Author Topic: Cooper Flagg  (Read 82455 times)

Re: Cooper Flagg
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2023, 08:28:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Looks solid on D, but he's 6'8" and looks like a 7 footer. Hopefully he grows a few more inches to make up for the lack of athletic ability. Or maybe since he's only 15, his athletic comes ability comes later? I just remember KG about the Same age and a little bigger flying around the court.  But at 15, he's got a chance for both to happen.

"lack of athletic ability?  LOL!! Kid's a stud.

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2023, 08:30:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I’ve watched a bit of Cooper Flagg’s highlights recently, and physically he reminds me of Billy Cunningham or Bobby Jones.

Bobby Jones never had this level of offensive skills. 

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2023, 05:29:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Cooper Flagg putting on a show. Lebron and CP3 in attendance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4WGjwbF7Q
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2023, 05:45:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’ve watched a bit of Cooper Flagg’s highlights recently, and physically he reminds me of Billy Cunningham or Bobby Jones.

Bobby Jones never had this level of offensive skills.
He reminds me of Andrei Kirilenko on defence. Just everywhere. Haven't seen enough of full game footage to know what his offence is really like
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2023, 12:05:27 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2023, 12:52:26 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Great player, seems to have it all.  But why do these highlight reels focus so much on dunks?  Sure, he has long arms and can jump.  That is not what is going to get him to the NBA.  I just get so bored watching dunk after dunk.

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2023, 01:04:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'm not a Maine native, tho I did live there part of my child hood. Its super exciting to have a stud-level New England ball player showing out.

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2023, 02:02:36 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Great player, seems to have it all.  But why do these highlight reels focus so much on dunks?  Sure, he has long arms and can jump.  That is not what is going to get him to the NBA.  I just get so bored watching dunk after dunk.

That's today's NBA for you. Consider the large number of players nowadays who make it to the NBA on athleticism/leaping ability but can hardly shoot a lick.

As for Flagg, it's really cool to see a fellow Mainah playing so well. "Good basketball player" and "Maine" rarely go together, LOL.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2023, 02:13:54 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Looks solid on D, but he's 6'8" and looks like a 7 footer. Hopefully he grows a few more inches to make up for the lack of athletic ability. Or maybe since he's only 15, his athletic comes ability comes later? I just remember KG about the Same age and a little bigger flying around the court.  But at 15, he's got a chance for both to happen.

"lack of athletic ability?  LOL!! Kid's a stud.

He looks like a crazy good athlete from what I've seen in videos. I think can we dismiss his competition in Maine, but not if he's dominating national AAU tournaments and the like. I've seen that he is the #2 prospect in the US. I don't think he earned that with a lack of athleticism.

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2023, 07:51:57 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
“I heard a rumor that my boy Cooper Flagg was at Jayson Tatum’s camp and he was busting Brad Beal 1-on-1, and Brad Beal got mad at him. Started cussing him out,” Brian Scalabrine said on Tuesday's Starting Lineup show on NBA Radio.

“This dude is a major trash-talker. … So I guess the rumor is that Brad Beal and him were squaring off 1 on 1 and Brad Beal was taking it lightly. It’s a high school kid. Then Cooper started giving it to him. And I guess the rumor is, Cooper started talking trash and Bradley Beal got mad. Really mad.”
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 08:01:08 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2023, 08:02:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
“I heard a rumor that my boy Cooper Flagg was at Jayson Tatum’s camp and he was busting Brad Beal 1-on-1, and Brad Beal got mad at him. Started cussing him out,” Brian Scalabrine said on Tuesday's Starting Lineup show on NBA Radio.

“This dude is a major trash-talker. … So I guess the rumor is that Brad Beal and him were squaring off 1 on 1 and Brad Beal was taking it lightly. It’s a high school kid. Then Cooper started giving it to him. And I guess the rumor is, Cooper started talking trash and Bradley Beal got mad. Really mad.”
I get a feeling footage of this would have emerged
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2023, 08:09:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I get a feeling footage of this would have emerged

You would think so.  Scal seemingly wouldn't be the one and only guy to be broadcasting this story.

But I don't care.   It's adding to the legend of Cooper Flagg.  We don't get stuff like this in my tiny section of the world.  I don't think many folks from bigger parts of the world can understand what a small blip on the map Newport, Maine is.  I would love this kid if he was projected to go late in the first round.  To have a top-3 prospect that lives 25 miles from me?  Amazing stuff.  I think Mainers -- particularly central or northern Mainers -- embrace him like the rest of the country embraced Lebron when he was an 18 year old.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2023, 08:28:56 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I think that story is more about Beal's anger than anything else. I would expect a 6'8 prospect of Flagg's caliber to be able to destroy a 6'3/6'4 undersized gunner who is known as a turnstile defensively in a 1v1 scenario. Id be a lot more surprised if he was able to score on Tatum or somebody within his height range. Or somebody who is known as an nba level defender.

Edit: Came off kind of negative, I think the kid is a stud. His defensive feel is other worldly. It is crazy to me he isn't ranked #1 which should be a testament to how good Boozer's kid is.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 08:56:26 AM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2023, 11:20:57 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

That's today's NBA for you. Consider the large number of players nowadays who make it to the NBA on athleticism/leaping ability but can hardly shoot a lick.

As for Flagg, it's really cool to see a fellow Mainah playing so well. "Good basketball player" and "Maine" rarely go together, LOL.
Hey now, Flagg's got the potential to be the best Maine-born basketball player since... Cindy Blodgett? Broadening out to other team sports he's right up there with, uh, Roger Levesque?

That's royalty right there.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2023, 11:50:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Hey now, Flagg's got the potential to be the best Maine-born basketball player since... Cindy Blodgett? Broadening out to other team sports he's right up there with, uh, Roger Levesque?

That's royalty right there.

Cindy Blodgett is royalty, man.  She had a legit cult following. 

But, we don't have a lot.  There are a few guys who played at Maine Central Institute (Caron Butler, Sam Cassell, Brad Miller, Cuttino Mobley), but they weren't Mainers.  Then there are guys who were born here, but didn't stay long, like Duncan Robinson and, NHL-wise, Mike DiPietro.

I would guess that the pro athlete who the state has most embraced is Mike Bordick.  He wasn't born here, but he went to high school and college in-state.  The other contender who non-hardcore NASCAR fans might not recognize is Ricky Craven.  Both are from Hampden, Maine, next door to Bangor.  (Interesting that the Portland area hasn't produced many pro athletes.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes