Author Topic: Cooper Flagg  (Read 82319 times)

Re: Cooper Flagg
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2023, 12:00:26 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Cooper Flagg putting on a show. Lebron and CP3 in attendance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4WGjwbF7Q

Great player, seems to have it all.  But why do these highlight reels focus so much on dunks?  Sure, he has long arms and can jump.  That is not what is going to get him to the NBA.  I just get so bored watching dunk after dunk.

That's today's NBA for you. Consider the large number of players nowadays who make it to the NBA on athleticism/leaping ability but can hardly shoot a lick.

As for Flagg, it's really cool to see a fellow Mainah playing so well. "Good basketball player" and "Maine" rarely go together, LOL.
Hey now, Flagg's got the potential to be the best Maine-born basketball player since... Cindy Blodgett? Broadening out to other team sports he's right up there with, uh, Roger Levesque?

That's royalty right there.

Cindy Blodgett is royalty, man.  She had a legit cult following. 

But, we don't have a lot.  There are a few guys who played at Maine Central Institute (Caron Butler, Sam Cassell, Brad Miller, Cuttino Mobley), but they weren't Mainers.  Then there are guys who were born here, but didn't stay long, like Duncan Robinson and, NHL-wise, Mike DiPietro.

I would guess that the pro athlete who the state has most embraced is Mike Bordick.  He wasn't born here, but he went to high school and college in-state.  The other contender who non-hardcore NASCAR fans might not recognize is Ricky Craven.  Both are from Hampden, Maine, next door to Bangor.  (Interesting that the Portland area hasn't produced many pro athletes.)

Ha - I wasn't being sarcastic, actually. Her run with UMaine as a player was pretty special, even though I'm a bit too young to have properly appreciated it beyond "a thing I was aware of happening while I was alive". I did get to watch an awful lot of Roger Levesque, though, and he was very, very good - even if he was a medium-small fish in a very small pond.

For the most well-known sportspeople of the non-native locals, I suppose it depends on how you want to define it, but Seth Wescott got a Wheaties box, and I'd say he was local enough at the time.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2023, 01:17:18 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Great player, seems to have it all.  But why do these highlight reels focus so much on dunks?  Sure, he has long arms and can jump.  That is not what is going to get him to the NBA.  I just get so bored watching dunk after dunk.

That's today's NBA for you. Consider the large number of players nowadays who make it to the NBA on athleticism/leaping ability but can hardly shoot a lick.

As for Flagg, it's really cool to see a fellow Mainah playing so well. "Good basketball player" and "Maine" rarely go together, LOL.
Hey now, Flagg's got the potential to be the best Maine-born basketball player since... Cindy Blodgett? Broadening out to other team sports he's right up there with, uh, Roger Levesque?

But, we don't have a lot.  There are a few guys who played at Maine Central Institute (Caron Butler, Sam Cassell, Brad Miller, Cuttino Mobley), but they weren't Mainers.  Then there are guys who were born here, but didn't stay long, like Duncan Robinson and, NHL-wise, Mike DiPietro.

I would guess that the pro athlete who the state has most embraced is Mike Bordick.  He wasn't born here, but he went to high school and college in-state.  The other contender who non-hardcore NASCAR fans might not recognize is Ricky Craven.  Both are from Hampden, Maine, next door to Bangor.  (Interesting that the Portland area hasn't produced many pro athletes.)

Ha - I wasn't being sarcastic, actually. Her run with UMaine as a player was pretty special, even though I'm a bit too young to have properly appreciated it beyond "a thing I was aware of happening while I was alive". I did get to watch an awful lot of Roger Levesque, though, and he was very, very good - even if he was a medium-small fish in a very small pond.

For the most well-known sportspeople of the non-native locals, I suppose it depends on how you want to define it, but Seth Wescott got a Wheaties box, and I'd say he was local enough at the time.
Joan Benoit-Samuelson is another great but her prime was early 80s so a lot of people don't remember how dominant she was in the woman's marathon.

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2023, 01:36:13 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Joan Benoit-Samuelson is another great but her prime was early 80s so a lot of people don't remember how dominant she was in the woman's marathon.

JBS was awesome.  In 2013, after what appears to have been 22 years not running a competitive marathon, she had the fastest marathon by a woman age 55–59.  I got to see her first Boston win in 1979, I was along the course, just don't remember where exactly.

Seems as though there should be some hockey standouts, but none are jumping out at me.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2023, 01:41:24 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

JBS was awesome.  In 2013, after what appears to have been 22 years not running a competitive marathon, she had the fastest marathon by a woman age 55–59.  I got to see her first Boston win in 1979, I was along the course, just don't remember where exactly.

Seems as though there should be some hockey standouts, but none are jumping out at me.
Paul Kariya

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2023, 01:47:26 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

For hockey players, not sure about any from Maine, but a lot of pros who went to UMaine—some standouts being Eric Weinrich, current B's coach Jim Montgomery, Ben Bishop, and the greatest one being Paul Kariya.

Current Astros shortstop (and last year's World Series MVP) Jeremy Pena went to UMaine. Former major-league pitcher Bill Swift was from Portland and went to UMaine and spent 13 seasons in the bigs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2023, 02:06:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

For hockey players, not sure about any from Maine, but a lot of pros who went to UMaine—some standouts being Eric Weinrich, current B's coach Jim Montgomery, Ben Bishop, and the greatest one being Paul Kariya.

Current Astros shortstop (and last year's World Series MVP) Jeremy Pena went to UMaine. Former major-league pitcher Bill Swift was from Portland and went to UMaine and spent 13 seasons in the bigs.

Don't forget Jeremy Swayman on the Bruins. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2023, 02:55:18 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Don't forget Jeremy Swayman on the Bruins.

Oh, that's right! Good call.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2023, 03:02:01 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I know the comparison game is flawed, but does anyone have a good comp for Cooper Flagg? What are the realistic and optimistic projections?

I've seen Andrei Kirilenko, Gordon Hayward, Larry Bird, and Jayson Tatum as comps. My knee-jerk reaction is that these are all different players.

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2023, 03:10:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I know the comparison game is flawed, but does anyone have a good comp for Cooper Flagg? What are the realistic and optimistic projections?

I've seen Andrei Kirilenko, Gordon Hayward, Larry Bird, and Jayson Tatum as comps. My knee-jerk reaction is that these are all different players.

Kirilenko with better scoring and shooting, maybe?  It depends on if he growths further, but he's a 6'8" PF / SF who projects to be an elite defender while also being very good at scoring, passing and rebounding. 

But when you watch him, there's no guy who immediately jumps out as being the perfect comparison.

The optimistic upside is a cross between Paul Pierce and Ben Simmons (without the craziness), except better at blocking shots.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2023, 03:13:23 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I feel like Tatum and Bird are going to be optimistic projections for nearly everyone who picks up a basketball. But yeah, I feel like “light skinned forward” is the comparison de jur, but maybe that’s because he’s a kid who’s a while away from having a style of play.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2023, 04:01:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Kirilenko with better scoring and shooting, maybe?  It depends on if he growths further, but he's a 6'8" PF / SF who projects to be an elite defender while also being very good at scoring, passing and rebounding. 

But when you watch him, there's no guy who immediately jumps out as being the perfect comparison.

The optimistic upside is a cross between Paul Pierce and Ben Simmons (without the craziness), except better at blocking shots.
The defence reminds me a lot of Kirilenko, or Shawn Marion. Athletic forward who is all over the place making plays.

I haven’t been able to see enough of his offence though. Most highlight reels are just him dunking on people, which is hard to draw much from
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2023, 05:11:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The videos I looked up on him, he was playing against poor competition and guys who were marginal athletes.  Those peach jams guys were horrible players.

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2023, 11:33:08 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Flagg reminds me of a more aggressive Bobby Jones, but that’s purely based on his athleticism.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 11:56:14 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2023, 08:23:45 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Flagg reminds me of a more aggressive Bobby Jones, but that’s purely based on his athleticism.

I like the Bobby Jones comp, so I looked him up and found this quote:

"If I was going to ask a youngster to model after someone, I would pick Bobby Jones." Said longtime 76ers teammate Julius Erving, "He's a player who's totally selfless, who runs like a deer, jumps like a gazelle, plays with his head and heart each night, and then walks away from the court as if nothing happened."

Dang, his shooting was sick early in his career!  He played 84 games as  a PF in 74-75, 32 MPG, 14.8 PPG, and shot 60%.

I think the biggest difference is, Flagg is going to probably play the 3 whereas Bobby was a pure 4. 

The AK47 comp is a good one too, but they say Flagg is still growing so he could wind up bigger.  Maybe becoming more like Dirk.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2023, 01:24:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Dang, his shooting was sick early in his career!  He played 84 games as  a PF in 74-75, 32 MPG, 14.8 PPG, and shot 60%.

That is because he shot close to the bucket more oft than not.