Author Topic: Final Roster Spot  (Read 5052 times)

Final Roster Spot
« on: November 29, 2020, 09:46:34 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Javonte Green or ????

Who will be the 15th? 

The Homer in me would love to see IT brought back over green but I know that ship has sailed.  Anyone out there that could provide some bench scoring?

Re: Final Roster Spot
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 10:17:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Javonte Green or ????

Who will be the 15th? 

The Homer in me would love to see IT brought back over green but I know that ship has sailed.  Anyone out there that could provide some bench scoring?

TPE player team obtains down the line

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 10:40:03 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
As I’ve stated a couple of other spots, I’d sign Cheik Diallo to a vet min, non-guaranteed deal. Dude could be very effective as a plastic man 4 off the bench for the Cs. I’d be surprised if he couldn’t beat out one of Ojelaye, Edwards, or Green (all of which could likely be traded if not cut) in camp.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 08:33:09 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd leave it open incase of injury or if using TPE happens. Also it forces BS to use GW, Semi and Nesmith more.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 08:46:57 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'd leave it open incase of injury or if using TPE happens. Also it forces BS to use GW, Semi and Nesmith more.

Why would we want to do that? Semi pretty awful.
I would let Ojeleye go for a second round pick.
It's not that I hate him, I just don't think he helps us much.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 08:56:23 AM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 08:48:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, lol. Those other two I’d love to see get time, but not Semi!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 09:38:57 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
At this point I suspect the Cs just start the season with Green as the 15th man or leave the roster at 14. Either way I think they will give Nesmith, Langford (when healthy), and Semi a chance to earn the backup winging minutes. If all 3 struggle in the role then maybe they add a vet at the trade deadline.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 10:02:34 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I think he has to be doing stuff right in practice to still be here. So maybe with Hayward out and more regular minutes we might see why he is still here. It would be bad if he goes on to have a E. Moore type career and BS never got him minutes.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 10:30:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It’s a little strange we haven’t heard anything about training camp contracts; we can invite up to 20 players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:40:00 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It’s a little strange we haven’t heard anything about training camp contracts; we can invite up to 20 players.

This whole off-season is strange. I'm guessing we will soon.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 10:49:11 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

And the season is supposed to start in 3 weeks!
Yup

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 11:00:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

And the season is supposed to start in 3 weeks!

I'm still available.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Obviously Brad Stevens disagrees. He's put him in the rotation since his rookie year.

Obviously Danny Ainge disagrees, too. He's picked up Semi's option twice now.

It might be worth giving a thought to what their thinking is.

I simply don't understand your word 'awful'. If he were foul- or turnover-prone it would be plausible; but he's got the best turnover% on the team and he fouls at 3.8 per 100 possessions.

If he were wasting a ton of possessions I could understand 'awful' - but he's got a microscopic 9.7% usage rate.

If he zoned out on the court, if he were a poor team defender, 'awful' might ring true (although some casual fans might not notice); but he's an outstanding team defender.

Nearly 2/3 of his shots are 3's. He was fifth on the team in 3%; if he'd made one more of those on the season he would have been second on the team in %.

I think he has to be doing stuff right in practice to still be here. So maybe with Hayward out and more regular minutes we might see why he is still here.

He's getting minutes because he's doing stuff right in games. To get in the rotation on an NBA playoff team, a player needs to have something they can 'hang their hat on', as the old NBA saying goes.

For Semi, it's his remarkable defensive versatility. He has an unusual combination of speed, footwork, and strength. Add to that his anticipation, and you can put him on a tough cover like Siakam (as we saw in the playoffs), and he can stay in front without fouling and get a hand in his man's face.

It would be bad if he goes on to have a E. Moore type career and BS never got him minutes.

I don't think you're making a comp, since their games aren't very similar. I think that you mean that he might have the success that Moore has had. Whether losing that kind of potential is bad is a matter for debate, I think.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 11:30:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Devonte Green is signed but not guaranteed as I understand it. I would say that Edwards and Ojeleye are equally expendable in terms of potential cuts if a better player is available through trade or whatever.

As to Semi, he is a useful player for the deep bench.   Provide some versatility that is very helpful in that role.  I would not hesitate to trade or cut him for a better player but for now, glad to have him.  Edwards, not so much.  He can shoot but that is about all.  Not nearly as versatile or useful as Semi so more expendable in my opinion.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 11:53:42 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Devonte Green is signed but not guaranteed as I understand it. I would say that Edwards and Ojeleye are equally expendable in terms of potential cuts if a better player is available through trade or whatever.

As to Semi, he is a useful player for the deep bench.   Provide some versatility that is very helpful in that role.  I would not hesitate to trade or cut him for a better player but for now, glad to have him.  Edwards, not so much.  He can shoot but that is about all.  Not nearly as versatile or useful as Semi so more expendable in my opinion.

I've heard Edwards can shoot. I've yet to see it. He's kind of a streak shooter that doesn't Streak.