Author Topic: Final Roster Spot  (Read 4995 times)

Re: Final Roster Spot
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 12:06:15 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Tacko, elevate the contract and get Madar on a two-way.  Why not, it's the 15th spot....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 01:10:30 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Devonte Green is signed but not guaranteed as I understand it. I would say that Edwards and Ojeleye are equally expendable in terms of potential cuts if a better player is available through trade or whatever.

As to Semi, he is a useful player for the deep bench.   Provide some versatility that is very helpful in that role.  I would not hesitate to trade or cut him for a better player but for now, glad to have him.  Edwards, not so much.  He can shoot but that is about all.  Not nearly as versatile or useful as Semi so more expendable in my opinion.

I've heard Edwards can shoot. I've yet to see it. He's kind of a streak shooter that doesn't Streak.

Well, you could say he’s on Miss Streak. He’s fairly consistent at missing shots ever since last years preseason ended
- LilRip

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 02:09:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jared Weiss: Ainge says he’s amazed but he caliber of players who are still free agents right now, but he wants to go into camp giving players who didn’t play much last year a chance to show what they can do before going to the FA market to round out the roster. That’s vital for Javonte Green 2 hours ago – via Twitter JaredWeissNBA

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 02:24:52 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Jared Weiss: Ainge says he’s amazed but he caliber of players who are still free agents right now, but he wants to go into camp giving players who didn’t play much last year a chance to show what they can do before going to the FA market to round out the roster. That’s vital for Javonte Green 2 hours ago – via Twitter JaredWeissNBA

That's interesting. I wonder what guys he has his eyes on. TP to you for that tidbit.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 03:29:21 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

That's interesting. I wonder what guys he has his eyes on. TP to you for that tidbit.

The one that got away...  Justise Winslow.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 03:47:20 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I wonder if he plans to look at what positions are weakest (or at least, what positions young players aren't stepping up at). If he had a position in mind, it would make sense to just sign someone now and then worry about who to keep later
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 03:59:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Not sure this is the guy we want to bring in.  If healthy, not a bad fit in terms of style of play and position but $13M is a lot for injury plagued 12 pts/6 rebs off the bench.

Winslow, who suffered a hip injury during a practice in July, is expected to return early in the season but may not be ready on "Day 1," according to Kleiman.

The injury-plagued Winslow, 24, averaged 11.3 points and 6.6 rebounds in 11 games with the Heat last season, but has not yet played for the Grizzlies since being acquired in a trade in February.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 04:06:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

If the quote is accurate, I think what Danny is saying is let's see what we have before trying to add to it.  I think they should wait until Jan or even Feb before deciding what pieces to add.  Let's see how injured Kemba is.  Let's see if Theis remembers how to shoot the 3.  See how the rookies and other non-rotation players step up.

Based on all that, it will be a clearer picture what we need. 

Plus I am not sure the FA market is where we will find the players but that is literally what Danny is quoted as saying.  We don't have any cap or exceptions (assuming the BAE is used for Teague, which is not know at this point) to sign any FAs.  We have TPEs out the wazoo so I see trades being the primary mechanism for bringing in players.

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 04:08:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I wonder if he plans to look at what positions are weakest (or at least, what positions young players aren't stepping up at). If he had a position in mind, it would make sense to just sign someone now and then worry about who to keep later

Probably true.  He’s not concerned about PG apparently:

Chris Forsberg
@ChrisForsberg_
·
7h
Danny Ainge on
@Toucherandrich
 on Kemba Walker’s knee woes: “I’m not worried about Kemba. He’ll be back. It’s an opportunity for Marcus, Jeff Teague, Payton Pritchard.”

Asked about Isaiah Thomas, Ainge notes he feels like team is well-stocked at position.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 04:27:10 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Not sure this is the guy we want to bring in.  If healthy, not a bad fit in terms of style of play and position but $13M is a lot for injury plagued 12 pts/6 rebs off the bench.

Winslow, who suffered a hip injury during a practice in July, is expected to return early in the season but may not be ready on "Day 1," according to Kleiman.

The injury-plagued Winslow, 24, averaged 11.3 points and 6.6 rebounds in 11 games with the Heat last season, but has not yet played for the Grizzlies since being acquired in a trade in February.

If it happens, I think it will happen mid season so the financial cost won’t be bad and only if Langford and Nesmith aren’t able to step up.  His defense and playmaking will be useful at the wing.  He’s not a good shooter, but he did shoot 38% two years in a row on low volume. 

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 04:35:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

He's not a free agent. He'd be great guy to plug in. Can handle ball, plays great defense, just is a poor shooter.  Would add to our toughness and physicality.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 04:44:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Winslow is a very underrated use of our TPE. He easily keeps us under the tax, he has a team option for 2021-22, he is big enough to play both forward positions, and he is a solid playmaker and defensive player. I also doubt he would cost anything of value and we would still have $15.5M in TPE to use next offseason.

I am not necessarily pushing for this move, but we shouldn't discount Danny's previous interest in the young man and the fact that he is still only 24.

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Four round Winslow .....fastest pick in the West ....North , East or south for that matter