Author Topic: Chad Ford: Upshaw's off-the-court issues more serious than initially thought  (Read 49604 times)

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
From a recent Basketball Insiders chat:

Alex Kennedy

I don’t think Robert Upshaw is a first-round pick and I’m not even sure if he’ll be drafted, to be honest. As teams are digging into his situation and doing their homework, there are red flags left and right (and it’s not just the substance abuse, from what I’m told). I hope he can get the help he needs and turn his life around, but I’ve talked to some people around the NBA who say there’s no way they would pick him – in either round.

That's crazy. I get not picking him in the first round if you worry about the red flags. But being undrafted? He's not even going to be worth risking a non-guaranteed contract!? Shut the front door...

You'd have to be a criminal for that to happen, and from what I read, he hasn't been charged with a crime. His talents and potential are too good for the second round. For execs to tell him they won't even draft him in the 2nd are either two things...

a.) They know something that we don't, like criminal records or ongoing trial about a felony he committed. Or...

b.) They're just blowing A TON of smoke so he'd drop way too far.

I think it's safe to say that even the anti Upshaw guys would think that he's worth taking a flier in the second round. Those red flags better be criminal records for them to not even consider drafting him in the 2nd round.
Of course they know things that we don't know.  I have no idea why everyone on this blog automatically assumes he is merely a pot smoker.

I'm not assuming that. I'm just saying that if none will even give him a look on the 2nd round, when it's already considered a low risk high reward, something is not right.

He's too talented to not even be able to be drafted in the second round. His red flags may have to involve future jail time foer him to not even get a look at #40-60. Or GM's are just blowing smoke to each other so he'd drop on the 2nd round.

I'd still swing at #16 if he's available. So what of the red flags, this is the perfect time to go big or go home. Too muchpotential to pass.
Taking Upshaw at #16 would put the Celtics at risk of getting NO player at all.  You need someone to at least contribute.  And the last thing the organization wants is bad publicity if and when Upshaw self destructs.  I agree that he may be worth a gamble in the second round, or maybe even with our late first rounder if Ainge isn't impressed with anyone else.  But I think it would be crazy to take him at #16.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I fear that he will mess up big time if he ever joined the Celtics ???
I think that he would benefit from having veterans around him that could keep him in check. Hey maybe Wallace is up for the challenge ::)
Maybe Wallace can go home with Upshaw after practices like Josh Hamilton's "life coach" or whatever the title is.  They can even sleep in bunk beds at night. :D

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Alex Kennedy

I don’t think Robert Upshaw is a first-round pick and I’m not even sure if he’ll be drafted, to be honest. As teams are digging into his situation and doing their homework, there are red flags left and right (and it’s not just the substance abuse, from what I’m told). I hope he can get the help he needs and turn his life around, but I’ve talked to some people around the NBA who say there’s no way they would pick him – in either round.

That's crazy. I get not picking him in the first round if you worry about the red flags. But being undrafted? He's not even going to be worth risking a non-guaranteed contract!? Shut the front door...

You'd have to be a criminal for that to happen, and from what I read, he hasn't been charged with a crime. His talents and potential are too good for the second round. For execs to tell him they won't even draft him in the 2nd are either two things...

a.) They know something that we don't, like criminal records or ongoing trial about a felony he committed. Or...

I think it's safe to say that even the anti Upshaw guys would think that he's worth taking a flier in the second round. Those red flags better be criminal records for them to not even consider drafting him in the 2nd round.
Of course they know things that we don't know.  I have no idea why everyone on this blog automatically assumes he is merely a pot smoker.

I'm not assuming that. I'm just saying that if none will even give him a look on the 2nd round, when it's already considered a low risk high reward, something is not right.

He's too talented to not even be able to be drafted in the second round. His red flags may have to involve future jail time foer him to not even get a look at #40-60. Or GM's are just blowing smoke to each other so he'd drop on the 2nd round.

I'd still swing at #16 if he's available. So what of the red flags, this is the perfect time to go big or go home. Too muchpotential to pass.

That would be such an awful decision. "If available"? Obviously he'll be available at #16 and he'll be available way after that too. You simply can't give this guy a guaranteed contract because of the risks with him. Addiction(s) and having money = a recipe for disaster so you have to protect your investment by making his contract non-guanteed, which it is in the 2nd rd.

We can and we should because he's, as Chad Ford mentioned, is lottery talent.

Unless he got drunk, failed a drug test or commit a crime recently, we need to pick him at #16 before anyone else does. As a team, we should not be worried about his past but instead focus on his future. He's a talented kid, who seems to be trying to het his life on track (he hired a life coach and checked into rehab and finished). Just to pass on him because of a troubled past is passing on what could be a great talent, and a position we desperately need.

There's no way he'll last in the second round. That talent, with that potential? There's absolutely no way, even with the red flags, unless the red flags are so criminal he's facing tome out of the court because of legal issues.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think at best, wait until the 2nd round and pick him.

This sounds like a player that the Celtics do not want a guaranteed contract for multiple season yet.  Give him a chance but be able to easily move on from him. 

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Given the sensitivity in the Boston area with players with talents flaming out and causing the local teams problems(Vin Baker, Aaron Hernandez, etc.) I doubt Upshaw is going to be drafted by the. Celtics. Talent or not, teams in Boston don't need the PR problems that come with having a problem child on their hands.

Upshaw got an interview with the team but no workout. Pretty good sign he isn't going to be drafted by Boston.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Alex Kennedy

That would be such an awful decision. "If available"? Obviously he'll be available at #16 and he'll be available way after that too. You simply can't give this guy a guaranteed contract because of the risks with him. Addiction(s) and having money = a recipe for disaster so you have to protect your investment by making his contract non-guanteed, which it is in the 2nd rd.

Unless he got drunk, failed a drug test or commit a crime recently, we need to pick him at #16 before anyone else does. As a team, we should not be worried about his past but instead focus on his future. He's a talented kid, who seems to be trying to het his life on track (he hired a life coach and checked into rehab and finished). Just to pass on him because of a troubled past is passing on what could be a great talent, and a position we desperately need.

There's no way he'll last in the second round. That talent, with that potential? There's absolutely no way, even with the red flags, unless the red flags are so criminal he's facing tome out of the court because of legal issues.

We've seen this story play out before. Chris Washburn, Roy Tarpley, etc. Both were bigs, both were extremely talented (much more than Upshaw), both checked themselves into rehab clinics, but both ultimately succumbed to the temptation of drugs and the NBA lifestyle. Perhaps Upshaw is unique in that he doesn't follow the same self-destructive path, but it's a gamble I'm not willing to take with a 1st rd pick, a 16th pick no less.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Alex Kennedy

We've seen this story play out before. Chris Washburn, Roy Tarpley, etc. Both were bigs, both were extremely talented (much more than Upshaw), both checked themselves into rehab clinics, but both ultimately succumbed to the temptation of drugs and the NBA lifestyle. Perhaps Upshaw is unique in that he doesn't follow the same self-destructive path, but it's a gamble I'm not willing to take with a 1st rd pick, a 16th pick no less.

Fair enough.

All I'm saying I've never read or heard anything recently to suggest that he's going to revert back to his bad habits. He's got to much potential to drop in the 2nd round, and with a ton of picks in hand for the next two to three years, this is the perfect time to gamble on someone with high upside, especially in that draft position where most of the players left could be just potential role players.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All I'm saying I've never read or heard anything recently to suggest that he's going to revert back to his bad habits.

Addiction is rough stuff.  A person always has the potential to relapse whether you've heard about it or not.  He might be worth a gamble though, one never knows.   For every John Lucas thought there are tons of guys who could not turn it around.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jeff Goodman recently said that alcohol was another one of Upshaw's issues. So many red flags that I find it laughable whenever someone suggests to pick with the #16.

yeah, not at 16. 33 yes

I'll take him at #33 because his contract is non-guanateed. However, depending on the circumstances surrounding his addiction(s) it will make me reconsider him at #33 depending on who else is available. At #45 I don't see anybody falling that far that will make me take pause in a Upshaw selection.

33 unless a guy ranked 20-25 drops

Getting kicked out of not one but 2 schools is a majot red flag. You would think aftet the 1st time you would learn.  Washington warned him to be at his best. But he still couldnt comr through.

Signs that he has an addiction or cant handle stress.

But his package, size is definitely top 10 material. Even if he pans out ,no team can be considered a genius. Just that you were able to throw away a pick and take a risk. Celts can definitely burn one. 

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Alex Kennedy

Fair enough.

All I'm saying I've never read or heard anything recently to suggest that he's going to revert back to his bad habits. He's got to much potential to drop in the 2nd round, and with a ton of picks in hand for the next two to three years, this is the perfect time to gamble on someone with high upside, especially in that draft position where most of the players left could be just potential role players.

Look, I love Upshaw as a player. However, giving him a non-guaranteed deal also gives him extra incentive to remain clean.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2671
  • bammokja

Alex Kennedy

so did vin baker, marvin barnes, hernandez, len bias, josh hamilton, roy tarpley, and how many others? shouldnt we to consider THESE potential futures as well? you simply cant ignore something you dont like because it is inconvenient when making a draft pick.

upshaw's abilities are good, but seem to be overrated here by some, and i am not even mentioning his problems. upshaw looks to be a good player, not great. honestly, everything i have seen shows he doesnt have offensive polish and is uneven on defensive play and effort. he is not even in the top 5-6 big men of this draft. let's get that straight to start with.

THEN let's talk about his problems. his life either is, or is about to be a hell of a mess, unless he does a 180 and suddenly changes before crashing and burning. and what are the odds of that?

finally, why the rush pick him at 16? do you really think some other nba GM will snatch him away before the second round?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Alex Kennedy

Fair enough.

Look, I love Upshaw as a player. However, giving him a non-guaranteed deal also gives him extra incentive to remain clean.

Oh I get that. I'm.just saying there's no way he lasts that long, despite all these reports. Alex Kennedy must be gettingword from GM's that are just blowing smoke, hoping he'd drop to within reach for them. Who knows, maybe Since is one of them, didn't he work out with us already?

I just don't buy the "too many red flags, will not be drafted" claim. He's too talented to even get passed in the 2nd round. I'm just in the mindset that why not just draft him at #16 before anybody else does. I don't think it makes a difference if the contract is guaranteed or not, if he's the headcase that people are predicting him to be, he will drop regardless of earnings. I doubt that though. The fact that he hired a guy to keep him in check and did his part in rehabbing suggest to me that he knows he has a tight thread to walk on, and can't screw it up.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Alex Kennedy

Fair enough.

Oh I get that. I'm.just saying there's no way he lasts that long, despite all these reports. Alex Kennedy must be gettingword from GM's that are just blowing smoke, hoping he'd drop to within reach for them. Who knows, maybe Since is one of them, didn't he work out with us already?

I just don't buy the "too many red flags, will not be drafted" claim. He's too talented to even get passed in the 2nd round. I'm just in the mindset that why not just draft him at #16 before anybody else does. I don't think it makes a difference if the contract is guaranteed or not, if he's the headcase that people are predicting him to be, he will drop regardless of earnings. I doubt that though. The fact that he hired a guy to keep him in check and did his part in rehabbing suggest to me that he knows he has a tight thread to walk on, and can't screw it up.

Sixty days in rehab at his age is a pretty serious situation.

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
16 is not a "Might as well take a gamble on a guy who probably won't pan out 90% of the time" pick.

28 might be such a pick. But 16 is not.

Great words from a great man

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson