Author Topic: Patriots 2023 Season  (Read 197919 times)

Re: Patriots 2023 Season
« Reply #360 on: September 18, 2023, 05:41:12 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2540
These offensive players are absolutely pathetic. We didn't get more than 12 yards on a play until the 4th quarter.

These bums couldn't shake a tackle if their lives depended on it. They can't block either.

This offense is depressing to watch. And Belichick is too arrogant to hire a GM that actually knows what he's doing. And Bob Kraft is too old and weak to put his foot down.

This franchise is in big trouble.

« Reply #361 on: September 18, 2023, 09:09:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1666
  • What a Pub Should Be
So yeah 0-2 at home...panic time in Foxboro?

I don’t think so yet. Expectations for start of the year were low and two losses v. 2 good teams. If they lose to the Jets next week, then panic.   
I might be on an island but I thought Mac played well… again. True he doesn’t have enough arm strength or touch throwing long. Should have hit Gosecki.

I don't think he played very well. The INT, overthrowing Gesicki, taking a sack instead of throwing it away ... the Pats should definitely be open to upgrading at QB.

So 2 plays out of how many? The Int was bad, but considering the O-line is putrid, I think he did a decent job, overall. His stat line was very similar to Tua’s.
Mac has been pretty solid thus far, under tough circumstances

Agreed.  I don't really think he is the problem.   The offensive line is atrocious right now. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #362 on: September 18, 2023, 09:53:30 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2591

I don’t think so yet. Expectations for start of the year were low and two losses v. 2 good teams. If they lose to the Jets next week, then panic.   
I might be on an island but I thought Mac played well… again. True he doesn’t have enough arm strength or touch throwing long. Should have hit Gosecki.

I don't think he played very well. The INT, overthrowing Gesicki, taking a sack instead of throwing it away ... the Pats should definitely be open to upgrading at QB.

So 2 plays out of how many? The Int was bad, but considering the O-line is putrid, I think he did a decent job, overall. His stat line was very similar to Tua’s.
Mac has been pretty solid thus far, under tough circumstances

Agreed.  I don't really think he is the problem.   The offensive line is atrocious right now.

Imagine Mac with a good line.  He'd still struggle with zip on the long ball, but would have time to locate 2nd options and the running game would open things for him.  Even as is, receivers are getting open quickly and he's getting the ball to them pretty well.  He was 31-42.  Not bad considering he gets to look at one option before things start to close in on him. Threw a couple of nice balls on the run last night.  He also picked up some decent yardage with his feet.  He isn't Brady and he isn't a top tier QB at the moment.  But the guy has been accurate and the chains have moved.  Unfortunately he doesn't have a game-breaker and the chains move slowly.  Need the ability to pick up big chunks of yards if this team is going to score the 27-35 points they'll need to score to win enough games to be a playoff contender. 

« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2023, 11:24:13 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 328

It was three plays I mentioned, not two, and they were pretty big plays. Besides that, nearly all his throws are short-distance and without much zip. The O-line is indeed bad, but even with a good O-line, I don't think we have a top-tier talent at QB, probably more of a game manager type.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2023, 01:38:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1584
Pats keep showing fight down the stretch, but just aren't good enough to do anything with it.  If they can't beat the Jets on Sunday, they might as well enter the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2023, 01:48:26 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2591
Pats keep showing fight down the stretch, but just aren't good enough to do anything with it.  If they can't beat the Jets on Sunday, they might as well enter the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.

I’m good with that I guess- but you know as well as I do that this team won’t tank and that they’re too good not to win at least 5 or 6.
I think Kraft would have to fire Bill after the Jets game and then proceed with a fire sale for any chance of tanking.

« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2023, 01:55:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

They're not going to tank.  Ridiculous to even assume they would.

« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2023, 01:56:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 3119
  • On To Banner 18!

If they lose this Sunday, they should. They'll be 0-4 if they lose to NYJ since there's no chance they are beating Dallas on the road Week 4. At that point, tank.

Of course I hope they actually win this next week. And I believe they will.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2023, 02:01:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

If they lose this Sunday, they should. They'll be 0-4 if they lose to NYJ since there's no chance they are beating Dallas on the road Week 4. At that point, tank.

Breath slowly, they're...not....going....to....tank.

They're too good to effectively tank.   Who between Kraft & Belichick would even order the Code Red on the notion?  And have you seen the likes of Arizona, Houston, Chicago.  There is some absolute crap out there right now in the NFL.  They're not going to be bad enough to get a Caleb Williams.

Let's also remember they just lost to the Super Bowl runner-up in Philadephia & a team that was in the playoffs last season in MIA that is looking like the real deal again this season.  The schedule is brutal.  This is a better football team that the 2022 iteration. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 03:26:06 PM by Donoghus »

« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2023, 03:01:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 3119
  • On To Banner 18!

They're too good to effectively tank.   Who between Kraft & Belichick would even order the Code Red on the nation.  And have you seen the likes of Arizona, Houston, Chicago.  There is some absolute crap out there right now in the NFL.  They're not going to be bad enough to get a Caleb Williams.

Let's also remember they just lost to the Super Bowl runner-up in Philadephia & a team that was in the playoffs last season in MIA that is looking like the real deal again this season.  The schedule is brutal.  This is a better football team that the 2022 iteration.

Yeah the offense to me is still better and more functional than last year for sure. It's definitely a tougher schedule this year than last, especially the start and ends of the season.

If they can't beat Zach Wilson next week then I don't know what to say. I know it's a road game and the Jets D is elite, but still. I thought we'd lose Week 1 to PHI, but felt really good about last night and they looked pretty bad for a good chunk of the game and were playing from behind from the start. Ugly stuff
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2023, 04:50:37 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1045

I’m good with that I guess- but you know as well as I do that this team won’t tank and that they’re too good not to win at least 5 or 6.
I think Kraft would have to fire Bill after the Jets game and then proceed with a fire sale for any chance of tanking.

Honestly would not even object to that at that point. Time for some new bloods running the show, out with the old and in with the new.

#IJM (Idiot Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2023, 04:55:04 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
I have to say, that running start on that field goal block was amazing. But the NFL will ban that for sure next season...gives a disadvantage to the kicking team.

« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2023, 05:59:14 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 328

They're too good to effectively tank.   Who between Kraft & Belichick would even order the Code Red on the notion?  And have you seen the likes of Arizona, Houston, Chicago.  There is some absolute crap out there right now in the NFL.  They're not going to be bad enough to get a Caleb Williams.

It is, but the improvement may not be that significant (not to mention that the bar known as last season is pretty low). They have an actual OC, which is great, but the O-line is a constantly revolving door due to injuries, and includes a bunch of "depth" guys—which is a polite way of saying "guys who aren't great at their job."

They still have no legit WR1, the running game is stuck in the mud, and they keep running low-risk/low-reward plays like the lateral pass to the WR behind the LOS, which usually nets about 2 yards. Oh, and Mac's arm strength leaves something to be desired.

I know that the O-line is bad and Mac is young, but the overall development of the team is coming in very small increments—perhaps too small to amount to much this season. It's like last year's debacle of having two defense-oriented guys be the OCs set the team back a couple years.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #373 on: September 18, 2023, 08:05:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1584

If they lose to the Jets, I absolutely do not know they are too good to win 5 or 6.  I thought they were a 6 or 7 win team entering the year, a loss to Zach Wilson and I'm not sure they win more than 4.  I absolutely expect them to beat the Jets though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2023, 09:50:40 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
I like how Tyreek Hill commented about Patriots fans being one of the worst fanbases ever, saying nasty things that he wouldn't even say in church.

Ah yes Tyreek Hill, the child abuser and woman beater. Can brag about the game all he wants since he got the W, but when it comes to humanity...he should close his mouth lol.