Seriously though, what does the buddy list allow you to do?  You can see and comment on profiles not on your list, right?

When you check out the options in the "Ultimate Profile" section, you'll see that you have the option of "hiding" your pictures or restricting comments from non-buddies, sort of like on Facebook.  If you do that, guests and regular members wouldn't be able to see what you write, but your buddies could (as well as the mods / admins).

Also, some folks just like to accumulate a large buddy list, and that's cool, too (even if your profile is open to every one).  In the future, there may be other features that can be used in connection with the buddy list.

One last thing:  the regular Celticsblog rules apply to member profiles, as well, so please don't post anything lewd. ;)

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 11:05:32 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

The last change that you'll see is that we've added a number of NBA avatars.  It was silly that the only avatars installed were for musicians and actors, so we installed an NBA package.  Hopefully in the future we'll be able to tweak this even more by adding some Celtics players.

Roy, where would I be able to find these new NBA avatars?
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Mike,

Click on "Forum Profile Information".  From there, you'll see a list that says "[Actors]", "[Musicians]", and "[NBA]".  Click on NBA, and scroll through the various images.  Then, at the bottom, click on "Change Profile" to make it happen.

As noted above, make sure your forum setting is changed to "Wide".  This can be done in the upper-right on your members menu (a few options below where it says Welcome Mike-Dub). 

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 11:17:30 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Mike,

Click on "Forum Profile Information".  From there, you'll see a list that says "[Actors]", "[Musicians]", and "[NBA]".  Click on NBA, and scroll through the various images.  Then, at the bottom, click on "Change Profile" to make it happen.

As noted above, make sure your forum setting is changed to "Wide".  This can be done in the upper-right on your members menu (a few options below where it says Welcome Mike-Dub). 

Thanks Roy TP for the help!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 11:32:53 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
These new changes appear to be Great!

I'm trying to stumble around and figure it out..I think I accidently hit the delete button on someone - my bad.

You'd think that I would be more proficient with Technology like this being that I am in school for Computer Science, but I digress ;D

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 11:37:17 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
One last thing:  the regular Celticsblog rules apply to member profiles, as well, so please don't post anything lewd. ;)

Oh no worries, it'll all pass the SLAPS test for sure. 

So, I can see the new profile setup, but I don't see the "Ultimate Profile", or "My Pictures" buttons on that page.  I see the old "Modify Profile" linkset toward the bottom, but they just go to the old profile setup pages and a new link for "Edit Buddies".  Where physically should the new buttons be on the profile page?

EDIT: Ok, the links appear to be showing up over time.  Odd, they weren't there earlier. 

EDIT EDIT:  I have them all now, problem solved.  Looks great!  I'll play around with it later.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:43:36 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 11:41:30 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
One last thing:  the regular Celticsblog rules apply to member profiles, as well, so please don't post anything lewd. ;)

Oh no worries, it'll all pass the SLAPS test for sure.  

So, I can see the new profile setup, but I don't see the "Ultimate Profile", or "My Pictures" buttons on that page.  I see the old "Modify Profile" linkset toward the bottom, but they just go to the old profile setup pages and a new link for "Edit Buddies".  Where physically should the new buttons be on the profile page?

EDIT: I have a "My Pictures" link, but no way to add pictures within that link, just a notification that I have none.

Try it now, FWF.

The "Ultimate Profile" and "My Pictures" options should be located in the same place as "Forum Profile Information", etc.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:15:08 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I like it.  Hats off to Roy for taking the lead on this.

by the way, I think this is my 4,000th post - yay!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:36:09 PM by Jeff »
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Congrats to Jeff,Roy and the rest of the crew. Love the changes and addition.

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 12:32:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
By the way, for an example of what your profile can look like, check out Jeff's.